Canada on Carival?

nana nancy

We did the 5-night in 2004 and the 4-night a few weeks ago. I posted a review of our 4-night cruise on the Carnival board. We really enjoyed both Saint John and Halifax; on both cruises, we went on our own rather than book excursions through the cruise line. In Saint John we took a one-hour tour, walked around the city, and had lunch at Steamer's, across the street from the pier. In Halifax (2004) we walked along the waterfront, went to the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic and the museum ship "Acadia," had lunch at one of the waterfront restaurants, walked up toward the Citadel and then back to the ship. On our 2006 visit we walked all the way up to the Citadel (didn't go in - thought we wouldn't have enough time), went to Keith's Brewery for their tour and tasting, had lunch at Stayner's Wharf, then split up; DH took older sons on the Harbour Hopper tour while I took youngest son on the Theodore Tugboat harbour tour. If we go back (I'm very open to another sailing on Victory), I think I'd like to rent a car and see a bit more outside town.

If you've done Caribbean cruises, you will find that this cruise has a different feel to it - no nighttime deck parties, less crowded swimming pools (no problem with chair hogs, though). Being in the North Atlantic, you may sail in and out of fog. In 2004 we had dolphins swimming alongside the ship on the way back to New York. Sailing from NYC is a great experience; I'd also recommend waking early the last morning to experience the approach to NYC at dawn.

• 2 weeks later...

We did a NYC to St Johns & Halifax on the Victory in 2003. It was our first cruise and we were immediately hooked on cruising. We loved everything about it- good food, great entertainment and amazing service. We went in July and it was a little cool. In my opinion it was too cool for swimming but beautiful for sitting on deck by the pool. Bring lightweight jackets. Since this was our first cruise we took the ship sponsored excursions. We went to Peggy's Cove in Halifax. We then walked along the waterfront. There was a crystal factory where you can watch them blow the glass- very interesting. In St. Johns we went to the Moosehead Brewery combined with a city tour.

I would not hesitate to recommend this cruise.

• 2 months later...

Thanks so much for your input. We will be booking the Victory for a 7 day to New England/Canada in Sept 2007. We have never sailed out of New York before and are coming in a day early to stay in Manhatten so make sure we don't have any travel issues getting to the cruise.

Hubby has been to Manhatten several times, but I have not. We are very excited about it!!

We'll be sailing with about 8-12 adults on September 15, 2007. Researching private tour guides. On our British Isle cruise we hired private drivers in each port that took us to the "spots" where the locals go... it was so incredible. We're hoping for the same thing in New England/Canada.

We'll be sailing with about 8-12 adults on September 15, 2007. Researching private tour guides. On our British Isle cruise we hired private drivers in each port that took us to the "spots" where the locals go... it was so incredible. We're hoping for the same thing in New England/Canada.

Please post all the info you find. We have a cabin booked (as of this morning) for the 29th...just a couple of weeks behind you.

This will be our first time to this area and am very excited about it!

• 1 month later...

BabySis,

Hubster, Randall and I ( Julie) are sailing on the same date as you. Come and join our roll call.:D

We did the 4 nighter twice. Had a nice time. It is not a Caribbean island, but very convenient and a nice get away, esp for people like us who live close to the pier. A cruise is a cruise! ;) We are doing the 5 nighter in July as a family reunion with DH'es family. 2 questions: 1) we did the town tour which took us to the Titanic cemetary that I really enjoyed. I would like to go back to the cemetary alone, not part of a tour. Does anyone know (I can't remember!) if it's in walking distance of the ship? Also, I think there was a free bus, Fred, you could ride, tho we never used it. Can Fred take me to the cemetary? :p 2) No deck parties on the 5 nighter?? Say it ain't so! :( There wasn't on the 4 nighter, but I was hoping the extra day they would have one. I always thought it was a lot of fun and hoped my DH's family could experience it. Also, (okay, I guess I have 3 questions!) I know they will have Captain's Welcome Aboard party on the lst formal night. Do they also have repeater's party? They didn't on the 4 nighter. Thanks for any help. Now I will try to post this. Tried to submit it 3x and wouldn't go thru. :mad: BTW, we are going on Victory.

• 3 weeks later...

We went on the five night Victory cruise to Canada last September. The weather was perfect every day. We did the St. Martins tour out of St. John and the Peggys Cover by Land and Sea out of Halifax. Both excursions were really nice. On the boat ride to Peggys Cove we saw a pod of dolphins and a whale. With that in mind, it was VERY bumpy the entire way. One poor guy got sea sick about 5 minutes out. He didn't like the boat ride much after that. We had deck parties and games on deck just about every day because the weather was so nice. The only day we had fog was the last sea day and it burned off by noon. We really enjoyed the Victory. Only minor problem we had was finding the right way to the dining room. It can be confusing...Or was it the bloody marys and Candian beer that made us confused????:p

One thing, make sure you get up early when getting into Halifax. An older gentleman and a band (Bagpipes and drum) greet you at the pier as the ship is docking and declares the day for you. Really neat. In St John as you are leaving, a solo bagpipe player plays as you depart. Once again, pretty neat.

Tom

We are sailing also 9/29/07--Wanting to stay a day before & a day after---any suggestions-we are from Louisiana

I am no expert on NY but here is what my family and I experienced. We stayed at a Holiday Inn around 54th street. It was a nice/older hotel and easy walking distance to every thing. The people in NY City are not what I expected. From T.V. you see crowded sidewalks, rude people, etc. It was far from that. The people were very friendly, always willing to help and enjoyed that you were seeing their city. Some friends of ours met us to take the same cruise and we went to a couple of bars. In every bar we went to, after the second or third round, the bartender would come around and say this round is on me (maybe because the drinks were expensive...hahahahahaha). Regardless it was a nice touch that you don't find in other cities. We walked around Central Park, walked down to Times Square, even walked at night down 5th ave to eat at a famous Italian eatery that had great Pizza. Like I said, I am no expert on NY City but I loved it. The Staten Island Ferry is free and goes right by the Statue of Liberty coming and going. Pretty cool if you don't really care about going up in her. I am sure that others have had better/worse times than us but we are going back in September for a few days. That should tell you something....

Tom

I know they will have Captain's Welcome Aboard party on the lst formal night. Do they also have repeater's party? They didn't on the 4 nighter.

Karen - There's no past guest party on the 4-nighter, but there should be one on the 5-nighter.

Lisalisa - If you go over to the "East Coast Departures" board, there's a fair amount of information about things to do in NYC. There's way too many things available than can be done in a few days - or even longer. I'm not a local, just a very frequent visitor - but here's what my family did the last time I brought everyone with me: Breakfast - Empire State Building - walk up to Grand Central Station - lunch - Broadway matinee ("Beauty and the Beast") - walk to Rockefeller Center - Mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral - Dinner - back to hotel. That's without setting foot out of Midtown Manhattan between 34th Street and 50th Street. The NYC Visitors' bureau website is http://www.nycvisit.com/home/index.cfm

I'm interested in tours available in Saint John. Last time we did the one-hour around town tour and then just walked on our own. I'd like to see more this time, maybe the reversing rapids. Does anyone have any suggestions for tours?

Archived