Help - NYC

sunraiser

My husband and I will be at NYC on 12/01/06. This is our first trip to NYC. We plan to take the hop on-and-off bus, but it cost $40.00 per day per person for unlimited ride. Is it worth? or do we get a better discount by using local bus system?

I don't belive frankly it it worth it. For $7.00 you can get an unlimited pass for a day on the NY subway and bus system. They go the same places faster. The bus tour does give you commentary you can't get elsewhere but the city system is faster...

The bus tour does give you commentary you can't get elsewhere but the city system is faster...

Absolutely true (and I'm a licensed NYC tour guide). What I would suggest is that you buy a current guidebook (Michelin, Frommer's, whatever), read it--and I mean REALLY read it--then make a list of the things that interest you, and a schedule of seeing these things using bus/subway maps. Now, here's the downside to that: a good tour may show you things you didn't know you would find interesting until you saw them. For instance: I know the history of many of the people buried in the Trinity Church (@ Wall Street) graveyard, I can show you where Katharine Hepburn lived, where James Cagney and the Marx Brothers grew up (not together), exactly where the Whispering Wall is located in Grand Central Terminal (http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickgray165689494/), old Jewish cemeteries (http://www.jewishgen.org/cemetery/northamerica/nyc.html#MANHATTAN), etc. A bus tour (I don't work for any of them), though somewhat expensive, will give you a quick overview of the city and you can then come back and explore what interests you at your leisure.

Absolutely true (and I'm a licensed NYC tour guide). What I would suggest is that you buy a current guidebook (Michelin, Frommer's, whatever), read it--and I mean REALLY read it--then make a list of the things that interest you, and a schedule of seeing these things using bus/subway maps. Now, here's the downside to that: a good tour may show you things you didn't know you would find interesting until you saw them. For instance: I know the history of many of the people buried in the Trinity Church (@ Wall Street) graveyard, I can show you where Katharine Hepburn lived, where James Cagney and the Marx Brothers grew up (not together), exactly where the Whispering Wall is located in Grand Central Terminal (http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickgray165689494/), old Jewish cemeteries (http://www.jewishgen.org/cemetery/northamerica/nyc.html#MANHATTAN), etc. A bus tour (I don't work for any of them), though somewhat expensive, will give you a quick overview of the city and you can then come back and explore what interests you at your leisure.

Thanks I am sometime accused of being a know it all about NYC but its nice to be agreed with. A lot of people take the bus and they do give interesting history(which is sometimes not true- the tour guides sometimes make it up) but any good guidebook or guide can give you insight that will make it more enjoyable.

PS Grant is really buried in Grants tomb although when it was in disrepair the family(which is still living in NY) threatened to remove him..

Where can I find the best/easiest to follow maps of NYC bus/subway system?

We have taken the tour buses (double-decker red ones) and love them. Especially if it is your first time in NYC or you are taking someone who hasn't been there, the buses are a great way to get an overview of the whole area and then as mentioned before, go back to the areas that interest you using the subway system. We bought tickets that were for two days and went on all the "loops".

We enjoyed a bike tour through Cental Park - it's such a huge park - and we enjoyed seeing it that way. A wonderful tour is the Greenwich Village Gourmet walking tour. I've done it twice. There is also a tour of all the great places to get pizza in Brooklyn, etc. with tasting at each one. A great italian restaurant in the Time Square area (I think) is Tony D'Napolis. Great food, atmosphere and huge portions.

We're going back in May right before a NCL Spirit cruise with one of our sons and his wife who haven't been to NYC before. We plan on doing the bus tour loops - so they can see just about everything in general.

We love NYC! Hope you enjoy your trip.

We have taken the tour buses (double-decker red ones) and love them. Especially if it is your first time in NYC or you are taking someone who hasn't been there, the buses are a great way to get an overview of the whole area and then as mentioned before, go back to the areas that interest you using the subway system. We bought tickets that were for two days and went on all the "loops".

We enjoyed a bike tour through Cental Park - it's such a huge park - and we enjoyed seeing it that way. A wonderful tour is the Greenwich Village Gourmet walking tour. I've done it twice. There is also a tour of all the great places to get pizza in Brooklyn, etc. with tasting at each one. A great italian restaurant in the Time Square area (I think) is Tony D'Napolis. Great food, atmosphere and huge portions.

We're going back in May right before a NCL Spirit cruise with one of our sons and his wife who haven't been to NYC before. We plan on doing the bus tour loops - so they can see just about everything in general.

We love NYC! Hope you enjoy your trip.

Debbie,

This is our first trip to NYC. We're taking the Explorer of the Seas on Friday, Nov. 3 and staying at the Newark Airport Marriott for the night of 11/2. So our time is very limited. We'll only have from around 1:00 pm on Thursday and that evening to tour NYC. I had pretty much decided to do the Gray Line In a New York Minute Tour, but then I thought it might be cheaper just to try the subway....but the subway system really makes me nervous. Where can I find a good map of the subway system for lower and midtown Manhattan so that if time permits we can go back to our favorite points of interest after doing the Gray Line Tour? The Gray Line Tour only lasts until 7:00 PM. Thank you!

If you want accurate information on independent touring, list your sites, then you will get the traveling information and feed back on your choices.

Another great option is to hook up with Big Apple Greeters. They do a very nice job on a selected area- for free- but do take the guide to lunch or at least offer a snack. Advanced reservations are necessary.

I do find that people sometimes do have problems on buses and subways in NYC. I help out when I can and so will other New Yorker's. But if you make a plan NOW, you can get the detailed information in advance.

Debbie,

This is our first trip to NYC. We're taking the Explorer of the Seas on Friday, Nov. 3 and staying at the Newark Airport Marriott for the night of 11/2. So our time is very limited. We'll only have from around 1:00 pm on Thursday and that evening to tour NYC. I had pretty much decided to do the Gray Line In a New York Minute Tour, but then I thought it might be cheaper just to try the subway....but the subway system really makes me nervous. Where can I find a good map of the subway system for lower and midtown Manhattan so that if time permits we can go back to our favorite points of interest after doing the Gray Line Tour? The Gray Line Tour only lasts until 7:00 PM. Thank you!

Just a quick question. How are you going to get from New Jersey to Manhattan to catch this tour? You will have to take a car service, taxi or PATH train to and from Newark to NYC. It appears you are trying to save some money by not taking the tour, but the New Jersey airport location for "home base" adds to the cost.

The PATH train is cheap, but the other transport is fairly expensive. If you can handle the PATH train, you can certainly use the subway. And the Harbor cruises (Statue of Liberty) are easily booked on the spot, as well as sightseeing to the Empire State Bldg. Really no need for a tour-especially since you already have to figure out how to get to Manhattan. Food for thought!!!

Just a quick question. How are you going to get from New Jersey to Manhattan to catch this tour? You will have to take a car service, taxi or PATH train to and from Newark to NYC. It appears you are trying to save some money by not taking the tour, but the New Jersey airport location for "home base" adds to the cost.

The PATH train is cheap, but the other transport is fairly expensive. If you can handle the PATH train, you can certainly use the subway. And the Harbor cruises (Statue of Liberty) are easily booked on the spot, as well as sightseeing to the Empire State Bldg. Really no need for a tour-especially since you already have to figure out how to get to Manhattan. Food for thought!!!

We chose to stay at the Newark Airport Marriott because it was cheaper, but we didn't realise how expensive and confusing it was going to be to get to lower manhattan....you live and you learn! Btw, I got the room thru priceline. Plus, the Marriott has a free shuttle from the airport and it is also close to the Cape Liberty Pier.

. And the Harbor cruises (Statue of Liberty) are easily booked on the spot, as well as sightseeing to the Empire State Bldg. Really no need for a tour-especially since you already have to figure out how to get to Manhattan. Food for thought!!!

For the St. of Liberty, IF you want to enter the base, reservations ARE necessary for the pass. I would not consider a landing without one. The Empire State Building also is a time eater. Better is to get a timed ticket and go up the Rock instead. You can be hours in line at the Empire State Building. Not a good use with short time.

We chose to stay at the Newark Airport Marriott because it was cheaper, but we didn't realise how expensive and confusing it was going to be to get to lower manhattan....you live and you learn! Btw, I got the room thru priceline. Plus, the Marriott has a free shuttle from the airport and it is also close to the Cape Liberty Pier.

If you have to take the train to NYC (PATH), then just go on about your sightseeing with taxis and subway. Forget the tour.

When you arrive Newark, take the hotel shuttle to the hotel, check in and drop off your luggage. Then when you are ready, have the hotel shuttle take you BACK to the airport. Take the AirTrain to the Newark Penn Station transit terminal. Get on the PATH train to NYC. Make sure you get on the train to Journal Sq., Grove St. and World Trade Center. When you get off at the WTC, you are not very far from Battery Park, where you will catch the harbor cruise to see the Statue of Liberty. Take a taxi to Battery Park. Enjoy walking around in Battery Park. There is a lot of history to see.

After you have cruised the harbor, you can take taxi or subway up to the 33rd/34th St. station. To the East is the Empire State Bldg., to the West is Macy's and slightly to the south is Madison Sq. Garden. All within walking distance of the subway station. Also a really good little steak house (not fancy in the least, but pretty good food for cheap) on the corner of 6th and 34th.

You have now done most of the highlights on your tour AND gotten yourself into Manhattan for a lot less money than the tour. You now have the rest of the day/evening to go back south to Greenwich Village, go north to Central Park, walk along Broadway and see all the theaters.

You can reverse the trip to NJ to get back to your hotel (make sure the hotel runs the shuttle van all night). Or if you are really tired, you can always cab it back to NJ. If you need more help, just ask. Enjoy!!!

If you have to take the train to NYC (PATH), then just go on about your sightseeing with taxis and subway. Forget the tour.

When you arrive Newark, take the hotel shuttle to the hotel, check in and drop off your luggage. Then when you are ready, have the hotel shuttle take you BACK to the airport. Take the AirTrain to the Newark Penn Station transit terminal. Get on the PATH train to NYC. Make sure you get on the train to Journal Sq., Grove St. and World Trade Center. When you get off at the WTC, you are not very far from Battery Park, where you will catch the harbor cruise to see the Statue of Liberty. Take a taxi to Battery Park. Enjoy walking around in Battery Park. There is a lot of history to see.

After you have cruised the harbor, you can take taxi or subway up to the 33rd/34th St. station. To the East is the Empire State Bldg., to the West is Macy's and slightly to the south is Madison Sq. Garden. All within walking distance of the subway station. Also a really good little steak house (not fancy in the least, but pretty good food for cheap) on the corner of 6th and 34th.

You have now done most of the highlights on your tour AND gotten yourself into Manhattan for a lot less money than the tour. You now have the rest of the day/evening to go back south to Greenwich Village, go north to Central Park, walk along Broadway and see all the theaters.

You can reverse the trip to NJ to get back to your hotel (make sure the hotel runs the shuttle van all night). Or if you are really tired, you can always cab it back to NJ. If you need more help, just ask. Enjoy!!!

Greatam.....you've made my trip so much easier. Wish I could hug you for your great help!! I'm going to print out your instructions and take them with me on my adventure in NYC!! Would you happen to know where I can find a good map showing the transportation system in NYC? How do you know so much about NYC? Have you lived there before?

Thank you so much for your help!!!

For the St. of Liberty, IF you want to enter the base, reservations ARE necessary for the pass. I would not consider a landing without one. The Empire State Building also is a time eater. Better is to get a timed ticket and go up the Rock instead. You can be hours in line at the Empire State Building. Not a good use with short time.

I agree with you IF OP was going to the Statue itself, but the OP was thinking of taking the Grayline tour which only includes the harbor cruise. That one is easily booked on the spot.

I have never waited over 15 minutes to get into the Empire State Bldg, but then again, I have never tried to do it during peak tourist season either. And an awful lot of times after 6:00PM. The OP is going to be there in early November-I really don't think it will be a problem. And just going to the observatory and seeing the bldg should be enough. Heck, if you work it right, you could see the Rock, too and spend some time in the evening in the Village.

OP really only has about 8-10 hours. Transit time to and from NJ hotel will eat up at least 2 hours. Just trying to cram in the highlights without too much hassle.

Sunraiser - you have gotten some great advice here. I found my subway maps/ etc. a couple of different places...right at the subway stations, and for my first trip I purchased one over the internet on, I believe on a NYC tourist site. Do a lot of googling and send off for a map. I have a laminated one that I love, plus I had an electronic one for my PDA. With the amount of time you have - I wouldn't miss the Statue of Liberty, Time Square, and if possible the Empire State Building. And you have got to experience the subways. They scared me at first, but now I enjoy them. They are a fast, convenient way to get around. Nighttime seems to be less busy at the Empire State Bldg and the views from up there are incredible - especially looking down at all the other buildings. Have a great time!

Sunraiser - you have gotten some great advice here. I found my subway maps/ etc. a couple of different places...right at the subway stations, and for my first trip I purchased one over the internet on, I believe on a NYC tourist site. Do a lot of googling and send off for a map. I have a laminated one that I love, plus I had an electronic one for my PDA. With the amount of time you have - I wouldn't miss the Statue of Liberty, Time Square, and if possible the Empire State Building. And you have got to experience the subways. They scared me at first, but now I enjoy them. They are a fast, convenient way to get around. Nighttime seems to be less busy at the Empire State Bldg and the views from up there are incredible - especially looking down at all the other buildings. Have a great time!

This thread has been very helpful to me also....thanks to everyone for their advice!!

Ahhh!! Good ole New York...the most fabulous city in the entire world!! It is tradition for me to go back every year in October or December and I never get tired of it!! I hope to move there soon - and get out of this frying pan we call Miami!! I need the cold winter air!!

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/

Here is NYC transportation information.

I travel to NYC about 4 times per year, for several days each. I have always seen lines for the Empire State Building, actually there are 2 lines if you do not purchase an advance ticket. Evenings are prime time. So I suggest you call them direct and ask them their wait times. They will tell you. :) I've done this several times including, last time, end of July.

The advantage of the Rock is timed tickets, but going at night is less scenic than the Empire state due to the total darkness of Central Park.

Hi, Sorry to interrupt this thread, but I have a question about Restaurants in the Theater district on the other NY Thread below! Posting again here to see if someone can help me! We are leaving in the wee hours of the morning so sure would appreciate some response today!

Thank you, Rita

Rita,

I just came to this thread and this is the first time I've seen your post.

What are you looking for in the threatre district? I'd be happy to make some recommendations. What are your requirements - what are you looking for?

To all: Free subway maps are available in the subway stations. Just ask the person in the booth for one.

Jane

Rita,

I just came to this thread and this is the first time I've seen your post.

What are you looking for in the threatre district? I'd be happy to make some recommendations. What are your requirements - what are you looking for?

To all: Free subway maps are available in the subway stations. Just ask the person in the booth for one.

Jane

Lol! I apologize for sounding so vague. When I stated that I had asked this question in the Thread below, I wasn't very specific. I mean't the Thread called NY Questions. Anyway I will ask again here. I guess I was trying to prevent repeating myself by having someone read my question on the other thread, which I think has been forgotten!

Okay, we are staying at the Millinium Hotel for a 2 day pre-cruise. We will been seeing the play "Spamalot" and would like some feedback on whether it is good, great, or average.

Now we would like to go to a fun, atmospheric (is that a word :confused: ) Italian Restaurant somewhere not too far from the Theater. But we had heard that there was one/some (Please excuse me for using this reference as I have heard some NY'ers might be offended by this term, but not sure how else to explain) "Soprano" type place that has you go downstairs into a basement like setting for dinner! Now this may be in another area of NYC, so would still like to know if you know of such a place/places! If not, then maybe you can suggest one that is a little different, but not sky high in price!

Last time we stayed in NY and saw a play, we just ate at the "Stage Deli" which was a nice little after theater place for sandwiches! We have one in Las Vegas! But this time we will be celebrating my birthday, and would like to try something different with good food and atmosphere!

Whrew! My computer is out of breath! :D

Thank you for any help you can give us!

Rita

Greatam.....you've made my trip so much easier. Wish I could hug you for your great help!! I'm going to print out your instructions and take them with me on my adventure in NYC!! Would you happen to know where I can find a good map showing the transportation system in NYC? How do you know so much about NYC? Have you lived there before?

Thank you so much for your help!!!

Your welcome.

I have never lived in NYC, but own a global logistics/trucking company and our main route is NYC/NJ to the West Coast.

When I first started the company in 1976, the majority of my customers were in lower Manhattan-Chinatown and Little Italy, the Fulton St. fish market and the W. 14th St meat market. So I would take the PATH train from NJ (only really good place to park a semi for a couple of days) and go into NY to collect money and schmooze the customers. I also drove my semi all around NYC picking up and delivering food products. My favorite parking place for a semi is just north of Houston on the west side of Ave. of the America's, but you can only park for about 12 hours. I learned my way around that part of the city pretty darn well-you don't want to get caught at a 12' overpass with a 13'6" semi trailer.

Now the company has grown and we have an office in the Bronx, just outside Hunt's Point Market (the US' largest produce market). I am in the Bronx office once a month. It is kind of a company ritual to take any new driver who has not been in NYC before on a scenic tour. So down to Battery Park in a cab from Houston St., then drive North on Ave of the America's and park just below the Empire State Bldg. If I could shrink the picture which is hanging on the wall in the Bronx office, you can see 5 of our company semi's parked on 34th outside the Empire State Bldg. Picture was taken in 1994-all new trucks and new drivers who had never been to NYC, and everyone had 1:00AM deliveries down at the 14th St. meat market. What better way to kill a little time than go see the Empire State Bldg!!!

I can get around in a semi or on the subway and over the last 30 years, have spent a tremendous amount of time in all areas of NYC. But I am truly a disaster in car. Left the company car parked at a gas station on Ave. A one night. Never did think I was going to find it again. Hope you enjoy NYC as much as I do!!!

Archived