Can I Bring it on the Airplane?

sail7seas

One week ago I flew first class on Delta from Atlanta to Laguardia (761 miles) and was served their usual snack of a turkey roll sandwich, salad, and a brownie. Even though it isn't much, I certainly do hope they will continue serving on that flight since I go often and it is usually lunch time when we go.

Robin7......Do you know when the 1550 mile rule for food service will go into effect? I guess I will take my lunch when they stop serving......:(

THANK YOU, Waterbug. I like Trader Joe's and stop there regularly. I never noticed those pretzels but will be looking for them at my next stop there.

I feel good to now have a replacement for my jar of peanut butter.

Sail, I would be so delighted to send you those pretzels I mentioned. You have been very helpful to me over the years with questions I have had about HAL cruises that it would be my pleasure to send you some for you to try and see if you like them and if you do, you will know what you are looking for.

Do you remember a couple of years ago you gave me the fax number to the Maasdam? My husband needed to get a very important fax while we were on our New England/Canada cruise, and you were able to supply me with that important information. I got flamed a little because others felt that one shouldn't mix business with vacation, but DH was able to go because of being able to get that fax while away. Thanks again for that number!!!!

If you will, please email me an address where I can send the pretzels......perhaps your husband's office if you would prefer not to give out your home address. My email address is dblondheim@aol.com.

Diane

Oh Robin.......You have ' so climbed into my brain'. You think like I do.

I do not count on anyone to provide for us in any situation where we are able to provide for ourselves with proper pre-planning.

If I bring a muffin and never eat it; FINE!!! I'd so rather it go stale than that I'm stuck in an airport for two days with no food.

IMO......yours is a GREAT post.

Why, thank you! :::blushing::: You're very kind!

Robin

Robin7......Do you know when the 1550 mile rule for food service will go into effect? I guess I will take my lunch when they stop serving......:(

I think it's already in effect. At least, it was last week on dh's trip to Cinncitnatti. The policy is outlined on delta.com. Look under 'traveling and check-in,' then 'in-flight services,' and then 'food' for the details. It looks like it's only the snack basket for your 761 mile flight. My husband was NOT amused with this change, but I guess cost-cutting is better than bankruptcy! (And since we live near a hub for Delta, he's mostly on Delta.)

I was pleased with the new carry-on change today. We're flying to Korea in January, and I was not looking forward to a 14-hour flight without my water. I told my husband we'd be scouting around and buying the largest bottled water we could find after we got to the airport. I hope they don't raise the prices!!!!:eek:

Robin

I think it's already in effect. At least, it was last week on dh's trip to Cinncitnatti. The policy is outlined on delta.com. Look under 'traveling and check-in,' then 'in-flight services,' and then 'food' for the details. It looks like it's only the snack basket for your 761 mile flight. My husband was NOT amused with this change, but I guess cost-cutting is better than bankruptcy! (And since we live near a hub for Delta, he's mostly on Delta.)

I was pleased with the new carry-on change today. We're flying to Korea in January, and I was not looking forward to a 14-hour flight without my water. I told my husband we'd be scouting around and buying the largest bottled water we could find after we got to the airport. I hope they don't raise the prices!!!!:eek:

Robin

Thanks, Robin. We are also on Delta mostly because we live near a hub..... I was wondering the same about the prices in the airport for any of these liquids that we can now carry on. I also hope they don't raise the prices since we are a captive audience at that point with no other choices! Have a safe trip to Korea.

Sprocket - I just flew Southwest on Sunday from Rhode Island to Florida. It was a flight long enough for their "snack". The "snack" consisted of a very small bag of dry roasted peanuts and a larger bag of tasteless crackers shaped like airplanes. I was very glad I purchased some cracker packages at the airport to take on the plane and found a fruit cup to eat before we got on. DH had a greasy TGIFriday hamburger - ugh no way would I eat that before a 2.5 hour flight! I'm sorry that we can no longer bring youghurt on a plane - I always liked that instead of those horribly sweet, high calorie breakfst bars they serve for the morning "snack".

Sail, I would be so delighted to send you those pretzels I mentioned. You have been very helpful to me over the years with questions I have had about HAL cruises that it would be my pleasure to send you some for you to try and see if you like them and if you do, you will know what you are looking for.

Do you remember a couple of years ago you gave me the fax number to the Maasdam? My husband needed to get a very important fax while we were on our New England/Canada cruise, and you were able to supply me with that important information. I got flamed a little because others felt that one shouldn't mix business with vacation, but DH was able to go because of being able to get that fax while away. Thanks again for that number!!!!

If you will, please email me an address where I can send the pretzels......perhaps your husband's office if you would prefer not to give out your home address. My email address is dblondheim@aol.com.

Diane

Diane....

That is SO INCREDIBLY NICE OF YOU. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this. What a nice thing to do for me.

I will e-mail you to personally thank you.

(I actually do recall supplying the Maasdam Fax Number. DH still gets the ship's fax/telephone numbers before every cruise. Like your DH, there are times he must be reachable.)

Sprocket - I was very glad I purchased some cracker packages at the airport to take on the plane and found a fruit cup to eat before we got on. DH had a greasy TGIFriday hamburger - ugh no way would I eat that before a 2.5 hour flight! I'm sorry that we can no longer bring youghurt on a plane - I always liked that instead of those horribly sweet, high calorie breakfst bars they serve for the morning "snack".

I wish we could pick up cups of fruit in the airport. I've never seen it offered near the gates in Logan or FLL......maybe I'll have to look more closely. Sprocket......You and I seem to think like eachother as to 'airplane snacks'. :)

Sail7seas,

You mentioned in an earlier post that you have a Trader Joe’s in your area. You also mentioned that you liked the idea of the peanut butter filled pretzels that CrusinNana suggested. Trader Joes, sells peanut butter filled pretzels. They sell them both salted and unsalted.

If they're the ones I'm thinking of, they are not "pretzel-shaped" but look like little nuggets. They're pretty taste. I use Balance bars for snacks - stick a couple in my bag for work, beats donuts;)

If they're the ones I'm thinking of, they are not "pretzel-shaped" but look like little nuggets. They're pretty taste. I use Balance bars for snacks - stick a couple in my bag for work, beats donuts;)

Yes, nuggets! That's the word I needed to describe these tasty treats Thanks Copper10-8.....

Sail7seas,

Okay here is the scoop … as I type this I have a bag of Trader Joe’s Peanut Butter filled Pretzels in front of me and a pretzel in my mouth. Yes it is nugget shaped. It is a 16 oz bag. I am eating the ones “with no salt on the pretzel”. There are no preservatives. No artificial colors or flavors. There are 15 servings per bag. Each serving is 11 pieces and contains 150 calories. Total fat 8g; saturated fat 2 g; cholesterol 0mg;sodium 80mg; total carbohydrate 14 g; dietary fiber 1g,sugars 2 g and protein 5g. I agree with Copper and CrusinNana - they do taste good.

You are the BEST!!!! All of you who led me to peanut butter pretzels.

I got some today... from Trader Joes' and they are PERFECT~!~!~!~

Tasty; not too awful in the sugar and calories; travel easily and seem to be within 'the rules' for carrying on.

Thank you. I am very appreciative.

Anything with peanut butter tastes good:D !!!

I'm glad you found them, Sail, because I looked today at Publix and all they had was the Snyder's pretzel peanut butter "sandwiches". They are delicious, but not what you wanted.

Luckily I don't snack at all on airplanes (anymore) so it's not a problem.

Oh! BTW, Sail, I'm sure they have fruit at PBI, but I may be wrong. I think it's a Wolfgang Puck stand. They have yogurt, sandwiches and fruit. Must be at other airports, too.

Archived