Constellation Transatlantic April 2007

floatinrocks

I've cruised 6 times before but never a transatlantic. Seven days on the Atlantic Ocean is a wee bit worriesome. I've gotten seasick in friendlier waters. Being Cdn. we can't get the patch because it was taken off our shelves for some reason. I did read where someone got a shot on board and it worked.

I have registered for the Connections Party and gone to Celebrity Roll forums but perhaps one hasn't been started as yet. Although the indication was that some 34 others had registered. Maybe I'm in the wrong place to talk to them??

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Constellation is lovely- my favorite ship in the fleet so far.

I did the May 2005 Transatlantic on the Millenium and I was worried too. Fear not- the seas were not rough at all. In fact, I was astounded how smooth the crossing was. There is a product sold onboard in the liquor store called Bonine. If you do feel queasy- it is chewable and you will feel better in 10 minutes- I promise. Works like a charm.

There are shots that you can get if really ill and they knock you out for a while and then you feel better (according to my stepfather, who had one on the QE2).

Anyway, the southern eastbound passage was smooth for me- no issues with seasickness and loved the sea days.

We did the April 06 crossing. For about 36 hours, it was quite rough. Our stateroom was on 4, and we could see the waves cresting at porthole/window level--about 45-50 footers. Some folks didn't make it to supper, one show was cancelled (actually, think there was a substitution) because of the rolling. One elderly lady was on a fairly high level, and ,while changing from a wheel chair to bed, lost balance and hit her head badly enough that she was taken off by helicopter the next day (Brits to the rescue). Understand she did not have insurance, which could be costly.

Personally, it didn't bother me or my wife--

I've cruised 6 times before but never a transatlantic. Seven days on the Atlantic Ocean is a wee bit worriesome. I've gotten seasick in friendlier waters. Being Cdn. we can't get the patch because it was taken off our shelves for some reason. I did read where someone got a shot on board and it worked.

I have registered for the Connections Party and gone to Celebrity Roll forums but perhaps one hasn't been started as yet. Although the indication was that some 34 others had registered. Maybe I'm in the wrong place to talk to them??

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

We also were on the April/06 crossing. Yes, the seas can be rough, but my suggestion is to buy Bonine at your local drug store, and start taking it the morning you board the ship. That way it'll be in your system in case of rough seas. We took ours religiously twice a day, and did just fine.

Karyn

I believe that the April 2006 crossing left from Bayonne New Jersey not from Ft. Lauderdale.

There is a huge difference between the North Atlantic and the Southern Atlantic. The Constellation leaves from Ft. Lauderdale in April 2007 and I doubt that there will be as much motion. I know on the Millenium there wasn't any- it was smooth sailing.

I would suggest buying the Bonine. You can purchase in your pharmacy in Canada. I live in Montreal and have no problem purchasing. For me, it is a miracle drug. I, too, was panicked before my Transatlantic cruise. I took one a day and started the day before I left. No problems:D

• 2 months later...

If You Look At A Map That Shows The Curvature Of The Earth You Will See That The Most Direct Route Between Ft. Lauderdale And Ireland Is Not A Southerly Route. At One Point It Is Within 250 Miles Of Newfoundland. If I Were Going On That Crossing I Would Be Prepared For Almost Any Type Of Weather.

I just looked up the average temp for Ireland in April. This is what I found:

Dublin, Ireland

Average High 52 ºF

Average Low 41 ºF

Mean Temperature 47 ºF

Also looked up Paris in April:

Average high 60 ºF and low 41 ºF .

Based on this, I will be packing long pants and polar fleece/layers for day time!

Fort Lauderdale...

Average High 82 ºF

Average Low 68 ºF

Ww won't need many outfits for warmer weather, I guess.

Maine Cruiser

Archived