Anyone been to the butterfly farm?

waterbound

We are headed on our next cruise in a few weeks and while in GC we are doing the swim with the stingrays and then catching a taxi to the butterfly farm as one of the moms going with us is a huge butterfly freak and this is a surprise for her.. we're not telling her about it until we are headed to it.. Just wondering if anyone has been there and what did you think about it?? Where there plenty of butterflies?? Any pictures by chance??

We are headed on our next cruise in a few weeks and while in GC we are doing the swim with the stingrays and then catching a taxi to the butterfly farm as one of the moms going with us is a huge butterfly freak and this is a surprise for her.. we're not telling her about it until we are headed to it.. Just wondering if anyone has been there and what did you think about it?? Where there plenty of butterflies?? Any pictures by chance??

We did the butterfly farm a few yrs ago. If your moms a butterfly fan she won't be disappointed...There was butterflies everywhere and they land on you alot....There were different paths to take with different plants and different butterflies.

Have fun

We traveled to the butterfly farm in Feb of this year and found it a great treat. DH and I went as part of a planned excursion and felt we could have spent a great deal more time at the farm. Your plan to go independently is spot on. Make sure your camera is fully charged and be ready for natures beauty. The farm has several walking paths and secret sitting nooks. The butterfly area is approx 20x20 and packed with plants and butterflies.

Enjoy yourself.

• 1 month later...

so Waterbound, did you do the butterfly farm? in 2 1/2 weeks we head out on the Miracle and would love to check this out, but not sure if Carnival's excursion is worth it.

has anyone just gone to it on their own without an excursion?

Colleen

yes we did go to the butterfly farm on our own.. we actually did the stingray excursion with nativeway and asked them to drop us off at the butterfly farm on the way back which saved us having to pay for a taxi and they obliged..

It was nice and it was cool seeing all those butterflies.. I dont think I would do it twice but it was nice.. they give you a little tour and give you a background on butterflies which was interesting..

I have been to the Butterfly Farm in St Maarten, which I believe is very similar to the one in GC (may even be run by the same people). It is very beautiful and informative. I felt like I was in an idyllic Eden-like setting. Soft music is playing and there are water features - very relaxing. The butterflies are fabulous. Be sure to wear bright colors as the butterflies are attracted to those. Also, if you can go earlier in the morning - the better - as they are more active then. Unlike the rest of us who need that first cup of coffee.:D

A great trick I use to attract butterflies to me at our local butterfly garden exhibit is to bring a peach or some fruit, bite into and smear it on your arms and shoulders. I have had a half dozen flutterbys at once on me because I smell like food. hahaha!!!

here is a directory of photos from the last several summers. I do nature photography as a hobby... Can't wait to get some great shots here and maybe the Bacab Eco Adventure Park in Belize

http://home.xnet.com/~countzi/ccwings/2005/ccwings2005-0051m.jpg

http://home.xnet.com/~countzi/ccwings/

thanks for the opinions!!

Colleen

We traveled to the butterfly farm in Feb of this year and found it a great treat. DH and I went as part of a planned excursion and felt we could have spent a great deal more time at the farm. Your plan to go independently is spot on. Make sure your camera is fully charged and be ready for natures beauty. The farm has several walking paths and secret sitting nooks. The butterfly area is approx 20x20 and packed with plants and butterflies.

Enjoy yourself.

"The butterfly area is approx 20x20 and packed with plants and butterflies. "

That doesn't sound like it's a huge attraction, more like a nice thing to do as part of another shore excursion, but not as trip in itself. The reason I ask is that is one of the ship's tours in which I'm considering taking.

they have a website, but not much info on it - not even an address. I eventually e-mailed them (along with lots of searching) and found out their location. They are on a side street near the Marriott at Seven Mile Beach. If you're going to Rum Point, you're headed in the other direction. It is, however, only about a mile and a half north of the tender piers, so not TOO much out of the way, really. We're planning on walking from the pier when we get there next monday, so when we get back, I'll post a review of it - maybe even a few pix.

Nancy G.

• 1 month later...
"The butterfly area is approx 20x20 and packed with plants and butterflies. "

That doesn't sound like it's a huge attraction, more like a nice thing to do as part of another shore excursion, but not as trip in itself. The reason I ask is that is one of the ship's tours in which I'm considering taking.

You are correct.. Its not very big and not something I would do as an only excursion while on the island.. It only takes a total of about an hour or so to go thru the little tour and to walk around and look at the butterflies.. but if you are a butterfly lover its a great thing to do at least once..

You are correct.. Its not very big and not something I would do as an only excursion while on the island.. It only takes a total of about an hour or so to go thru the little tour and to walk around and look at the butterflies.. but if you are a butterfly lover its a great thing to do at least once..

Thanks for the information. Actually i have payed for another tour which is the Jeep tour with lunch which should be good. Unfortunaltly I won't be seeing the butterfly farm though.

Archived