Restaurant Recommendation in Venice

We will be arriving a few days early in Venice pre-cruise.

Can someone suggest a restaurant that has some ambiance but isn't too expensive ... for a group of cruise-message-boarders to finally meet?

The location isn't that important because it will give us all a chance to explore.

Thanks,

Cher

I'm not sure there are any in-expensive restaurants in Venice. I think the cheapest we managed to eat an evening meal was around 50 euros. That was a couple of pizzas, a couple of salads, a bottle of wine and a couple of bottles of bottled water. The food was good and the atmosphere was neat in that this was at a sideway cafe in one of the small squares away from the tourist area. The restaurants name was Ristoranta Pizzeria Antico Gatoleto. It is in the Campo S Maria Nova 6055.

The other restaurant I will mention is the Trattoria Cugnai, a small neighborhood restaurant run by three sisters. I had read about it on the Internet and it sounded like the right place to have a “real” Italian meal. For those who are shy about trying their Italian, Cugnai may be local but all three sisters understand and speak English. For those shy about spending money, expect to shell out 40 Euros per person for a meal including appetizer, entree, salad, wine and dessert if you add in a bottle of house wine. We went a little over that when you include the tip but the meal was worth it. While this was served inside the food was delicious and again the Italian atmosphere was realistic and made it seem like a special experience. We started out the meal with the stuffed crab appetizer that had been recommended in the reviews I had read. The "stuffing" is simply the entire meat and organs of the crab finely chopped and then sauteed for a minute in a bit of olive oil and salt, then chilled. Perfectly elegant and refreshing, it's also the dish most likely to endear the waitresses to you.

Anyway those are two of three places we had evening meals during our stay. The third place we ate was nothing special. One of the restaurants near the Rialto Bridge. The food was OK but nothing special and I don't even remember what its name was.

During the day we picked up sandwiches or pieces of pizza and a drink at one of the sidewalk cafes for lunch and ate them sitting somewhere near a canal. If you sit down in one of the cafes you will be charged a bread and service charge that usually runs 5 euros and up in addition to whatever you order.

Have a great next cruise.

Corte Sconte ( which literally translates to Hidden Spot - which it is in 2 respects- )fabulous food and a little hard to find - but can give you pretty good/ easy to walk too directions if you are interested.

If you are at St. Marks Sq. facing it w/ your back to the water you go to your right ( to the Arsenal ( also a tourist sight/museum)- which is over a few bridges.. right before you see the arsenal you go to your left and to your left again.. this is a wonderful restaurant - you walk in and it looks like a neighborhood wine bar ( which it is) but, in the back is a vine covered garden..truly superb.

Here is a link to it and also a good link for Venice ( click on maps for more info)

http://ristoranti.ombra.net/pages/index.php?hlangs=en&idas=110020

or this one if Corte Sconte doesn't work out:

Antico Martini

Venetian-International

An elegant and formal restaurant offering some of the best food in Venice, with service to match. The wine list runs to 350 labels and dishes include sea scallops with basil and a mouth.watering freshly made polenta, or tagliolini with asparagus.

Campo San Fantin 1983

Vaporetto San Marco or Santa Maria del Giglio

Open Thu-Mon lunch & dinner and Wed dinner

Tel. 0415224121 - All credit cards

Reservations recommended

click on their website is:

http://Http://www.anticomartini.com

I second Corte Sconte! We (my husband, son, I, and another family) had a fabulous meal with lots of local ambience. In fact, lots of locals frequent the restaurant. However, it is certainly not inexpensive. And be sure to make reservations in advance because it is a very small retaurant. Have a wonderful trip!

Archived