Just Curious....Anyone ever skipped Muster??

ROPD184

I have flown quite a bit and know that flight attendants are required to give emergency instructions. No matter how many times I have heard the same information I always stop what I am doing and pay close attention. Most people sleep through it. I always attend the muster and everyone should be required to do so..... Safety first:)

You know as I sit here and read about everyones cruises and questions...it makes me think......has anyone ever skipped the muster drill?? seems like it would be easy to do?? if youve ever attempted to skip it...what was your expierence...easy?? hard?? get busted?? just curious!! HAHA:D

DH and I slept through muster drill in Honolulu. We had traveled since early morning, and was exhausted. We are both seniors. If anyone knocked on the door we didn't hear them. Fianally next day we asked a fellow passenger 'wonder when they will have the muster drill? Was told that it was just before sail-away the day before! Only one we've ever missed, don't like them but they are a neccassary evil. :eek:

I admit it. I missed a muster drill on cruise before last. A little too much to embibe and took a nap. Heard the call for muster drill and buried my head in a pillor. No one came to check and I didn't make it.

In retrospect, a dumb thing to do. Never miss one again. Ain't worth it. Do the muster drill, it's not so bad if something happens and you don't know where to go.

If you're at one of the ship and have to go to your muster station to get off you better know where to go, otherwise you'll wind up fighting to get on somewhere and everybody suffers.

Wow, lighten up. After you have been on many you get tired of going. Easy to skip. Set on your balcony and close curtains. No one willl notice or probably care. As Cigar Dave would say. Looks like we have a lot of Pleasure Police on the Cruise Critic Boards now.

As a former flight attendant, I used to always pay attention to the individuals who chose to NOT pay attention to the safety demonstration before takeoff. I made a mental note to myself that if anything happened, those would be the people I would disregard and maybe not help in the event of an evacuation, instead I would just get myself off and not help the people who didn't think my demonstration was important. I suspect that ship crewmembers do the same thing. Don't be one of the disregarded!!!

Hope your not a Flight Attendant any more. Guess you forgot your job. Lighten UP.

2 years ago, my son who was 13 at the time, got very ill when boarding the ship. He nearly fainted in the line to get on the ship... he was sleeping when we got into the rooms, I left him there to sleep. I wasn't going to have him attend the muster drill feeling like that.

It must've been some sort of bug, because while we were doing the muster drill, my other son, who was 8 nearly fainted, and when we got back to the cabin, he too fell asleep... they both slept until the next day.

Luckily, they felt better the next day... I was worried that they got the flu.

Listen to me... blah, blah blah.

Yes, my son missed the muster drill once. But I would not miss it intentionally.

I have never missed Muster but I am in no hurry to get there. After arriving to muster first on my first cruise I realized that the last one to show are the first ones to go. I am not saying to wait around to go I am just not in a hurry to get there to stand there in the designer float gear until I can be told to go.

I don't condone anyone skipping the muster drill but I also am not going to pretend that there is a lot of information your missing if you somehow did not make it. I understand the purpose is to have an orderly process to evacuate the ship in case of emergency. However if a true emergency were to happen (Fire, Collision etc.) a good 15 - 20 percent of those people you stared at during your muster drill are going to panic and not follow the simple procedures they were told.

I guess I am just a very paranoid kindof person.....last cruise (Conquest may 14th), we smuggled some booze on..man I was sweatin it...that was my first cruise..and had just read what a bunch ofpeople had posted on here, but thats all i knew of smuggling stuff on! HAHA I WAS SO SCARED! lololol.....but i also knew that from what I had read, that if they did find it....you just lost it..and was still allowed to board....but would it make em so mad that you skipped the muster and maybe even hid from em...that they kick ya off?? I guess im too chicken for that.....and Seattle was right...this thread and question were just a simple...fun little question....im not condoning it or saying i would doit....just cuuriious who had

It amazes me how serious some of you are taking this! Beleive me I know it is important to know where to muster. But I can't see attacking anyone that has not mustered. I admit, there was one time we did not muster, and I don't feel the least bit bad about it! I have always mustered since but to be honest, it is not brain surgery to figure out where you muster station is.............and is nothing "new" they have ever enlightened me with since I heard it on my first cruise. But don't worry I am sure we will muster this next cruise!!

It amazes me how serious some of you are taking this! Beleive me I know it is important to know where to muster. But I can't see attacking anyone that has not mustered. I admit, there was one time we did not muster, and I don't feel the least bit bad about it! I have always mustered since but to be honest, it is not brain surgery to figure out where you muster station is.............and is nothing "new" they have ever enlightened me with since I heard it on my first cruise. But don't worry I am sure we will muster this next cruise!!

Not for nothing, but its a bit different saying you know where to muster when the ship is sailing along as it should. Trust me, it will be a bit different when there is a real emergency, when a good number of people are running around screaming, looking for their mates, or children. When panic sets in, everything else is out the window.

emergency drills are important and nobody should be saying otherwise.

ask someone that managed to get out of the WTC.

vincenzo

As a former flight attendant, I used to always pay attention to the individuals who chose to NOT pay attention to the safety demonstration before takeoff. I made a mental note to myself that if anything happened, those would be the people I would disregard and maybe not help in the event of an evacuation, instead I would just get myself off and not help the people who didn't think my demonstration was important. I suspect that ship crewmembers do the same thing. Don't be one of the disregarded!!!

Hum . . . very interesting. Maybe that's why I'm usually one of the first on deck during the muster drill . . . I was a United flight attendant for twenty years . . . ;)

I wasn't trying to be mean to anyone. I'm just trying to stress how important emergency briefings are. Those who replied that I need to lighten up are the ones who probably ignore safety demonstrations. Sorry, but I stand by what I said.

For me personally, the Muster Drill is the official send off to the cruise in question. I like going. I put on the jacket and feel relaxed, knowing that I'm embarking on a relaxing vacation. I usually meet a bunch of folks who I tend to exchange pleasant conversations with throughout the cruise, whether in the hallway, pool, buffet. Also, there's nothing like running down the stairs or up, to drop off your jacket and racing to the best spot for sail away.

Although once you understand what a muster station is and get the gist, ..I can see why experience cruisers would rather miss it. Anyone with a grain of intelligence and hopefully common sense would find out exactly what muster station they're assigned and the location right away without the need of the drill itself.

On my first(and only so far) cruise, I didn't go to the muster. I was 6 almost 7 months pregnant and had been up all morning worrying and panicing, I had overslept and missed my flight. I was exhausted and my room steward said we didn't have to go, but he showed us where the life jackets are and I think there was a map on where our muster station was.

Either way, after I was rested, and ventured out, I went in search for my area. We watched the muster on tv.

I've never missed a muster drill and never will. For those of you that DON'T take this seriously, shame on you! It isn't cute and it isn't funny. It IS required that ALL passengers attend the muster drill. Just do it and you'll save the rest of us from the headaches (or worse) you'll cause when you don't know where to go. Not to mention baking in the heat because some no show thought the rules didn't apply to them. :rolleyes:

It's people who "don't feel like standing around with life jackets on" that causes problems for everyone else. We have waited and waited in the hot sun while cabin numbers were being called. The drill would go quite smoothly if it weren't for those of you "hiding in the bathroom" to avoid something that should be taken very seriously. It's one thing to be ill and miss the drill, but to purposely avoid it because you don't want to be bothered is really stupid. I've cruised 11 times and wouldn't miss one.

My husband missed the muster drill while he was talking to the purser's desk. They closed the lines and told everyone to go to the muster drill. But they took the time to help my husband figure out our room number so he would know what his muster station was. He got separated from me and he did not know what our room number was. He had his s&s card but it does not show the room number. And we did not visit our room as it was not ready yet. (we had delayed boarding due to fog). By the time he got the room number and arrived with his life jacket we were all leaving. It was a very quick drill (only 15 minutes long). I did not even know that he did not know the number. I wrote the cabin number on everything that didn't move :)

What was even funnier I wrote a post-it note to tell him that I had already gone to the drill and that I would meet him there. I put it on his life jacket that I had laid out for him on the bed. :)

Thankfully he did not delay the drill for the rest of us. I read somewhere that the cabin stewards are the ones that search for those who did not show up for the drill . . . maybe the purser's desk contacted him. We'll never know.

That was a very confusing beginning of a cruise. We did not end up leaving port until midnight.

if you have been to muster before or if you kno exactly where your muster station is, like u've been on the ship before, then i would skip. It is not really that crucial!!!!

No, not true. It doesn't matter... the Coast Guard requires all passengers to attend... they don't say "if the pax has been on this ship before and has the same muster, they can skip it"... I've never read that anywhere. It is crucial, if you want to cruise... what if all the passengers (most who have cruised before) decide to go with that attitude and the Coast Guard requires a redo?? And how many people go on the same ship over and over, have the same cabin and muster station? Sure, there are some, but not many... It's 20 minutes, it's required by the Coast Guard... are people really so self absorbed that they can't do this???

are people really so self absorbed that they can't do this???

Apparently yes, they are.

Work in any service industry for 1 day and you will know this.

The world is full of "I'm more important than you" people.

I have more to say on this, but I won't.

It would be wasted.

vincenzo

Archived