Just Curious....Anyone ever skipped Muster??

ROPD184

My last drill on the Liberty was interesting. I caught Hell from my DW for not waiting for her when reporting to our lifeboat station. The thing that bothered me about the drill was that most of the people paid no attention to the crew member as she explained the boat that we would be boarding. I have a feeling that in a real emergency I'd have felt safer staying with the ship while the lemmings rushed the lifeboats.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
I just returned on 9-28 from Celebration, I asked this question at dinner one night and was kinda surprised that 2 of the 5 couples at our table skipped the drill. One couple was on their first cruise. They said someone knocked on the cabin door, but thats about it.

If that was the couple's first cruise and they were that apathetic about the ship's emergency procedures, I would imagine that they would be the type that would cost other cruisers their lives -- kind of like in the movie "Titantic" when one or two cowards steal a lifeboat and then tip it over b/c they didn't know how the boat operated.:eek:

Igorance knows no boundaries. :(

So many think these are stupid, waste of time. I live life to the fullest, and I like to let those who want to endanger themselves do so, but the SOLAS and Coast Guard both can require that any one of the Muster stations actually attempt to board the Lifeboat if they choose. I have not seen this before, but have heard of it, and watched them practice on Port Days using the life boats and winching up and down the lifeboats. I was in the Navy, and I have seen what a fire at sea can do first hand. I choose to participate, and encourage all of you to as well. I do not want to see a memorial Thread about your demise. There are too many thinks that can kill you at see, being unable to save yourself should not be one of them.

RUF:eek: :) :p

We have missed several over the years. The first time happened was when the Room Steward came knocking to introduce himself he asked how many times we had cruised. After answering him he said we had been on so many we can skip it.

We have had the same thing happen about a third of the time.

So many think these are stupid, waste of time. I live life to the fullest, and I like to let those who want to endanger themselves do so, but the SOLAS and Coast Guard both can require that any one of the Muster stations actually attempt to board the Lifeboat if they choose. I have not seen this before, but have heard of it, and watched them practice on Port Days using the life boats and winching up and down the lifeboats. I was in the Navy, and I have seen what a fire at sea can do first hand. I choose to participate, and encourage all of you to as well. I do not want to see a memorial Thread about your demise. There are too many thinks that can kill you at see, being unable to save yourself should not be one of them.

RUF:eek: :) :p

Bravo, wonderful answer. Is your life worth less because you are on a cruise ship and don't want to be "inconvenienced" and go to that "stupid" muster drill?

Don't you have home evacuation plans in case of fire or emergency?? If you do then don't you practice them periodically? This is your home for however long you cruise and I most certainly hope your life means more to you than a nap or a drink or unpacking.

No matter how many times you have cruised, get your butt out there to the muster drill and then enjoy the rest of your sailing.

Never skipped one but missed one....it was the weirdest thing. We came out at the second announcement and as we where headed up to the muster station, as where alot of people.....everyone began coming back down. Out of 9 Drills.....that was definetly the strangest.

Archived