Just Curious....Anyone ever skipped Muster??

ROPD184

I remember a few years back when I (as a relatively new cruiser) innocently asked the very same question as the OP and got pretty much the same heated responses. Took a long time to feel like it was ok to post a question again on the boards.

Simply it is required by the coast gaurd.

Many people if not most pax take it very seriously.

It could save your life in an emergancy.

And you really should go!

Have a wonderfully safe cruise....Everyone!

MAO

I didnt even post it as a "Hey im trying to decide wether to skip my next muster...should I and who has" kind of question....some people dontget that....i was just curious who had....why they did...and what happened??? this is almost like the liquor topic....some topics are just touchy subjects! :p

I didnt even post it as a "Hey im trying to decide wether to skip my next muster...should I and who has" kind of question....some people dontget that....i was just curious who had....why they did...and what happened??? this is almost like the liquor topic....some topics are just touchy subjects! :p

If you will notice, not all replies are directed at you... don't get defensive, if you look closely, you will see the replies directed at other people (not you, the others that have specifically stated they DO intend to skip)

We've only cruised once (it was in March) but we liked it so well as a family vacation, I'm currently looking for another one for us. Neither my husband nor I were quite sure what to expect at muster [heck, we didn't even know there was such a thing...you'd have thought the VIP check-in lady would have told us about it while we were sitting in her office] so when they made the announcment, we were out of that room like a shot from a cannon! You would have thought there really were an emergency. :D

After about an hour of waiting for the no-shows to grace us with their presence we were a bit put out. My daughter (she was almost 11 at the time) was bored out of her mind. I told my husband, they should have a separate one of these for the kids so they're not so bored. His response was, "Oh yeah, I'd like to see them put you in a lifeboat without her!" He had a point!:rolleyes:

I don't mind the muster drill but I don't like waiting for all the no-shows. It's kinda irritating to stand there sweating in your life jacket while the crew member calls out the missing cabin numbers over and over again. Sigh. I guess some people are just inconsiderate.

If you will notice, not all replies are directed at you... don't get defensive, if you look closely, you will see the replies directed at other people (not you, the others that have specifically stated they DO intend to skip)

my message was no way defensive...hence the " :p " face...it was just a message in light....just as most of these are....I do understand that the posts are not directed towards me....i just think its interesting...thats all....

Muster drill is funny when people have already been drinking. There are always some crispy critters to laugh at. Just spray deodorant on the neck of the lifevest before you put it on- they usually always smell like sweat.

Don't miss the muster- it would be a stupid mistake and you'd miss the entertainment.

I ALWAYS attend the muster drills because I really don't want to go down with the ship! On my last cruise earlier this month, as we were all standing out there sweating, three guys were waving to us from the cabin right above us. Needless to say, the crew mmbers were NOT amused and immediately sent someone up to get them. I can laugh about a lot of things that happen during the drill, but if, by some remote chance, the ship really does need to be abandoned, I can guarantee that my brain is not going to be functioning well enough to "guess" what I'm supposed to do!

So, to answer the original question, nope, I've never skipped muster (lest anyone think I'm straying off the "humor train").

Me an my group of friends are the people everyone is complaining about. We never go to the Muster Drill. To tell the truth, we have never been forced to go to a Muster Drill. In fact we usually sit up on the Lido deck at the Poolside bar, and they continue to serve us drinks. It is actually quite peaceful having the entire Lido Deck to your self while eveyone else is at the Muster drill.

The way I figure it, in an emergency situation instincts will kick in. It would probably be such a cluster anyway if there was a problem, those 10 minutes that you spend standing in the hot sun with a life jacket on aren't going to really make a difference. When there is that much panic a chaos, chances are that you are going to have a hard time getting to your correct station anyway. (I am guessing if you go to the wrong place that they aren't going to just leave you on the boat)

The bottom line is, we know what deck and what side of the ship we need to go to. Once you get there, I am pretty sure they will direct you where you need to go. Is there anything else you really learn at the muster drill?

Also, in all of the Carnival Cruises I have been on (8 Total), I have never heard them call our cabin number or names over the loudspeaker during the Muster Drill for not being there.

The reality is that you will never get everyone there, so just plan on it taking 15 minutes or so. Let the flaming begin....

Me an my group of friends are the people everyone is complaining about. We never go to the Muster Drill. To tell the truth, we have never been forced to go to a Muster Drill. In fact we usually sit up on the Lido deck at the Poolside bar, and they continue to serve us drinks. It is actually quite peaceful having the entire Lido Deck to your self while eveyone else is at the Muster drill.

The way I figure it, in an emergency situation instincts will kick in. It would probably be such a cluster anyway if there was a problem, those 10 minutes that you spend standing in the hot sun with a life jacket on aren't going to really make a difference. When there is that much panic a chaos, chances are that you are going to have a hard time getting to your correct station anyway. (I am guessing if you go to the wrong place that they aren't going to just leave you on the boat)

The bottom line is, we know what deck and what side of the ship we need to go to. Once you get there, I am pretty sure they will direct you where you need to go. Is there anything else you really learn at the muster drill?

Also, in all of the Carnival Cruises I have been on (8 Total), I have never heard them call our cabin number or names over the loudspeaker during the Muster Drill for not being there.

The reality is that you will never get everyone there, so just plan on it taking 15 minutes or so. Let the flaming begin....

no flames,

But that is an awful lot of guessing and figuring going on there. I guess that you have never been in a situation where the ones that panic have no idea where to go, or what to do.

It's a lot easier to say, while you are running, I know exactly where to go, because I've been there once before, than try to remember what deck, what station.

But you go on, no worries, I will continue to go, and coach my kids about doing the right thing.

vincenzo

no flames,

But that is an awful lot of guessing and figuring going on there. I guess that you have never been in a situation where the ones that panic have no idea where to go, or what to do.

It's a lot easier to say, while you are running, I know exactly where to go, because I've been there once before, than try to remember what deck, what station.

But you go on, no worries, I will continue to go, and coach my kids about doing the right thing.

vincenzo

Oh Vincenzo, you old worry-wart, you're probably the kind who preaches to his kids about not drinking and driving too. :rolleyes: Don't you realize that if they did knock back a few too many and crawled behind the wheel of a car, chances are that they'd probably still get home okay without killing themselves or someone else? I'm pretty sure everything would be just fine. Don't be such a fuddy-duddy. :cool:

ON our last Carnival Cruise DH went to get life jackets and then could not find me - I was next to one of the bars waiting for him and when he did not show I spent my time talking to one of the Ship's Officers....I know it is important, but I did not get in any trouble.

Oh Vincenzo, you old worry-wart, you're probably the kind who preaches to his kids about not drinking and driving too. :rolleyes: Don't you realize that if they did knock back a few too many and crawled behind the wheel of a car, chances are that they'd probably still get home okay without killing themselves or someone else? I'm pretty sure everything would be just fine. Don't be such a fuddy-duddy. :cool:

:D

I don't care if they drink and drive, just don't drink and think!

vincenzo:)

I have indeed been in an emergency situation, and was able to see exactly what happens when people panic. I was in a hotel fire in a 25 story hotel. On the back of every door it shows the path to get out of the hotel, and gives instructions on what to do. Even though every person had that available to them, there were people running around like crazy. I equate the Muster Drill to those Instructions on the back of every hotel door.

Even though you may have looked at them and even studied them, everything goes out the door when a large group of people get into a perilous situation. People tend to get into a pack mentality, and just follow one another (Regardless if the pack they are following is correct or not).

I am not saying that what we do is correct. It is a calculated risk that I am fine with.

If what you want to hear from me is that it is irresponsible, then fine I will say it. "We are irresponsible". But on the flip side, we sure do have a fun time!!

So to each is own, and I promise that if the ship goes down, I won't ask for you to wait for me if I can't find my life boat!!!

I have indeed been in an emergency situation, and was able to see exactly what happens when people panic. I was in a hotel fire in a 25 story hotel. On the back of every door it shows the path to get out of the hotel, and gives instructions on what to do. Even though every person had that available to them, there were people running around like crazy. I equate the Muster Drill to those Instructions on the back of every hotel door...

Imagine how much worse it is when most people are probably not even in their cabin to read the map & instructions on the back of the door... :rolleyes:

Just for the record, I see absolutely no correlation between this little snarky drinking and driving comment and missing a muster drill. My brother was almost killed by a drunk driver (he had to have his spleen removed to save his life and was in ICU for several days) and I think that it's completely insensitive and ignorant of you to put these two situations together in a joking manner. Whether you're kidding or not, it's stupid.

I also, do not see how you can say that because a person doesn't go to a muster drill (when they do not have children) that means that they're going to teach their children not to go to a muster drill or teach their children to drink and drive. You're not funny, I hope you understand that.

Imagine how much worse it is when most people are probably not even in their cabin to read the map & instructions on the back of the door... :rolleyes:

Just remember that I am not saying what I do is correct, I am just saying that it is a choice I make. The whole premise of this thread is the question "Does anybody skip the Muster Drill, and if so what happens". I am just the voice of all those who do indeed skip the Muster Drill!!

Just for the record, I see absolutely no correlation between this little snarky drinking and driving comment and missing a muster drill. My brother was almost killed by a drunk driver (he had to have his spleen removed to save his life and was in ICU for several days) and I think that it's completely insensitive and ignorant of you to put these two situations together in a joking manner. Whether you're kidding or not, it's stupid.

I also, do not see how you can say that because a person doesn't go to a muster drill (when they do not have children) that means that they're going to teach their children not to go to a muster drill or teach their children to drink and drive. You're not funny, I hope you understand that.

Just for the record, my Aunt, WAS killed by a drunk driver, and I took no offense to LJ's comment. I knew what he meant.

vincenzo

You didn't take offense to it, I did, and I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt. The snarky comment wasn't directed at you, it was directed at the poster who said that he didn't go to the muster drill and I think it was tacky.

I don't think it's a funny thing to joke about and I'm not one of those uptight people that I'm sure I'll be labeled as being.

Just remember that I am not saying what I do is correct, I am just saying that it is a choice I make. The whole premise of this thread is the question "Does anybody skip the Muster Drill, and if so what happens". I am just the voice of all those who do indeed skip the Muster Drill!!

I did see where you are saying what you are doing is irresponsible. Just because you admit that what you're doing is irresponsible does not mean you are any less liable for your actions (or flame retardant ;)). Understanding that what you're doing is irresponsible actually makes it worse because you're doing it on purpose.

It would probably be such a cluster anyway if there was a problem, those 10 minutes that you spend standing in the hot sun with a life jacket on aren't going to really make a difference.

Once you get there, I am pretty sure they will direct you where you need to go. Is there anything else you really learn at the muster drill?

If during a real emergency it is a cluster as you describe it then you are going to depend upon someone being able to direct you elsewhere? :rolleyes:

The way I see it is that the crew has probably never had a real emergency to deal with and I wouldn't want to depend upon them to direct me anywhere. It would be possible that they would panic like everyone else. I would want to know where to go myself and not take a chance on finding someone with the sense to tell me where I need to be. You can skip it if you want to but I personally consider it to be an important thing and part of my cruise experience.

I do like the idea of spraying the life preservers down with Lysol though. I will have to remember that tip.

I too was a little irked by the Drunk Driving comment. Just because we are now sensationalizing something as simple as the skipping of the Muster Drill. These 2 items are totally unrelated, and I think it was a bad comparison. No hard feelings though.

I would aslo like to say, that my parents took me on 3 cruises when I was younger, and every time they made me go to the Muster Drill. I am SURE that when I have kids I will also make them go to the Muster Drill. But as seeing it is only me and my Fiance, I feel comfortable skipping this drill.

I think that the whole disembarking process is a really good example. That has to be one of the most structured events they have on the cruise ship. I can't even tell you how many people I have seen run over when they open the door to let a group of people go. The crew is standing right there telling you exactly what to do, and still I have often seen it turn into a free-for-all as soon as they release people to leave.

Could you imaging if the made you practice the Debarkation process on the first day, and then on the last day they just blew an alarm to signify it was time to Disembark? How smooth would that go? I can guarantee that very few people would follow the procedures learned on the first day.That is pretty similar to what an Emergency would be like.....

Archived