women's bcd advice

deec

I am looking to purchase a women's BCD...we are recreational divers...2-3x/year on vacations...the unisex rental BCD from our local dive shop make me feel squeezed...any suggestions...I amworried about ordering something and not being able to try it out

any suggestions for non-biases reviews of them?

thanks for the help

I am looking to purchase a women's BCD...we are recreational divers...2-3x/year on vacations...the unisex rental BCD from our local dive shop make me feel squeezed...any suggestions...I amworried about ordering something and not being able to try it out

thanks for the help

My wife uses a Zeagle Zena. She loves it and raves about it all the time. It is a back inflation bcd though - I don't know if that matters to you. It is very compact and packs great.

WOw!! that is a loaded question,....:o So, I am going to assume you are using a vest type- non-integrated BC at the local dive shop's rental type...

Your line was 'I am feeling a "squeeze"' tells me that as the Vest inflates, you feel constricted. Therefore , if that is the case, a Backinflate BC is your ticket...

Any number of BC's will fill that bill from a Lady hawk by Scubapro to a OMS, Diverite or Oqycheq tech diving setup. The Diva is also a good choice for women divers...but an investment of $500+ for a few times a year seems pretty expensive...Comfort is comfort tho so ....

DUI makes a unisex back inflate ( for sale on EBAY at 199.00 plus shipping) but a flyt or other type of "travel BAckflate BC" will fill the bill- hope this helps:D

I have an Aqualung Elan which I love (5yo), but when that one goes, it is going to be the Seaquest Diva, very comfortable-vest style, weight integrated-which I like. I have also tried my son's Zeagle Escape which is a very comfortable, lightweight travel bcd-back inflation style. I may just start stealing it for my travels. Price is very good on that one also. It is critical to try them on to get the right size and fit. Be sure to buy from someone who offers the manufacturers warrantee.

I'm assuming that since you specified a women's BC, that you're having problems with the vest being in the 'wrong' place.

I hung on to an old SeaQuest Spectrum 3 BC for about 12 years, and swore I would never give it up as it was built with a lower chest strap instead of a cummerbund. The pockets fell off, I had extenders on the straps and my pockets had all busted out in about my 4th or 5th weight belt...but I still wouldn't give it up.

After borrowing a few different BC's, I ended up with a leftover that was in the back room when our old LDS closed. What a POS. Fine underwater with no air in it, but on the surface it kept trying to come over the top of my head, and I ended up hanging by my armpits. Rather funny for other divers, but not very comfortable. Same problem with all the back-mount BC's I tried. Luckily, it was quite old and developed a huge hole in the inflator hose.

So...I began looking for a new BC, but couldn't find anything that was comfortable. Women's BC's don't come in large sizes, so, unfortunately, they were not an option.

Everything I tried was not padded in the right places, way too long in the waist, or very constricting around the 'girls.' Back mounts actually seemed to interfere more with the girls than the jacket-styles as I'm very short-waisted, and, well, there isn't really anywhere good to put the straps.

Before a trip around the Southern Caribbean, I walked into our new LDS and said give me something that fits around the 'girls'. After a bit of ribald comment and a couple of BCs later, I ended up with an integrated XL Dacor Talon. Being short-waisted actually worked for me as the extra length enabled me to have plenty of room for the girls, and the BC stays down because of the integrated weights. The cross-chest strap actually ended up above the girls, rather than on them. The shoulder straps actually seem to stay just inside of the points of my shoulders, and everything is nicely padded.

The photo quality is not very good (sorry), but you can get an idea of the strap position from this photo.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1232837254055701600QuWVHi

As much as I thought I wouldn't like integration, it is quite comfortable, particularly on the surface. I do find that my lateral control still suffers a tiny bit, particularly when I'm more than 45 degrees head down, and drifting upside down for any length of time is darn near impossible.

The best advice I can offer is to keep trying on BCs - there are lots and lots of models, and don't rule anything out. I ended up happy with exactly what I thought I didn't want.

Let us know how the search goes.

Happy diving!

Wendy

Love my Zeagle Zena .... you can order the sections (back, vest & shoulders) to specifically fit your size body and it makes it even easier to pack if I pop the sections apart. I've done maybe 170-180 dives with it, and it's so comfortable. Also no velcro to mess up your wetsuit, and it's easy to tighten up at the waist or hips underwater, if needed......

Question- it looks like a great BCD but it only has 24lbs of lift. Do any of you do cold water diving ?

I just can't decide what to buy .I have an old Diva whose days are past, but still manages the job, but barely. No sternum strap, sags, etc.

Since this is a back inflation BCD anyway, why do you all rule out dive rite, etc with the traditional backplate ?

Question- it looks like a great BCD but it only has 24lbs of lift. Do any of you do cold water diving ?

I just can't decide what to buy .I have an old Diva whose days are past, but still manages the job, but barely. No sternum strap, sags, etc.

Since this is a back inflation BCD anyway, why do you all rule out dive rite, etc with the traditional backplate ?

I don't do cold water - but the Zeagle site lists the lift on the Zena at 34 lbs - the 24 lbs list as a option ....

http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?submenu=RecreationalBcs&src=gendocs&link=ZenaBC

Don't rule out the DiveRite. My daughter tried the DR and the Zena and said the Zena had a slightly better fit. It cost less also.

Try a DiveRite Transpac, my wife just switched to it from a Genesis Athena and loves it. Less is more when it comes to a BC, the Zena is a well built rig though, but I would reccommend trying it before you buy. It seems people either love the fit or hate the fit of that BC.

As others have suggested, another option and a great one at that is to go with a backplate and wing set up. Good luck and if I can help at all, let me know...

Thank you all for you advice ! Correct to the poster who mentioned that I could get more lift with the Zena.

. Given that I want something to go over my drysuit as well as for occasional warm water, I may be better off with the more modular simplified front design of a backplate system...

Why do you prefer Dive Rite over the OMS ? Or is it all pretty much the same, depending on what your dive shop carries ?

Also, how hard a transition to a back inflation system ? Any tips ? Some people have tried to scare me away from it, but given how widely used they are, it can't be magic.

No matter what this will be my next style BC. Then the other question is what wings I should by. I get stuck on all this... I keep saying that I will never dive doubles as I have 100's and use a 30cuft pony when I need the alternate air. And I could always use a 120 if I get to the point where I do deeper dives/longer dives. Right now, I used about 40% less air than my partner so HE is the one who should get the doubles. He has the scubapro- but I don't like it for a lot of reasons (also its jacket style- ouch). I also like a quick release on one shoulder. I know, its a failure point, but I lovce the conveniece.

Keep the good ideas coming !

DiveRite, OMS, Halcyon, etc. - it's subjective and personal taste comes into play. I chose DR because I can get great service locally, my shop carries them and the price was right. I would, for the most part, stick with what you can find locally and actually try on before you buy.

Regarding diving doubles, I would get a dedicated wing for singles now, and if you decide to go doubles in the future, get a wing for doubles. Many places, DiveRite included, say they have a wing which does both, which it does, but not as good as getting a wing for both set-ups. I've got a Venture wing for my single tank diving and it works great for swimsuit to drysuit diving. It's got 31 pounds of lift, which is more than enough for any of the diving I do with a single tank. I've got the quick release on one shoulder as well, and while it is a failure point, it isn't something I couldn't deal with- a double ended bolt snap could hold it together until the surface if need be. (and the odds my buckles breaks? Who knows....)

i'd be curious to hear what people were telling you to get you not to go the bp/w route?

I have been overthinking this all season ! I do think that your point on two sets of wings is well taken. Maybe start with one designed for singles ??

Most of the people I know who are serious divers like to use the same configuration all the time. I can see the wisdom in that- weighting becomes a snap, all the do dads (reel, lights. compass, alt second, seasnips, lift bag) are in the same spot so that its automatic to go without sight our touch.

As long as I can accomodate my 30cu ft pony, I am still okay with single wings... at least with the backplate/wingsgoing to doubles does not mean buying a new BCD, just wings. Incidently, most of the folks at my dive shop/dive boats who are pushing 60 or so are going to one long dive (maybe with a 120's or doubles). Rebreathers are also gaining in popularity for some (this will never be me).

I just don't want to exhaust myself getting back onto the boat . That can be the toughest part of the dive in rough seas- or even calm, ones. It is a lot of weight to haul up the ladder for a middle aged woman. I have nice really short fins (scuba pro jetfin)- what a difference that has made - I only use the long split fins in warm water where I can take them off before reboarding.

The negatives I have gotten on BP systems is that it can be hard to be verticle in the water when you need to be (ie on the surface). IE the thing also drowned me, and so on ! So how hard a transition is it?

The vertical thing is a myth- it's silly actually. Only a diver with poor technique on would be drowned by the wing pushing them forward. In fact, all you have to do is not inflate the wing fully, and lean back just so slightly and you'll find yourself in a great position. I switched from a jacket to a bp/w and I'll never go back. There are no tricks to learn, in fact, a bp/w is just a simplified version of a back inflate jacket. Just what you need, nothing more... And a BP/W will last you forever, they're pretty indestrucible. And the weight of the plate and single tank adapter (if you go that way) is more you take off your waist. It's really nice in colder water to not have so much lead on my belt. Any questions or if I can help at all, let me know- przeor@yahoo.com (put BP/W in the subject) Thanks!

Way more expensive? Where can you get a cheap Ladyhawk? I've seen them $400 to $500- the same, or maybe more than a bp/w. And my current set up is significantly less bulky. It's also easier to lug, since it's just 2 inch webbing for the harness. And the lack of padding and foam (which is usless underwater) on a bp/w means less weight you need to wear and a more streamlined underwater profile.

And a bp/w is designed for who ever is wearing it- male or female- since you customize it to fit you.

just my $.02

thanks for the help

I may get hate mail from shops for posting this but I suggest you go to your local dive shop and try on many different ladies BCD's. Once you find the one you like that gives you the best fit. Write down the size and model and go to LEISUREPRO.COM and buy it there, or on ebay. Making sure of course to buy the size and model you liked in the store. Dive shops are usually 15-20% more than these outlets. I order all of my stuff this way and save thousands of dollars. Dive shops will discourage this and tell you it will void your warranty if you don't buy it from an authorized shop. This is BS as warranties are supplied by manufacturers and not the dive shop. There are also alot of reputable dive shops doing business on E-bay. Also I had a friend say somthing that made alot of sense. He said, "If you dive equipment fails, I hope your still around to collect on the warranty.":cool:

The vertical thing is a myth- it's silly actually. Only a diver with poor technique on would be drowned by the wing pushing them forward. In fact, all you have to do is not inflate the wing fully, and lean back just so slightly and you'll find yourself in a great position. I switched from a jacket to a bp/w and I'll never go back. There are no tricks to learn, in fact, a bp/w is just a simplified version of a back inflate jacket. Just what you need, nothing more... And a BP/W will last you forever, they're pretty indestrucible. And the weight of the plate and single tank adapter (if you go that way) is more you take off your waist. It's really nice in colder water to not have so much lead on my belt. Any questions or if I can help at all, let me know- przeor@yahoo.com (put BP/W in the subject) Thanks!

I'm in agreement with the Dive Rite advice. If you dive cold and warm you can't go wrong with Dive Rite or OMS. I'm a Jersey wreck diver and I use Dive Rite backplate system with double 120's totally redundant. They are also totally adjustable. I posted earlier before I read these posts. All dive rite stuff is available through LEISUREPRO.COM. If you mostly dive warm 2-3x's a year find a BCD YOU LIKE!:cool: .

Archived