Tips/hints from experienced river cruisers?

vettecruiser

Hi all --

Do any of you experienced river cruisers have any tips or hints on what to bring to help make the cruise more comfortable? For example, before our last deep water cruise, I learned from more experienced cruisers to bring a clear plastic shoe bag to hang on the back of the bathroom door for storage, not to forget a lanyard to hold the cruise i.d. card, that duct tape can fix anything, to ask for a robe in advance, etc.

We are taking the Swizerland II with Tauck from Budapest to Amsterdam on October 7th, after a 3 day stay in Budapest (I read we need to bring our own shopping bags for purchases in Budapest?).

Thanks for any input!

Just don't take too many clothes, this is an informal trip with not many people and you will see everyone wears each outfit several times. The old adage about taking half the clothes and twice the money you had planned on is a good one. I have gone on several cruises and never seen the need for the hanging shoe bag. Many river cruise companies give you a lanyard, if not you could buy one aboard. I have never gotten a bathrobe on a river cruise.

I usually take a few plastic grocery bags that fit anywhere so I can put the purchases in them if needed.

You don't need a bunch of stuff. Go with plenty of room in your luggage to bring home the treasures you purchase.

Hi,

We got plastic bags in Budapest and Bratislava, so no need to bring your own :) . As our boarding passes were never used and we had keys for our cabins, I didn´t miss a lanyard. Anyway you had to turn your keys in when you left the boat as this is the common method of counting heads before leaving. For storeing space and robes check the amenities of your river cruise ship (http://www.scylla-tours.com).

Pack your favourite book, lots of memory cards/rolls of film, comfortable walking shoes and clothes and relax!

steamboats

Archived