Galaxy vs Noordam Any Opinions?

Tookie

I have sailed both lines, and on GALAXY in particular. GALAXY is a lovely ship, even though it is far from new. She has a lot of charm, and is very easy to navigate. She could stand a refurbishment.:rolleyes:

The NOORDAM is almost new ... it is beautiful! We saw her in Ponta Delgada on our Spring TA this year. I wouldn't hesitate a minute to book it.

The Noordam is a brand new ship with HALs wonderful bedding, tubs in outside categories and higher and the Pinnacle Grill.

Galaxy is an older ship and needs some TLC according to most who have sailed on her.

I personally prefer the food and service in the dining room on X but, that being said, I would choose Noordam over Galaxy as the ship and its condition and amenities are just as important to me.

I was on Mercury and Zuiderdam within the past year. One is a sister to Galaxy and ZUI is a sister to Noordam. Between the two, I would choose HAL without a doubt.

We are looking at a Southern Carribean cruise this winter. Have been on Celebrity 4 times. Have never been on HAL. Does anyone have any experiences with HAL vs Galaxy?

My most recent HAL experience was a 14 day Veendam cruise in January 2005. In total we have sailed about 150 days on HAL, twice that on Celebrity. I believe that the experience you would expect onboard to be very similar between the two lines. I have never cruised on a Vista class ship such as Noordam. Galaxy sailings out of San Juan have been discounted to attract cruisers. It is difficult to get good flight connections from/to San Juan from the Detroit area. I spent three weeks on Galaxy in May. Because of the ports it was a wonderful cruise. Having sailed on all of Celebrity's ships, I would rank Galaxy as the worst in appeal because of its "upkeep." Galaxy has a great itinerary, great crew and service. If the price is right I would sail on Galaxy but if the prices were similar I would pick Noordam.

We just got off the Galaxy on Sept 4. It was a wonderful cruise- our 3rd on the Galaxy. The ship is a bit worn around the edges but beautiful just the same and the food and service were as good as any we've had on our 9 X cruises. I also loved the Italian pool band but I guess they won't be on the ship in the Caribbean.

Having said all that, I must report that we are booked on the Noordam this January. I was planning on booking the Galaxy but went with the Noordam because we live in NYC and the price for the Noordam in a balcony cabin for an 11 day cruise was comparable to the price for the Galaxy in an oceanview and airfare to San Juan. My son who sailed on the Westerdam as well as the Connie felt that they are comparable overall, so we decided to try HAL for the first time. The pictures I've seen of the Noordam are stunning.

If X had one of the Milly class ships sailing to the Caribbean from NYC this winter we'd be on it. But they don't.

Since you are flying anyway, leaving from NYC may not be such a big plus. At least 3 of the 11 days will probably be in cold weather. On the plus side, sailing down the Hudson past Lady Liberty and then under the Verrazano is an amazing experience.

Just got off the new Noordam have been on the Galaxy. The thing I really noticed was in the room. Specifically the bed's. A for real good queen with a pillow top and very supportive! Real good sleeping. This is far superior to anything I have ever been on, on a cruise. Get this, its a platform type bed with plenty of room underneath for the luggage and thensome! This really frees up closet space to the point where we actually had an excess and no fumbling around in the closet to get around the baggage. Flat screen TV but very few channels. Really got into Bogey reruns though. Room definitely seemed wider than on the Galaxy. Ship was longer and wider but not that tall. Really only 9 decks high. Getting around was easy. Everything happens on 2,3 and 9. A plethora of elevators awaits. The side ones were all glass and gave a nice view as they went up or down. Beautiful library/ lounge. Shopping areas was better too since the ship is wider and longer but less bargains! Not that many last day or two discounts.

Faux paus. The farewell dinner was held three days before disembarcation day! Pathetic. Indonesian crew takes getting used to. Not as sparkling as on Galaxy. Not as many niceties such as linen on the trays or hors derves after dinner.

The Galaxy was far more tasteful though as Carnival has influenced the new Noordam. Garish. Busts of old kings and queens of Holland everywhere. Beautiful leather in the show lounge but loud paisley backing. The food on HAL was better. Double the choices at dinner and seconds available. Two good Lobster tails at dinner and one did not have to ask for the second. Really no need to go to the specialty restaurant at dinner. Probably too much food, anyway. Show lounge was three decks high. Not sure about the Galaxy.

Hope this helps

Hope this helps

Archived