Movies featuring Rome & Naples ?

Part of my getting ready for visiting Rome in October is to see as many movies as I can about Rome.

So far I've seen 'Roman Holiday' (Peck/Hepburn), 'Gladiator' and even the Olsen twins in 'When In Rome'.

Anyone have other titles to suggest ?

Our cruise will include a stop in Naples so suggestions for films featuring Naples would be appreciated as well.

TIA

Part of my getting ready for visiting Rome in October is to see as many movies as I can about Rome.

So far I've seen 'Roman Holiday' (Peck/Hepburn), 'Gladiator' and even the Olsen twins in 'When In Rome'.

Anyone have other titles to suggest ?

Our cruise will include a stop in Naples so suggestions for films featuring Naples would be appreciated as well.

TIA

I think some of Robert Ludlum's books that have been made into movies with Matt Damon feature Rome,but don't hold me to that.Also, go to the History Channel and check out all the DVD's they have on Rome,Pompeii etc. and then see if your library carries them.I found these a lot more interesting re the history,and then conjured up what it must have been like as I was standing there looking at ruins.Have a great visit and cruise.

Okay, a couple of comedies...

The first gives you laughter, music, fun ...and history...with Zero Mostel, Phil Silvers, Buster Keaton and Jack Gilford:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060438/

This has a long segment in Ancient Rome, Mel Brooks style...with Mel, Dom DeLuise, Madeline Kahn, Gregory Hines and Shecky Greene:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082517/

...and here's a loser for you:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057100/

Thanks Steve, and all who contributed.

The Mostel and Brooks films look like they wouldn't have much actual footage of Rome, whereas the Gidget one does. Do I have the correct impression ?

Karen, thanks for pointing me to the Pre-cruise movies link - I've contributed my own tidbits on that thread.

Had never heard of Lizzy McGuire - must be my age - but it does look like it might have many shots of Rome.

Thanks all !

[P.S. - I had recorded 'Only You' a few months ago and especially enjoyed the sunset scene sailing down Venice's Grand Canal.]

I don't think its available on VHS or DVD, but 1962's "Rome Adventure" with Suzanne Pleshette, Angie Dickenson and Troy Donahue showed lots of scenary and featured the very popular, at that time, theme song, "Al Di La." This might pop up on TV.

Archived