Ships Traveling Together?

suzy1212

Here's a picklebongo style question for y'all.

The Conquest and Rhapsody of the Seas left Galveston within an hour of each other. They traveled within sight of each other for most of the 7 days, including docking in Galveston within minutes of each other. The only time they really separated was on day three (Tuesday) when the Conquest heads to Montego Bay for day four and Rhapsody heads for Ocho Rios. They met up in Cozumel on Friday and I don't think there was a time from then until we docked Sunday morning that you couldn't look out and see the Rhapsody.

Is this common? Are there lots of ships that basically travel together?

Here's a picklebongo style question for y'all. The Conquest and Rhapsody of the Seas left Galveston within an hour of each other. They traveled within sight of each other for most of the 7 days, including docking in Galveston within minutes of each other. The only time they really separated was on day three (Tuesday) when the Conquest heads to Montego Bay for day four and Rhapsody heads for Ocho Rios. They met up in Cozumel on Friday and I don't think there was a time from then until we docked Sunday morning that you couldn't look out and see the Rhapsody. Is this common? Are there lots of ships that basically travel together?

It happens a lot on the "regular" routes such as Alaska, Mexico, and the Caribbean. We have done the Mexican Riveria a number of times and "shadowed" another cruise line's ship.

I wouldn't be too worried about it... ;) Quite the opposite in fact.

It's nice to know that there is another ship nearby, capable of picking up people from the sea if there would ever happen to be an emergency.

I am more concerned with why the Earth rotates in the direction it does, and what would happen if we stopped it, and spun it the opposite direction:confused:

I think that might screw up the Panama Canal. :confused:

Some cruises, we've seen the same ships, and others, we've seen in some ports and not others.

Is this common? Are there lots of ships that basically travel together?

When I sailed on the Disney Wonder out of Port Canaveral, we were shadowed by a RCCL ship. (I forget which.) I asked one of the officers if that was common, he said yes. Competing cruise lines will copy a popular itinerary and offer a lower rate.

In fact, on the last night, I saw lights of three cruise ships from my balcony.

We noticed the same thing on our last (and first) cruise. We were on RC and were followed by a Carnival ship. Being newbies we didn't pay attention to which ship it was only that it was Carnival. We thought it was probably a good idea...

In fact, on the last night, I saw lights of three cruise ships from my balcony.

I thought that was cool, looking out of my window in the middle of the night passing another ship. I never thought anything about it at all. Isn't it funny how we all think things differently :rolleyes:

We were on the Spirit a couple of years ago in Mexico, and the Pride sailed past us. They had us go up to the Lido and wave at the Pride and the people on the Pride did the same. We are leaving in a month on the Pride and I have some wonderful photos of our ship now! I think it's great that we share the waters with other ships!

Archived