public holiday the day we are in Vila!

sarze

have just been reading my Jasons tourist info (Thanks Aussiedisneyfan) and there is a public holiday on the day we are in Port Vila! As I am a shopperholic and was really looking forward to this day i am understandably panicking. Do you guys think the shops will all be closed or are they a touristy town that will still continue because the ships in?

The holiday is Unity Day on the 29th Nov.

:(

Hope the tours are on as well, the p&o site still has them all listed for our cruise but i don't really hold much faith in that :rolleyes:

Thanks Lorraine,

I emailed them last night and got a reply already!

They said all shops and restaurants are still open in Vila on that public holiday :)

I would have been very suprised if they weren't... I would say the economy in Vila is very dependant on revenue from tourism, particularly the cruise ships.

Now, if it had been Noumea, that would be a different story. I imagine NOTHING would be open there on a public holiday. Certainly nothing much stays open when the ships out of Brisbane are only there in the late afternoon/evening.

Kym

No way would all the shops close in Villa on a Public Holiday if there is a cruise ship there. Some of the smaller shops may close. But the duty free shops (which is almost all of them :) ) would not close. Even the markets will def b there. They make way to much money from the ships there. From what i was told by our quide on one of the tours each time a cruise ship comes they make about $250,000+ from all the shopping, tours etc.

Archived