Seattle Hotels Thru Hal?

sckal

We just wanted to give everyone a heads up about a pretty drastic change in price from the 2007 Alaska brochure on the Seattle Pre-cruise hotels thru HAL. We are booked on the 5/23 Zaandam and are flying into Seattle to sightsee there on 5/22. The brochure price on the airport Hilton shows $95, it's actually $123 and the downtown Sheraton is $167 versus the $140 shown in the "brand new" Alaska 2007 book. Has anyone else experienced this? I would really love to stay at the hotel on my own, but then I don't know where to catch the HAL transportation to Vancouver? I would love to take the AMTRAK as several have mentioned, however I'm traveling with my mother who is not adventurous and would be a nervous wreck; therefore we will be taking the transfer from Seattle to Vancouver on day of embarkation thru HAL. Any ideas? Should I call HAL directly to find out why the big price difference?:(

I just booked both an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle and a NW Coastal out of Vancouver while on was on the Veendam this week. I requested a hotel for our Vancouver stay because although the price was quite high for both the Fairmont and the Pan Pacific this year, both were definitely 5 star and would stay at again . When Tina the Cruise Consultant on board tried to book our hotel with the October Coastal the only hotel thru HAL that came up was the the airport Sheraton. Then I asked about for our Seattle departure in June. It seems that while HAL has published rates they have not actually confirmed the Hotels for 2006. I would sit back and wait for another 30 days and have you TA check on it later. The prices could in fact come back down and they may also have more choices. I myself am hoping for a similiar deal they did this year out of Seattle with the free night precruise stay:)

I've spent a great deal of time in Seattle, and if you are planning on doing any sightseeing, I would strongly suggest you not stay near the airport, unless you have a car and are comfortable driving in unfamiliar areas. It is a fairly expensive taxi ride into Seattle from the airport. And Seattle is a great city for walking around downtown, though it is quite hilly.

The last few times we have sailed out of Vancouver, we have stayed in Seattle - because of the way we have to book our own air. HAL's hotel for those taking the HAL bus to Vancouver is the Downtown Sheraton -- that is the only hotel stop for that run. The bus comes from the airport and picks up people at the Sheraton. We always book the Sheraton on our own. But I do know that on our stay there, a couple of other people had to take a taxi from another hotel inorder to take the bus to Vancouver.

For guests sailing out of Seattle, this past summer HAL used the Fairmont.

Thanks to you all for your help. I think since there is a lot of time until May 2007, I will sit tight for now. If the price difference stays the same at about $25 pp airport versus downtown, we will probably change and stay downtown since taxis are high. It just seemed strange to me that in our 15 or so cruises on HAL and Princess with pre-cruise stays through the cruise line, this is the first time our rate is different than what's in the book.:)

....For guests sailing out of Seattle, this past summer HAL used the Fairmont.

The Fairmont Olympic is wonderful. It used to be the Four Seasons Olympic. 5 Diamond hotel, luxurious, magnificent service, great restaurants though pricey, which you would expect.

I certainly agree with a previous post. Don't stay at or near the airport. You will miss enjoying downtown Seattle and that would be a shame.

We have two cruises booked out of Seattle next year; one in mid-May and the other in late August. I booked a room at the airport for the May trip last June and last week when the bookings opened for August I booked the same type room at the same hotel. It is $65.00 higher that the one in May! My thought is that because Seattle is becoming a more popular port the hotels figure they can get more money than they could when fewer cruises left from there. Just out of curiosity I checked the current pricing for a room in May and it had also gone up in price quite a bit.

I am so glad about getting input from other travelers. we may stay downtown and get to the Sheraton from our downtown hotel, someone has suggested Crowne Plaza, or we may stay near the airport and take Seattle Express to the downtown area for sightseeing on our own for $12 round-trip. Nevertheless , great to get advise to pick and choose from from so many experienced West Coast travelers. Thanks!

Archived