New City....Never Been There Before.......

sail7seas

I think Sail had such a great idea with this thread and I've really enjoyed reading most poster's responses.

It is very clear reading Sail's post what her meaning was and no one could possibly misinterpret it if they read her post. One should not simply glimpse the heading of a thread and run with it ... reading the OP and subsequent posts makes clear the question.

Quite recently some really good threads on CC have ended on the cutting room floor for the same reason and it's not fair to the many CCers who really want to enjoy the original subject.

There's a "ports of call" section on CC which might be a great place to start a thread on the particular points of interest in any given port.

New City ......Never been there before.

I suppose I would have been more clear if I had written a City you have never been to before. Thanks, Heather, for saying most people understood the conversation I was hoping to start and thanks to everyone who made it an interesting conversation.

I really did want to know how most people approached planning their day in a port they had never visited before.

We almost never take ships tours and wondered if we were all that unique in that respect.

We took several ships tours this August on Maasdam and enjoyed them very much. Maybe we'll plan in a few more in the future. ;) Maybe not. We'll see.

We are more the type that likes to wait until we get there. See what we feel like doing on that given day. See what the weather is. We're not big on pre-planning each day or micro planning our vacations.

If your ship is going to stop at a city you have never been to, are you more likely to book a ship's sponsored tour, an independent tour you arrange prior to traveling to the ship or arrange a private tour on your own at the dock?

You DID say a 'city you have never been to', so there was no misunderstanding what you meant at all, IF your post had been read and not just the subject line. Your post was clear and I think almost everybody reads at least the original post on any thread before replying.

Thank you, too, Heather for your post. This board is supposed to be about cruising and we don't need the lessons or the lectures. :rolleyes:

We almost never take ships tours and wondered if we were all that unique in that respect.

...We're not big on pre-planning each day or micro planning our vacations.

We are the same. We started cruising 6 years ago and all of the places we went to were new. We really enjoyed exploring the new places on our own. Now that I am here on CC, I enjoy doing a little research on the various ports and have some ideas of things I might like to do, but I prefer to make a decision on what we are going to do when we actually are there. This way we aren't stuck going on a snorkel excursion when it is too choppy or rainy to enjoy it. We probably miss out on a few things here and there, but the cruise is about spending time together and relaxing, which we accomplish no matter what.:D

Jennifer

For us, the best is I do the research so I know what is available in that port to see or do that might interest us.

Then, when we arrive we can decide if we want to do or see it. I'd hate to miss out on something because I didn't know it existed. If we choose to not go, that is fine but at least we made the 'informed' choice.

For us, the best is I do the research so I know what is available in that port to see or do that might interest us.

Then, when we arrive we can decide if we want to do or see it. I'd hate to miss out on something because I didn't know it existed. If we choose to not go, that is fine but at least we made the 'informed' choice.

We like to do the same, at least on the research. I love guidebooks, all those possiblilities! Now, I do much of the same research on the Internet.

On the waiting until we get there, that is almost impossible for me. My family gets SO TIRED of reading books and web pages about things I have planned and booked for them over a year in advance. Patience is not my strong suit.

Beth

ps. I double majored in Economics/History at Duke University and graduated cum laude, but I can't figure out how to work the "ignore" feature on this website. Can someone help me?

Beth, click on the poster's name and then click on "view public profile". There you will see a line reading "Add **** to my ignore list" ... click that and you're done:) .

Back on topic, ports!!:D It's always a bit of a conundrum for me because as someone said, it might end up being a day we really don't feel like touring. Or it might threaten rain or be terribly foggy or rough (not the best for a shoreline excursion by boat;) ). So winging it sometimes proves a good way to go.

It also would make a huge difference whether we're visiting an island or an historic city with much to see. If you're only there for a day, sometimes a tour (either ship's or otherwise) works best.

It depends on where we are. In the Caribbean its possible to just get off the ship and pick up a guide--not so in Europe. I use the port boards here and also research in guidebooks--Frommers, Rick Steves and Eyewitness. For our trip to the Med I also used the tripadvisor local experts. Very rarely there will be a ship shore excursion that looks inviting, just not bus people. But then we're used to traveling independently in general--the only difference with cruising is that your hotel will leave without you if you decide to dally too much.

PS--yes Heather I'm packed and counting the hours!!! LITERALLY!!!

It depends on where we are. In the Caribbean its possible to just get off the ship and pick up a guide--not so in Europe. I use the port boards here and also research in guidebooks--Frommers, Rick Steves and Eyewitnessl !!

mountainmare- is eyewitness an on-line site?

Beth

Archived