Another Passport Extension?

bubbles1209

My passport took 6 weeks to the day.

I hope they stick to their guns and keep the Jan 8th, 2007 deadline. Doesn't matter what date you select... people will procastinate to the very end.

Me too, and I've been lobbying to everyone who matters. It's ridiculous that they might be extending this... it's 3 months before the initial deadline and everyone was already prepared. I just don't get it... Glad to hear it didn't take you 6-9 months to get yours :p LOL

I know now in the future when I cross the border into Canada I will feel so much more secure with my passport in hand.

True... and it's already such a hassle without a passport. I travel up there with a business partner who always uses his BC... and we ALWAYS get tied up for longer... they look at my passport and they are done, but with him it takes longer. It's just a better form of ID and recognized around the world.

I recently applied for my passport for our cruise in the summer of '07. I applied at the end of July and by the middle of August (approximately 3 weeks) I had a passport. We just applied for DH and DS's passport about a week ago. When I get theirs in, I will come back and let everyone know how long it took.

I am so glad we have are passports now and I don't NEED to worry about DEADLINES or getting stuck somewhere and have trouble getting back!!:D We planned way ahead to spread out the cost. Now, I can set back and just patiently wait for our cruise. Did I say PATIENTLY? No, I am not waiting patiently. That is why I am on the board.

I thought the government would be more concerned with Homeland security than the tourism industry.:confused:

It's only human nature that every time they extend it, there wil be the procrastinators who wait until the last minute.

Bill

Yeah, one would think :rolleyes: I've tried to dig up who was behind this... I have some guesses about which side this came from, but I'm not going there :p LOL!!

Passports don't automatically equal safety. Didn't all of the September 11th hijackers have passports?

Of course they don't equal safety... I haven't seen anyone say that, but as with everything else put in place, it is a small step towards it. ANY step is a good step... NOTHING equals safety, but you do what you can to make small steps...

I believe the talk of an extension was due to people who could not afford to get passports but had to travel, to visit relatives in Mexico for example, but were earning so little that the passport fee would be a severe hardship.

I don't think anyone that could afford to go on a cruise could stay with a straight face that the passport fee was a hardship for them.

If they do make exceptions to the rule, I hope it is only for land crossings to Mexico, and that all cruise passengers will still need on come Jan. 1st!!

If you go read the legislation, the extension seems to apply to the PASS card, which is a type of identity document that allows entry into the use on land crossings between the US and Canada, and the US and Mexico. I have looked at the bill a half a dozen times and I find NO mention of passports in it at all.

The legislation was originally proposed by senators Stevens of Alaska and Lehay of Vermont. They proposed it because of all the trouble with land crossings between their states and Canada.

If you go read the legislation, the extension seems to apply to the PASS card, which is a type of identity document that allows entry into the use on land crossings between the US and Canada, and the US and Mexico. I have looked at the bill a half a dozen times and I find NO mention of passports in it at all.

The legislation was originally proposed by senators Stevens of Alaska and Lehay of Vermont. They proposed it because of all the trouble with land crossings between their states and Canada.

I've looked everywhere as well, and have seen nothing about this, other than seeing what was briefly posted on CC... I'll believe it when I see it from the horse's mouth :p

I didn't see anything about passports in that either. I did, however receive my passport today in the mail:D I applied on Sept. 6th, and received it from New Orleans processing center today, only took 26 days!!:D I was way surprised, and happy. So now, I can honestly say I don't need to worry about it.....all set!

10-02-06

news.gifCruisers Get Passport Reprieve

The International Council of Cruise Lines is reporting that Congress has passed a provision that will delay the passport requirement for cruisers going to the Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean until a new form of identification (called the PASScard) can be initiated, or June 1, 2009, whichever comes first.

According to Christine Fischer of the ICCL, this delay will apply to cruise passengers traveling by sea, but for people traveling to these destinations by air the deadline for passport requirement, Jan. 8, 2007, is still in force.

The delay was added at the last minute to the FY2007 Homeland Security Appropriations bill (H.R. 5441), approved by Congress this week.

Does this mean if Im cruising after Jan.8,2007 that I now dont have to have a passport? Am I reading this right?

That is what it sounds like... not sure that it is on the DOS or Carnival website yet... I would go by what is posted there, so just keep your eye on it.

What that press release from a lobbying agency says is that an extension has passed the House. That is different than it being passed into law. The appropriations bill still has to pass the senate and be signed into law, and there is no guarantee that it will happen. This is not the first time this year that an extension has been added to an appropriations bill. Also, if you read the language of the house bill referenced in that press release, it refers to extending the LAND deadline to 2009, but does not refer to extending the sea deadline.

Basically until you see the date change on the State Department's website (travel.state.gov), the deadline for cruise passengers to get a passport is still January 8, 2007.

Does this mean if Im cruising after Jan.8,2007 that I now dont have to have a passport? Am I reading this right?

The answer is:

...yes

...no

...maybe

...sorta

...i don't know

Remember, any change [if there is one] hasn't been signed into law. This proposed appropriations measure, whch has some controversial aspects unrelated to passports/cruising, quite possibly won't be signed/vetoed until after the November elections

I would go by the Dept.of State website, and right now it says you need a passport by Jan of 2007, I would just go by what they say until their site says different. Wouldn't it be terrible to think you had all of this time, and then when you did apply it didn't come in before your trip? Even more terrible to be booked paid for in line at check-in, and :eek: refused boarding because you didn't have one? I say go on & get it, better safe than sorry.

I continue to advise people to get their passports asap. Regardless of what says this or who says that I'm going to go with what the cruise lines say.

They do own the ships.

I throw "oh but I can save so much money" by not buying a passport right now in the same garbage pile as justification not to tip onboard.

If you're gonna do it, do it right.

OMG I sound like my father.

OK< I have not responded to any of the passport threads until this one.

So many people have said it is iresponsible for people not to have a passport, that is an unfare statement. I travel a lot so yes I happen to have one however, I am traveling with my boyfriend on Jan 6th out of Miami. He does not travel a lot and is not even sure if he will like taking a cruise. So why should we have to pay a lot of money for something that he may use only once....expecially when the cruise line checks everything before you board the ship, then takes a picture of you so you can reboard? Seems to me that if you get on the ship in Miami (a US state) then you have already proven that you belong in this country, you must show all of your necessary info; so why is it so important to have a passport?

To me it is like having your driver's license and you must show it or get a new one every time you go to another state! So if I travel from Seattle to Portland I would need to get a new driver's license or go to the local police station and show them my current legal Washington State license....does anyone get where I am going here.

We are not visiting third world countries here, we are going to the Caribbean; in which some of the Islands are US occupied and others are our buddies across the pond!

Having to do this just adds expense (I am thankful it's only one passport we may have to get), really does not increase security, and certainly does not stop any form of terrorism.

Just my opinion

OK< I have not responded to any of the passport threads until this one.

So many people have said it is iresponsible for people not to have a passport, that is an unfare statement. I travel a lot so yes I happen to have one however, I am traveling with my boyfriend on Jan 6th out of Miami. He does not travel a lot and is not even sure if he will like taking a cruise. So why should we have to pay a lot of money for something that he may use only once....expecially when the cruise line checks everything before you board the ship, then takes a picture of you so you can reboard? Seems to me that if you get on the ship in Miami (a US state) then you have already proven that you belong in this country, you must show all of your necessary info; so why is it so important to have a passport?

To me it is like having your driver's license and you must show it or get a new one every time you go to another state! So if I travel from Seattle to Portland I would need to get a new driver's license or go to the local police station and show them my current legal Washington State license....does anyone get where I am going here.

We are not visiting third world countries here, we are going to the Caribbean; in which some of the Islands are US occupied and others are our buddies across the pond!

Having to do this just adds expense (I am thankful it's only one passport we may have to get), really does not increase security, and certainly does not stop any form of terrorism.

Just my opinion

Why is it important to have a passport?? Because you are visiting OTHER countries outside of the US. What if you were detained in another country? Do you think it would be easy to say "i didn't feel like getting one because I may never use it again"??? That won't fly. As for our buddies... no, not all the countries we visit are going to let you go or be your buddy. Sure it won't stop terrorism, it may add to curbing it... as for security issues, there is more to it than curbing terrorism. How many countries in this world allow you to come in without a passport?? Do you want a slew of people coming into this country with just a secondhand ID??? It's an international form of ID...

If I were going into another country to stay....then yes, we should have a passport! I am on a ship (just a floating vehicle) that has already checked all needed identification. I am there for ONE day, not any lengthy period of time. The cruiseline will notify the gov't of any missing persons. As for being detained, in the Caribbean I would highly doubt it, most of the Islands that cruiselines visit are very safe and friendly (which is why they visit). A cruiseline would never go to say...........Syria, Lebanon or any other unsafe/unfriendly area. I believe the most dangerous place that a cruiseline goes is probably Jamaica, come on!

So I think your argument is invalid......................

If I were going into another country to stay....then yes, we should have a passport! I am on a ship (just a floating vehicle) that has already checked all needed identification. I am there for ONE day, not any lengthy period of time. The cruiseline will notify the gov't of any missing persons. As for being detained, in the Caribbean I would highly doubt it, most of the Islands that cruiselines visit are very safe and friendly (which is why they visit). A cruiseline would never go to say...........Syria, Lebanon or any other unsafe/unfriendly area. I believe the most dangerous place that a cruiseline goes is probably Jamaica, come on!

So I think your argument is invalid......................

As for being detained, I mean... any reason, you don't just get detained at unsafe ports, LMAO. It happens all the time... people get left, people get arrested, people get hospitalized... happens ALL THE TIME. Try getting very far without a passport. And please tell me why it matters how long someone is staying??? :confused:

Sorry you think it's invalid... obviously, since eventually EVERYONE will need a passport to cruise... many others DON'T think so :p:p

Archived