Are We In A World Of ...?

hammerinfrank

Does she have a Social Security Number? You need proof of birth for that. Check on the spelling on that card, or see if you can follow back at your local SS office to see what the spelling was.

Also, the person checking the birth records may have typed in the wrong year or made some other data entry error and not noticed. Simply asking another person in the same office to find this information might solve the problem.

Just another thought, hug her and forgive her for this oversight. She feels bad enough already. Stuff happens! If this is the worst you two encounter in life, your marriage will truly be blessed.

also in a pinch once. my voter registration card along with drivers license plus one other like last pay stub or utility bill with my address has gotten me in and out of Mexico and on flights within the Caribbean.

have also done the affadavitt at lax whith my Dad.

But all of this was before 911!

She might check with the state as most states keep vital records at the state level. Also you mentioned the records person looking in the county database. Did they also look for the actual record?

Someone also mentioned trying again with a different clerk checking. Good idea.

Also recheck with her parents if living. If not, check with siblings who might have her certificate in with family papers.

Frank, I had a similar problem 20 yrs ago. The state and county didnt have a record, but local town hall and hospital did. It required a drive to both of them to get copies. good luck, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you

Did they also look for the actual record?

That was my thought. Instead of just typing her name with multiple spellings into the computer, which is only as good as the data entered into it, I was wondering if the clerks would search the actual paper or micro-film records? This can't be the first time someone is a "no show."

Frank - let us know what happens tomorrow. Sure hope you get to sail on Saturday. It's been a long wait since February. :)

I had to get a birth certificate quickly this month for my daughter to start preschool. In Virginia, you can go directly to the Dept. of Vital Records to apply if you need it same day. The person at the window next to me had no photo ID and they allowed someone, her mother I think, swear an affidavit as to DOB, name, etc. I would imagine each state to be different but I would go to the website of her birth state's Vital Records dept. and see what they allow. It could be they would allow a family member to swear to her identity as long as that person has proof of citizenship (i.e., passport, driver's license, birth certificate, etc.) There were approx. 60 people in line in front of me and I was out in less than an hour. Good luck.

The way I read this, OP is leaving on the Oosterdam on Oct 7 -- next Saturday.

No time to get a passport.

Any possibility if you use an expediting service? I was under the impression these services, though they can be pricey, can get the passport to you in a matter of days.

Blue skies ...

--rita

This is NOT a deal breaker---

There is booth at every International airport that will help you---even when you get to the airport---I had this happen to a good friend who did NOT have a birth certifivate --you need to go to the record office and get a CERTIFICATE OF LIVE BIRTH---this will suffice---

You,also, can go to ANY passport office and get a passport within 24 hrs and same day for an emergency!!

Start calling around--there is ALWAYS a way--

GOOD LUCK FRANK

As a school nurse we have copies of each students birth certificate in their records at school. Your old high school should still have your records on microfilm.

Call them.

Linda

You can get a passport in 24 hours, but the same problem exists, the birth certificate.

Ummmmm ... no, once you have the passport you DON'T need the b.c., because in nearly all cases you needed the b.c. to get the passport! ;)

As a school nurse we have copies of each students birth certificate in their records at school. Your old high school should still have your records on microfilm.

Call them.

Linda

That is such helpful info. I NEVER would have thought of that. Sure makes sense though.

Ummmmm ... no, once you have the passport you DON'T need the b.c., because in nearly all cases you needed the b.c. to get the passport! ;)

I don't dispute this. Maybe my post wasn't clear to you.

Someone mentioned that they thought you could get an expidited passport. I answered yes. but the same issue exits for the OP. No BC no passport. ;)

To add to an earlier post: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html

If you do NOT have a previous U.S. passport or a certified birth certificate, you will need:

1. Letter of No Record

Issued by the State with your name, date of birth, which years were searched for a birth record and that there is no birth certificate on file for you.

1. AND as many of the following as possible:

• Baptismal certificate

• Hospital birth certificate

• Census record

• Early school record

• Family bible record

• Doctor's record of post-natal care

NOTES: These documents must be early public records showing the date and place of birth, preferably created within the first five years of your life.

You may also submit an Affidavit of Birth, form DS-10, from an older blood relative, i.e., a parent, aunt, uncle, sibling, who has personal knowledge of your birth. It must be notarized or have the seal and signature of the acceptance agent.

Hammerinfrank,

I really hope she can locate that birth certificate.

I hope he comes back to let us know how they make out. This is one of those 'cliffhangers' that we all hope works out fine and hate to 'be left hanging'.

Good Luck.

We all really hope a parent/sibling yells HERE IT IS and finds her BC among some of their papers.

but the same issue exits for the OP. No BC no passport. ;)

But as I explained in my post #25 ... and I think you now realize from reading your post #42 ... you CAN get a passport WITHOUT a b.c. if you have the letter of no record and "enough" other evidence. That was my only point. :o

I hope it works out for you; but if it doesn't be sure to send her flowers and candy from the first port! ;)

Virgil

;) Better yet. IF you don't get to go, send her flowers and tell her you love her. She will feel soooo bad she'll need your support.

And, also, if by any chance you're not successful with getting proof of birth and you find your insurance doesn't cover such an instance (which I'm absolutely positive it does not), then there is only one thing left you can do ..................

You'll have to break her leg. That will be covered.:D:D

Seriously, I hope all the people who say that HAL CCers aren't helpful are taking note of this thread. Lots of great help here and I'm hoping one of them works for the OP.

I feel terrible for you! I so hope it works out and you get to go.

And, also, if by any chance you're not successful with getting proof of birth and you find your insurance doesn't cover such an instance (which I'm absolutely positive it does not), then there is only one thing left you can do ..................

You'll have to break her leg. That will be covered.:D:D

Seriously, I hope all the people who say that HAL CCers aren't helpful are taking note of this thread. Lots of great help here and I'm hoping one of them works for the OP.

I feel terrible for you! I so hope it works out and you get to go.

Heather: you one funny lady :D

Archived