Are We In A World Of ...?

hammerinfrank

To all who offered their support, thank you. I know none of you but I felt the sincerity in your hopes for us. Lots of great suggestions too.

Irma came home today with a duplicate of her birth certificate. Her first name on the certificate is misspelled (ERMANN ?) The clerk at the recorders office was quite helpful and spent some time looking and was able to find it. Waiting for a return call from the HAL offices and hoping that the misspelling is not another roadblock.

Now I'm more pumped than ever, cruise is just days away.

You guys are great!

I'm just catching up on this thread and have a question. You say this is a "duplicate" bc. Are you sure it is a "certified" copy with the raised seal? I think it has to be either the original or a "certified" copy.

For all that have asked how "Irma" could have gotten a driver's license, enrolled in school, etc, without a birth certificate, it depends on the person's age and location. In many locations, record checking used to be very lax. Before copy machines, no school kept a copy of whatever documents were provided, and if the school teacher or principal knew the family they may not have required any document.

I got a driver's license and social security card without a birth certificate. In fact, I never had a certified copy of my birth certificate until I was 40 years old. I happened to be in the city where I was born and had a few hours available, so I stopped by the courthouse and got two certified copies.

My father never had a birth certificate, but he had a driver's license and social security card, and collected social security.

My FIL had to go to the local SS office in the County seat here the other day.

His passport which was renewed about a ayear ago has his correct birthday and his birth certificate does also..

But the clerk at the Social Security Office, which she is a public civil servant, tells him in her system it shows he is born the next day ..? huh.. not on his Birthday even his mother always told him..

Well she said he will now have two birthdays in the same month..

I (IMHO) think she just did not want to correct there error in the system...

I would term (Clerical Error) that as many times in even years past names/dates/places are journeled in incorrectly.. this is just another example in the 22nd century coming now..

I am so glad I am not a ciivil servant clerk ..my spelling is attrocious.. :eek:

Have you seen this also?:eek:

Well guys, looks like this may not be a done deal after all. I spoke w/a HAL supervisor again yesterday explaining (again) our situation and telling her about the misspelling on Irma's birth certificate. She suggested that we attempt to get the spelling corrected with the recorders office BEFORE Saturday otherwise they will not allow us to board. Irma returned to the recorders office yesterday and the clerk told her that they were unable to a) correct and re-issue the BC by Saturday or b) supply a document stating that the BC is in error but they did tell her that if she were to supply a written notarized statement by her mother stating that Irma is indeed I-R-M-A and not ERMANN and confirming DOB and place of birth that the recorders office would put their official stamp on the document. I will be calling HALs office again this morning to ask if this will fly.

Frank

Oh no!!!! Frank, this is like one of those nightmares you keep waking up from and go back into again.

Good luck! I know you'll let us know. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and I have to tell you this .........

You are being absolutely stellar about this situation! You patience is incredible. My DH would be wringing my neck right about now for not doing this sooner. Your fiance is one lucky lady ... that's all I'm sayin' :)

I'm just catching up on this thread and have a question. You say this is a "duplicate" bc. Are you sure it is a "certified" copy with the raised seal? I think it has to be either the original or a "certified" copy.

FWIW, the State of Virginia no longer issues "raised seals" on their birth certificates. They are printed on watermarked paper and look like car titles. My BC (with a raised seal) looks so much more official (and has much more information) than my children's, which looks like something I could print at home.

Well guys, looks like this may not be a done deal after all. ... I will be calling HALs office again this morning to ask if this will fly.

Frank

What's happening, Frank??? You haven't posted in a day and a half ... I hope that's not a bad sign! :confused: :confused: :confused:

FWIW, the State of Virginia no longer issues "raised seals" on their birth certificates. They are printed on watermarked paper and look like car titles. My BC (with a raised seal) looks so much more official (and has much more information) than my children's, which looks like something I could print at home.

Sorry Elizabeth..but Virginia is a Commenwealth. :eek:

What's happening, Frank??? You haven't posted in a day and a half ... I hope that's not a bad sign! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Things are not looking good. As I mentioned in yesterday's post, Irma got a notarized statement from her mother stating the facts of her birth and the recorder's office is offering to put their official seal on it in an effort to help us. Hal is telling me that this will not suffice and that the BC has to be correct. It appears if we are indeed "in a world of ...". I am waiting for a phone call from HAL in hopes of making one last attempt to get this to happen but at this point it looks as if I will be canceling our cruise in the mornig.

Again, thanks to all for your support. You are truly a caring community.

I guess it's never too early to beginning plan a "next" cruise (or to get your documents in order!).

Frank

This is probably really dumb but how about if HAL issues her documents (lists her on the manifest) with her name mis-spelled to match her (incorrect) birth certificate?

They probably won't have time to get the docs to you but it is very common for docs to be picked up at the dock.

Sincerely wishing you Good Luck and an 11th hour miracle.....if that is what it will take.

This is probably really dumb but how about if HAL issues her documents (lists her on the manifest) with her name mis-spelled to match her (incorrect) birth certificate?

They probably won't have time to get the docs to you but it is very common for docs to be picked up at the dock.

Sincerely wishing you Good Luck and an 11th hour miracle.....if that is what it will take.

The problem is that her name on boths pieces of identification she would be using (BC and CA drivers license) do not match.

That is where the certified stamp from the County Offices would be beneficial. Her photo ID would show she is the person in the photo....the official stamp on her mother's affidavit of mis-spelling would explain the difference in names. The Birth Certificate seems to be their hang up so perhaps if the error transferred to her photo ID, they may feeel better about it.

Have you presented this question to HAL?

Doesn't seem there's much to lose by asking?

I guess it's never too early to beginning plan a "next" cruise (or to get your documents in order!).

Frank

Or use your refund to book a plane to the beautiful island of Kauai !! I think you can forgot the pain there!

We're all sorry.

I suspect that the person at HAL is reading from a canned script, so to say, and has no clue as to what constitutes acceptable documents. The driver' license, birth certificate and notarized document with county seal should be acceptable to any person with an ounce of sense, but they have been trained to say that the documents must match. Period.

I'd be willing to bet that if they show up at checkin with those documents they will not be turned away. The people that handle the checkins are much more knowledgeable about documents than the people at HAL that answer the phones.

Slinkie has what appears to be mismatched documents. She is always listed on the documents by her married name. Her driver's license is in her maried name. Her passport shows her maiden name on the front page. Most of the time, no one even questions the difference. If they do, we show them the last page which shows the name change. We have yet to find someone that already knows they should look at the amendment page.

Please forgive me if I'm misunderstanding the whole problem.

Isn't the issue whether or not Irma will be allowed back in the country after the Mexico port stops? So the decision isn't really HAL's but INS. What about calling INS to see what someone there has to say? I mean, if you drove to Tijuana for the day & tried to return with the current docs as is, would you be allowed back in the US?

Just a thought. :)

It is HAL that can deny her boarding at the start of the cruise due to their concern she may not be allowed to disembark and re-enter the U.S. at the end of the cruise.

Of course, you are right that it is Homeland Security that controls entry into U.S.

Thanks Sail. A little devil's advocate here:

Say a dock agent wasn't paying very close attention & let Irma board the ship with her current docs. Then at the end of the cruise INS says no, sorry, she can't get back into the country. Is this a case of the whole ship not being cleared? Or is it sorry, she has to stay onboard for a few more weeks until it's all straightened out? Hmmmmm, I wonder?

I don't know if this would work but it did for my sister-inlaw. When she was born some of the family was registered,filed, and some were not. She was not. My husband had to fill out papers saying when, and were, she was born, he was the eldest in the family, then had them notarized and then sent to court house or ?, could have taken them, and had them certified. She needed proof to collect social security and this was a last ditch effort for her. All i can say is it worked so if you have an elder relative around might want to try it. Abby:rolleyes:

How about when you get the B C go to the MVD and get a new license. I am sure they could see the mispelling an know why and not give you a big hassle and within an hour you can be in and out of the MVD. My prayers are with you. Abby:o

I'd be willing to bet that if they show up at checkin with those documents they will not be turned away. The people that handle the checkins are much more knowledgeable about documents than the people at HAL that answer the phones.

Yes, I would agree ... but it is a BIG bet, because the policy clearly states "Guests arriving at embarkation without complete and accurate documentation may not join the voyage and will not be entitled to a refund".

I say cancel, get as much refund as they can, and try again another cruise. At least it's the start of the winter season so they wouldn't have to wait a whole year. :(

Archived