Are We In A World Of ...?

hammerinfrank

Frank, if you haven't cancelled yet, I just had a thought: maybe you could get your records office to give Irma a new b.c. today that shows her name as "Erma nn", with a space in there. Then tell the HAL people that you were told the "nn" meant "no name", as in nmi for "no middle initial". They might then let the Erma/Irma difference pass. But it is a gamble that could be costly.

How about when you get the B C go to the MVD and get a new license. I am sure they could see the mispelling an know why and not give you a big hassle and within an hour you can be in and out of the MVD. My prayers are with you. Abby:o
that might be a solution for the immediate problem, but could cause other problems anytime the driver's license is used as identification when cashing a check or other transactions requiring a photo ID.

Thanks Sail. A little devil's advocate here:

Say a dock agent wasn't paying very close attention & let Irma board the ship with her current docs. Then at the end of the cruise INS says no, sorry, she can't get back into the country. Is this a case of the whole ship not being cleared? Or is it sorry, she has to stay onboard for a few more weeks until it's all straightened out? Hmmmmm, I wonder?

Susan......I don't know. Interesting question.

I have no idea what local authorities look at when they board the ship in each port to clear it before anyone can go ashore. We know they don't examine us individually in any port except the first time we return to a U.S. port after being in a foreign port. I imagine that if Irma appeared at (for example) St. Thomas Immigration Inspection and the Officials questioned her documents, she would be held and not allowed ashore but the rest of the guests would be allowed off the ship.

It seems inconceivable the whole ship would be held....either for a port stop or at the end of the cruise.

Say a dock agent wasn't paying very close attention & let Irma board the ship with her current docs. Then at the end of the cruise INS says no, sorry, she can't get back into the country. Is this a case of the whole ship not being cleared? Or is it sorry, she has to stay onboard for a few more weeks until it's all straightened out? Hmmmmm, I wonder?

My guess ... and that's all it is ... is that they would pulled into an INS office and get grilled and abused verbally for a couple/3/4/5 hours until they were satisfied that was no evil intention involved and then let them go. Maybe they'd have to pay a fine, but realistically, what else could the INS do to them? Put them on a Navy ship for life like Philip Nolan in The Man Without a Country? :D

Actually.....

To be accurate, it is the Commonwealth...... of Virginia.

Which, of course, is a state of which we have 50. Surely, the person correcting Elizabeth has something more valueable to post than this?:rolleyes:

jc

The rule of the birth cert for travel is not the Department of State or Homeland Security and it is not for reintry into the United States. It is NOW only the requirement of MEXICO. I live in San Diego and have been into Mexico many times. If I go to TJ and return to the U.S., for the time being no I.D. is required to go in either direction. BUT if I want to travel further south than Ensanada, Mexico requires a VISA.

Go to the U.S. Department of State's web page to find out the entry requirement of each country. I was required to have a notorized statement from his parents to take my grandson on a Mexico cruise but not on a trip to Europe. (We had his passport for both trips.)

Archived