Distance to Piers from Airports in NYC

hockeyhorseman

Planning a Cruise on the Noordam out of NY in April. Does anyone out there know how long it will take to get from LaGuardia and/or JFK to the pier? On the return, is it cutting it too close from disembarkation to try take an 11:10AM flight back home out of LaGuardia?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Steve

On a Saturday morning it would not be a problem. Weekdays you might experience problems, and could take up to 1 1/2 hours. Allow at least that much time. If sooner great. 11:10 fl would be close and LGA is a tough airport to get through quickly. Door to door allow at least 3-3 1/2 hrs.

I am sailing on the Noordam in December and flying into EWR. I plan on taking NJ Transit over to Penn Station and then either walking or taking a cab to the pier.

I hope you're not taking much luggage, GM...

I took a cab to Penn after my Noordam cruise and it was a nightmare getting the luggage from the curb to the platform as all the red-caps are down in the terminal as opposed to up at the curb.

I ended up falling on the escalator and causing a massive pile-up - I won't bother w/ trains out of NYC post-cruise again!

I travelled into and out of the NYC area, almost weekly, for decades. There is no way to arrive or depart Manahatten, exclusive of mass transportation, without taking a bridge or a tunnel to an airport. A simple breakdown, security issue or what not can turn what should be a 45 minute ride into a few hours of hell-o.

I also take more risks than the average passenger in terms of tight flight times. I have too much experience in NYC to think that an 11:00 AM flight is reasonable. There is too much opportunity for something to go wrong.

Of all three airports, EWR NJ is the better choice given the port is on the west side. The distance between the port and tunnel is not great, reducing the city travel time and opportunity for problems.

I personally opt for taking the train to EWR and my luggage is planned to enable it. If you have a lot of stuff to haul or want a more comfortable experience, it might be better to arrange a private car to meet you.

I hope you're not taking much luggage, GM...

I took a cab to Penn after my Noordam cruise and it was a nightmare getting the luggage from the curb to the platform as all the red-caps are down in the terminal as opposed to up at the curb.

I ended up falling on the escalator and causing a massive pile-up - I won't bother w/ trains out of NYC post-cruise again!

That's a good point; I should have mentioned that I always travel very light - just a carry on. I'm very good at packing. :D

I've also had the benefit of travelling in/out of NYC by train many times. I can understand how it might b a bit trying for someone unfamiliar with the process.

I live in Brooklyn so I have a good idea about traffic conditions. I think an 11:10am flight is much too early. You need to give yourself more than an hour at the airport before your flight and it could easily take more than an hour to get to LaGuardia or JFK. You have to go all the way across town from the west side to the midtown tunnel. This can be a nightmare in rush hour (any time from 7 to 10am). If there is a delay by the Customs in clearing the ship debarkation may not start until after 9. I wouldn't book a flight bere 1PM to be on the safe side. You'll probably end up waiting in the airport, but that is better than missing your plane.

I live in Brooklyn so I have a good idea about traffic conditions. I think an 11:10am flight is much too early. You need to give yourself more than an hour at the airport before your flight and it could easily take more than an hour to get to LaGuardia or JFK. You have to go all the way across town from the west side to the midtown tunnel. This can be a nightmare in rush hour (any time from 7 to 10am). If there is a delay by the Customs in clearing the ship debarkation may not start until after 9. I wouldn't book a flight bere 1PM to be on the safe side. You'll probably end up waiting in the airport, but that is better than missing your plane.

Never argue with someone from Brooklyn:)

Hi,

If possible, do not arrive in any NY airport weekdays between the hours of AM and AM and plan on taking a cab. As a native NYCer I can tell you that you will be caught up in rush hour, and your drive to the pier will be horrid. If you travel verrrrrrrrrrrry light, there is a great service out of JFK. You can take the Air Train to Jamaica, and than take the Long Island Railroad to NYC Penn Station. A short cab ride will get you to the pier.

THAT IS PROVIDING YOU CAN NEGOTIATE YOUR OWN LUGGAGE.;)

Going home; I agree with the other poster that it is entirely to risky to try and get an 11 am flight out. Better too book a 1-2 pm flight. Relax at the airport. REMEMBER THIS IS NYC, AND ANYTHING CAN CAUSE A DELAY.:eek:

If you need specific info on the Air Train I can get it to you. I worked in Jamaica, and took the LIRR for 13 years.

Lill:p

Forgetaboutit! Yes the one word.

LGA is actually the only Airport in NYC. But the shortest fli=ghtline you may ever see.

AWK (Newark Liberty International) is probably your best choice and the easiest arrival and depature location.. Even now some ships leave from the Borough of Brooklyn new Passenger Ship Terminal..but that in itself is a nightmare to get to too. Not even a subway is close to it.. In Manhattan the A and E etc are close to the Passenger SHip Terminal there ..about midtown as we all call it.

I used to be in the WTC every day.. and that a good tranportation hub trains subways were constantly coming and going.. the Rapid Transit as well was there..

There was/is a heliport downtown but your costs will probably be prohibitive unless you just want a tour then up a few blocks is another service one.

Getting to AWK may best be done by the MotorTransport HAL aranges .. have you priced it as well from CA there?

As an example now it is $49 USD from Philly which is like 90 min away.

Call HAL and ask them there price.

The Noordam is a wonderful choice of HAL ships too. it is the newest now in the fleet and the most technically advanced afloat.

It has the largest library afloat now as well.

The ship is crewed very well and they are sincere.

NYC can be a traffic nightmare especially in rush hours.. the time it takes to get across town (NYC - Manhattan) sometimes it takes to get to Newark (AWK).

But may your choices of transportation be well and have a great time but be careful.

Planning a Cruise on the Noordam out of NY in April. Does anyone out there know how long it will take to get from LaGuardia and/or JFK to the pier? On the return, is it cutting it too close from disembarkation to try take an 11:10AM flight back home out of LaGuardia?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Steve

I am coming from New Haven, CT about 1.5 hours north of NYC.

I can get to Penn Station in a zip. How hard is it to get three adults and a 4 month old to the pier by taxi after arriving at Penn Station? Can anyone estimate the price for a taxi?

Thanks.

Time and traffic rates vary so that is a factoring. But usually it can be 12 - 40 minutes..:eek:

I am coming from New Haven, CT about 1.5 hours north of NYC.

I can get to Penn Station in a zip. How hard is it to get three adults and a 4 month old to the pier by taxi after arriving at Penn Station? Can anyone estimate the price for a taxi?

Thanks.

Archived