P&O Trips

tommygirl1983

Are you sailing with P+O UK or Australia?

I sail solo (UK based), so always book the P+O excursions, so I have a group of people to be with.

They are a bit more expensive but if the excursion returns late the ship will wait for you (or at least it is then P+Os responsibility to get you to the next port and you are with between 20 and 40 other people).

Also if the port is missed (e.g. at a tender port), I believe you would get a full refund on the price of the excursion. You may also get a full or partial refund if the tour is bad (and you complain), which means to an extent the quality of the tours are vetted (they don't want to give too many refunds:D )

Down sides - cost, you have to do what the tour guide wants, sometimes inconsiderate members of the group are late getting back to the couch meaning you may spend less time at the next stop, kids you may not wish to tour with (that said all children on excursions I have been on have been very well behaved, but I heard about my nephew on holiday, being sick, throwing tantrums etc!!!)

Upsides - ship waits, refunds, a group of people to be with, quality control, basic security.

Karen

Hi Karen,

Thanks for your response!

I'm sailing with P&O UK. Am with my partner but i can see how you'd want to go on the trips if u were alone.

I think because we're first timers we're wanted the security aspect - especially going to places such as India, Vietnam & Egypt..

But have u found the trips to be of a good quality or have u found that other people have done similar things for a fraction of the price?

Also, do most people go with the trips or do it alone?

Just don't want to commit then find we're in the minority for a good reason!!

Thanks again,

Catherine x

I'm sailing with P&O UK.

I think because we're first timers we're wanted the security aspect - especially going to places such as India, Vietnam & Egypt..

We have cruised with both P&O UK and P&O Aus.Don't know your itinerary but with the ports you have mentioned I would go with the ships tours unless you are hiring a private guide for the day.

With only one day in these exotic ports you want to see as much as you can and not be taken for a "ride" by a local you meet on the wharf.In ports and countries we know, we do our own thing but would not contemplate India without a guide,and in Vietnam ,because you dock so far away from most things,you may have no choice.

Have not been to Egypt.

The comment about the ship waiting for you is important in these exotic ports.If you are late getting back it is quite expensive to fly on to next port,especially if its from India.Friends on a recent cruise on Pacific Princess reported that 3 passengers did not return on time and the ship left without them.Next port of call was 3 days away at the Maldives.

Catherine

But have u found the trips to be of a good quality or have u found that other people have done similar things for a fraction of the price?

I believe you can usually get local tours for less (sometimes much less) than the ships tour - for example in Gibraltar taxis will take you up the rock for a few (15?) euros each (they do make you wait while they 'fill' the taxi) where as the ships tour is unlikely to be less than £25-30.

Some ships tours are 'exclusive' in that you wont necessarily be able get the same tour (though I can only think of the lunch side of things at the moment - and lunch might be better done independantly anyway) - apparently in some places the ships tours might book up all available transport (again in Gibraltar I was warned about this possibility with regard to the Dolphin watching tours)

BUT, because I have only done ships tours I have no personal experience.

Value for money - I have always thought so given what I personnally get out of it (though looking at the costs of next years tours on QE2 it could be an expensive trip:) ) - If I did not do a tour I probably would not even get off the ship (and thats fun too - near empty ship - sunbeds galore :D)

Also, do most people go with the trips or do it alone?

Difficult one - there have been about 2000 people on the last few trips - most stops had loads of coaches waiting for us - there were 15 or so (or perhaps more) in Athens - and that doesn't include tours starting at different times.

About forty people per coach - gives about 600 on morning or all day tours - so allowing for those that stay on board, there are probably about 1000 people getting off independantly - would be interesting to see 'real' stats as opposed to my guestimates:)

If you haven't already, you might like to try the 'ports of call' section of cruise critic and post about specific ports - people who have experience in these ports might have more specific advice.

Have fun planning - thats half the fun - and it stops you going mad while waiting (249 days and counting.....)

Karen

Thanks Kiwi and Karen!

I've just bitten the bullet and booked them all!!?

Came to a scary price but i figure we're only going to do it once so what the hell! Takes the worry outta things and reassures me that we're not missing out on anything!

Now it's just a case of counting down!! Roll on Jan 9th!!

Thanx again - your advice is much appreciated ;)

Catherine

Archived