Need answer asp

Disneycruiser#1

I am trying to book our flights for our flight to FLL for the 8/28 Caribbean Princess.

We do not know how Princess handles dembarkation, how far the airport is from the port etc.

We have never cruised Princess and need to know what is the earliest flight we can book to get back 11:15 am out of FLL or 1:20 pm?

Any quick answers would be great.

Tiff

I agree with the above poster. Cruise dock is a 10 to 15 minute ride to FLL. FLL is crazy busy on cruise days,so you may make it to an early flight but getting thru check-in and security can be a whole different game. Using the curbside check-in will save a ton of time!!

I'd go for the earlier flight. You'll be off the ship by 8 or 8:30 if you have an early flight, and you can see the airport from the cruise ship terminal. You'll need to grab a cab, or pay for transfers, and you can be at the port, with luggage in hand, 30 minutes after you get off the ship. I HATE to wait around an airport, especially after a cruise when I'm tired and ready to be home. Just MHO though.

TinaLee :cool:

Book the 1:20 flight and if you get to the airport on time ask to go standby on the earlier flight.

Our last trip we had a 10:30 flight and we were off the ship and sitting at the gate at 8:45. Of course it doesn't always happen that way.

Scott

You CAN make the earlier flight if everything goes just right and you beat the crowds. There is really no problem getting off the ship. Then you have to go through Immigration (lines), find your bags (could take a few minutes), then get a cab quickly, which usually is not a problem. Don't use Princess transfers, you'll spend extra time waiting. Then you have to check in and go through security at the airport. Think you can do all that in about 2 hours? Want to take a chance? I think 11:15 is pushing it, myself, though as I said, it can be done. Your call.

It's very possible that you could make the earlier flight but it's also pretty common for disembarkation to be delayed until after 9AM, particularly if there are several cruise ships docking the same date. Yes, many people make it to the airport well before 10AM (I've done it myself) but since you have the option of a flight not too much later, I'd go for the later flight. Why stress yourself after a wonderful vacation? Also, the later flight means you can relax over breakfast and not rush off the ship. Heck, an extra hour or so on the ship is something I'd want!

As for how Princess handles disembarkation, they do a superb job of handling both embarkation and disembarkation. You walk off onto the pier. The luggage has color-coded tags and you're directed to the color to pick up your bags.

Hi'

I'm your saving grace! A local and a travel agent!

First of all, the airport is about 2 miles from Port Everglades.

Princess says they depart the port at 5pm - NOT! They usually depart at about 6!

If you're flying from JAX, I would get there around 1 or 2...why you ask?

Well, there's free lunch on board. You can acclimate yourself to the layout of the ship. You can find out where the spa is, where the dining rooms are, where the alternate dining choices are located, where the pools are, and best of all - you can hang out way before departure!

Hope this helps and you have a great time on your cruise!;)

If you book the earlier flight, make sure you go to the Purser's Desk early in the cruise to let them know. Princess disembarks in the order of colored tags which you will receive the last day or so, not necessarily by decks or cabin categories. They will be glad to make sure you have the first or second color which will be called once the ship clears --- and they do check these at the gangway. I also agree with the posters who said to grab a taxi instead of the Princess transfers -- we always do this anyway, it's no more money and MUCH easier!!

I would say the 1:20 p.m. for one reason. We were there in Feb. and we got off the ship early but the lines at the airport going through security was horrendous. We did make our flight which was 12:05 p.m. but we were sweating it. By the way we were in the security line almost an hour due to many ships in port and it was a zoo.

Marilyn

Depends....going with young kids then the 11. Just adults and you don't want to take and chances then I'd go with the 1:20 time. :)

Another thought for you. We are going on the Caribbean Princess in Nov and by taking the 8 AM flight out on Sunday we saved about $80 total for the 4 of us and we are putting that money towards staying in Florida one extra day.

I know it all depends on how smooth the disbarking goes but last fall on the Grand we had a 10:50 flight. Got the red tags and were in the 1st group off the ship, had bright ribbons on our luggage so it was a quick find, grabbed a taxi and were in line (a short one at that) at the airport at 8:50! May be some kind of record. :) :)

My family (2 kids 7 and 9) went on the CP in May. We drove down from Raleigh. We left Friday afternoon, drove to Cape Canaveral and spent the night. Got up the next morning and drove the 3 hours to the port. The parking lot was great, right next to the ship. We were there by noon, boarded right away with no problems. Since we drove, we had no worries about taking stuff on the planes. So, we took a couple of cases of drinks and water bottles, snorkel equipment, the kids pillows and stuffed animals, etc.

When we returned to FLL at the end of the cruise, we had a leisurely breakfast while the people with flights scrambled to get out. We were back home by 9:30 that night (not much later than you will be after taking that 1:20 flight). We figure we saved about $600 (after gas, hotel and parking) for the 4 of us and had no worries about making the ship or the planes.

Ahracer had a goodpint--book the later flight and if you get to the airport for the earlier flight, see if there is room for you all to get on. My sister did this returning from one of her cruises and her entire family got on an earlier flight, no charge.

Decr also had an excellent point about driving, and the fact that you would definitely save money, and you can carry more "stuff" without having to worry about baggage restrictions. And the vast majority of the hotels in FLL have free shuttle service to the pier, and the car rental agencies are all over the place.

Hey all. I ended up booking a 3:00 pm flight bc it saved a lot of money......my boys and I just used US Air from NC to Tampa and got back last night. We were visiting Grandma and Grandpa and we got 3 tickets on US Air's website for $98 EACH. I tried that again but it was more $$$ so I used Travelocity. We have cruised Disney the last 2 years and then went on a CCL cruise out of Port Canaveral at the end of May for my youngest sons third birthday. We drove each time. It is easier and saves a lot of money with 4 tickets total and with 2 little ones.........that DVD in the mini van is my best friend (lol)...but on this cruise we need to leave and be back at specific times because my husband is switching Units before he deploys so it is worth the extra $$$. Thanks for everyones help. I have the cruise booked, flights booked and just booked the Marriott Marina for the night before.

:)

Archived