Laundry 0n Board

INJO

We are booked on the Island Princess and Noticed that it has laundrys on several decks. Are these for use of passengers for their uses, in particular do they have irons and ironing boards so quick touch ups can be done. Any comments would be appreciated.

The washers and dryers are $1.00 each per load - so bring quarters. They also sell soap, bleach, etc. But I bring some in a baggie and a dryer sheet - also the earlier in the cruise you wash, the more chance of getting a washer/dryer when you want it. If you wash in the last few days - you are not the only one that has that idea!!!

Also have irons/boards available to use in the laundry room.

You don't have to bring quarters... ugh! Why carry all that weight? You can get change at the Pursar's desk. They also sell soap and softener in the shop if you don't want to use the machine in the laundry room.

I have found that doing laundry late in the afternoon, about 4 - 4:30PM is an ideal time: almost no one in the laundry room and you're done before dinner.

I also do laundry at least once during a week cruise. This last trip, I found the "pop-up" travel laundry hamper that someone talked about here. I couldn't quite picture what the poster was talking about, until I saw it at a drug store. It folds up into about a 6 x 6 flat square. Then, you unfold it and it pops up to a small free standing hamper for the closet area. Much better than stuffing dirty clothes in a suit case.

$1.00 will not dry a washer load. I did two load and it took three dryers to get them dry. I also noticed it took forever for the washers to fill with water. Our cabin was 6 doors from the laundry and it took me over 2 hours to wash and dry 2 loads.

Don

Pam, I don't want to go to the pursers desk. Its easy to get a roll of quarters and put them in the checked luggage. I've yet to have them stolen.Same reason I bring detergent in little bags- sometimes the dispensers are empty and I won't want to waste time hunting on different floors for it. My cutest experience was on the TP (its 10 days so at some point everyone does laundry). For some reason I had dryer sheets. There was a longshoreman on his honeymoon who swooned for them ! Of course they meant more to him than to me. All this is in my house anyway and goes into a ziplock. Takes no time or energy.

Just don't do laundry on a sea day. I never bothered to watch how long it took the basin to fill. Throw it in and come back.

Once I come back to the laundry room to find all my clothes neatly folded from the dryer ! I now do the same, if I use a dryer where the clothes are just sitting waiting for their owner.

I have done a lot of long cruises with 6 people in my family. Its great that Princess has laundrymats. Other lines don't. Sending out my stuff on HAL and RCCL was ok for the heavy duty stuff but is hell on the delicates.

$1.00 will not dry a washer load. I did two load and it took three dryers to get them dry. I also noticed it took forever for the washers to fill with water. Our cabin was 6 doors from the laundry and it took me over 2 hours to wash and dry 2 loads. Don

Do not know if this was the cause for your frustration, but my wife mentions when she does loads, a lot of times the lint traps are full. She always checks having run into that problem before. :D

$1.00 will not dry a washer load. I did two load and it took three dryers to get them dry. I also noticed it took forever for the washers to fill with water. Our cabin was 6 doors from the laundry and it took me over 2 hours to wash and dry 2 loads. Don

It all depends on what Princess ship you are on. The Sea Princess washers dryers are little mini things that did a bad job for me. The Island Princess had some good dryers and some bad dryers. It's a crap shoot. On the Golden Princess I lucked out and found large, properly working, washers and dryers and as further luck would have it I was the only one in the laundry room at mid day. OK that laundry room visit was a shore day that was not very long into the cruise I must confess.

You'll save money and time by bringing some soap cakes and dryer sheets.

BTW: My DW will NOT do laundry on cruises. That's my job.

P.S. If I ever get to Elite level I will no longer do laundry. Princess will do my laundry for FREE. However to get this laundry economy I've got to pay for it! :D

I packed a load's worth of allergin free detergent into ziploc bags and then placed a few into a bigger ziploc, just to make sure there wasn't any spillage. On the Island, someone offered my hubby some detergent (they bought a travel size of Tide liquid detergent) so he took them up on it. My daughter got a rash so I was glad I had our detergent. When we got back home, I took all of her clothes from the suitcase and laundry bag, even the clean stuff, and threw into the washer and re-washed in our detergent.

Archived