Dinner on Balcony?

IrishLassie

Does anyone know about "dinner on your balcony"? I saw something in the Princess catalog but it doesn't say if there is a charge for it, how you order etc. We are on the CP in Feb. & thought we might like to try it since we will have a balcony. Thanks for any info. :)

Correct, the ultimate balcony dinner is $50 PER PERSON not including tip.

Actually, on the CB it was $100 per couple. Might sound like semantics, but we had a friend traveling with us solo. They would only let us do UBD if we paid for 4 people (i.e., two couples). I tried to ask them why and all they said was that "it was a packaged deal." :confused: Not sure how a dinner cooked to order for just you is a "packaged deal" not subject to change. We declined (so they lost $150 for the sake of $50).

Just an FYI.

Room Service if very limited now. Salads, and sandwiches are about it. You can no longer order full meals from room service. I wondered when they came out with these ultimate balcony meals just how long extended room service would last. It didn't last long after that.

Why not just order from room service and have that meal on the balcony? Is there something very special about ordering the package deal? At $l00 per couple, I hope so!

It is, or so I have read .... as Toto said, for regular room service you are limited to the already limited menu (at least in balcony and lower, not sure about mini's). For UBD, they put out table cloths, silver, etc. Your waiter delivers each of several courses to your cabin / balcony, and the food looks like the best thing on the ship from the pictures posted. We really wanted to try it as we sailed away from Grand Cayman.

We very easily ordered Room Service while cruising College Fjord at our dinner time. No questions asked. It was the Prime Rib dinner night, too! We just checked out that evening's menu and gave a call. This was on the Island Princess.

Eileen

We very easily ordered Room Service while cruising College Fjord at our dinner time. No questions asked. It was the Prime Rib dinner night, too! We just checked out that evening's menu and gave a call. This was on the Island Princess.

Eileen

when was this?

Eileen

I am also interested in when this took place. My guess would be over a year and maybe two years ago when they still allowed you to order off the dining room menu in your stateroom.

Eileen

On the Island? I'd believe it. That crew doesn't know the word "no."

Why not just order from room service and have that meal on the balcony? Is there something very special about ordering the package deal? At $l00 per couple, I hope so!

The UBD isn't just food dropped off in your room. It's a multi-course meal. You'll meet with someone from dining services to go over the menu the day of your dinner. They generally offer prime rib or lobster for main courses - you can also get both prime rib and lobster served together. The evening of your dinner your waiter will come to your cabin and set up your balcony table with linens, glassware, etc. I believe you also get flowers (not totally sure on this). You'll get a pre-dinner cocktail and one of the photographers will take a few photos of you (you can pick one photo to keep for no charge). Your waiter will bring your appetizers and then wait outside your cabin door until it is time for the next course. The waiter is yours for the duration of the meal. The UBD also includes salad, main course, dessert (and did I mention champagne?). At the end of the meal the waiter will clean everything up and go. The service is great and it really is a nice experience.

We did this on the Grand last year and will do it again on the Crown.

Highly recommended experience!

My husband and I just saled the CB on 9/23 and did the ultimate balcony dinner. Best $100 we've spent in a long time!!!! The food was absolutely wonderful, and the service was super special. It was our 20th anniversary, and we couldn't have planned a better way to spend the evening!!! I highly recommend it!!!

Eileen

Eileen:

What cabin level did you have? Passengers in suites can order off the dining room menu (which is left in your cabin each day for your convenience).

How much do you usually tip? I know that in the specialty restaurants I've heard that the fee includes the tip for the servers....hmmmm

Since we had two couples on our balcony and they sent two dedicated waiters, we tipped them $20 each.

The evening was so special that we still talk about it and think that we got a bargain.

Mike:D

Archived