Extra compansation for Travel Agent helping on group cruise?

If your question is how much estra you should pay the agent for taking care of the booking, the answer should be Zero.

The agent will get their comission for you group just as if they had handled individual bookings.

I have never booked a group but it is my understanding that if the group is large enough, there will actually be discounts from the cruise line that the agent should be passing along to you. If they are not, that means that the agent is keeping the difference for him/herself.

Charlie

In terms of the TA, no further compensation is required whether the TA books one person or a group as their compensation is the commission from the booking. When you do book a large group, many times the TA will provide the customer with additional benefits as some are provided by the cruise line. And, if the booking is large enough the TA might get a complimentary cruise.

In short, it is you who might be entitled to more perks for the booking.

Keith

I'm guessing the OP is asking how she can tactfully request a discount/ rebate from the travel agent for giving her a large booking.

As a TA, I would recommend something along the lines of: "Since this is such a large group, I was wondering if you could offer us any discounts."

You can be straightforward- I guarantee it's not the first time this question has been asked. If she can't compensate with a direct rebate (sometime it's prohibited office policy), ask if maybe she could provide some little extras, like onboard credit, or taxis to the airport.

For me personally, I have a set amount of commission that I want to retain for the booking, depending on the size of the group & the amount of work involved. The rest I would be willing to negotiate with the client...

I'm guessing the OP is asking how she can tactfully request a discount/ rebate from the travel agent for giving her a large booking.

As a TA, I would recommend something along the lines of: "Since this is such a large group, I was wondering if you could offer us any discounts."

You can be straightforward- I guarantee it's not the first time this question has been asked. If she can't compensate with a direct rebate (sometime it's prohibited office policy), ask if maybe she could provide some little extras, like onboard credit, or taxis to the airport.

For me personally, I have a set amount of commission that I want to retain for the booking, depending on the size of the group & the amount of work involved. The rest I would be willing to negotiate with the client...

I have booked a theme cruise in January and the wonderful man that helped me with the reservation, found me a cabinmate, answers emails and phone calls 7 days a week and more or less has held my hand for the entire process (passport issues were making me crazy). He will be on the same cruise with his wife. Have already sent a letter to the head guy at the Cruise line complimenting him and asked if the agent could get some kudos. Of course, found out they were friends so he already knows he is great. Would like to do something special for he and his wife - can't do it over the internet because everytime I email the company I get ananswer from him. What is appropriate?

To the OP, I am not sure either what you are asking? Are you expecting the TA to do something a little special for you or do you want to do something for the TA? If you want something special, of course there are certain perks that go with large groups: one being (depending on the cruise line) one free birth for x number of passengers booked: that should go back to the group in some way; 2-sometimes the cruise line throws something in, like a cocktail party or something special in the cabin at embarkation. I agree with what Laughingoutloud has to say. I base all my commissions truthfully, on what I feel I need to net depending on the work involved etc. Anything extra I like to share with my cliants is some way. Now, if you are asking about helping the agent, no the agent gets commission and wouldn't expect anything else. I can assure you a nice thank you note, flowers, a bottle of wine or if you know their favorite drink, a bottle of that, anything, will show your appreciation. I know it always makes me feel good when a cliant says thanks in some little way. I do not expect it, but I certainly love it.

Madhouseinc; I would suggest you talk to someone when you get on board about either a bottle of wine in their cabin or a certificate to the specialty dining room. Just a suggestion. NMnita

I agree with newmexiconita.........as far as booking groups, (of course depending on the cruiseline) you should be able to get a certain amount of cabins free minus the port charges. And some extra on board perks.

As far as compensating your TA......we always give ours a little bonus check because we think she deserves it for all her hard work. We have used the same TA for years now, and she takes care of everything for us.

We also did a wedding cruise (our son) and let me tell you, those are probabley one of the cruises she worked the hardest on for us. If you ever planned a wedding, you know what I'm talking about.....now add a cruise along with it.....(trying to collect eveyones money, making sure everyone has their paperwork in order, etc.....let's just say she received a well deserved bonus.

And no, she does not expect anything.

I agree with newmexiconita.........as far as booking groups, (of course depending on the cruiseline) you should be able to get a certain amount of cabins free minus the port charges. And some extra on board perks.

As far as compensating your TA......we always give ours a little bonus check because we think she deserves it for all her hard work. We have used the same TA for years now, and she takes care of everything for us.

We also did a wedding cruise (our son) and let me tell you, those are probabley one of the cruises she worked the hardest on for us. If you ever planned a wedding, you know what I'm talking about.....now add a cruise along with it.....(trying to collect eveyones money, making sure everyone has their paperwork in order, etc.....let's just say she received a well deserved bonus.

And no, she does not expect anything.

you are a good cliant and you have a good TA. Our granddaughter did the wedding thing last Dec. Her mom didn't have a good TA so mommy had to do all the work; the TA just took care of the cabins. Who was the TA? Me!!!!! LOL actually DD wanted to do everything. Nita

Great question!! I just spent half the day on the phone with our travel agent today, finalizing all the arrangements for our group cruise!! She really worked her butt off for us and i want to send her something also.

She is in another state, but I thought about sending flowers or some yankee candles...thinking those may be nice for the office?

Jessica

Great question!! I just spent half the day on the phone with our travel agent today, finalizing all the arrangements for our group cruise!! She really worked her butt off for us and i want to send her something also.

She is in another state, but I thought about sending flowers or some yankee candles...thinking those may be nice for the office?

Jessica

My favorite gift from clients is a little souvenir from the trip- a tiny bottle of Tequila from Mexico, a small glass whale from Alaska, a little Rasta doll from Jamaica. We display them on a shelf in the office & eveyone enjoys looking at it.

After working beside travel agents for a couple of years (they were all ladies), a nice little extra for them was always flower delivery (they really did LOVE that) and bringing them back something special from your trip. They all had the gifts proudly displayed at their desks. Those things really meant a lot to them.

My favorite gift from clients is a little souvenir from the trip- a tiny bottle of Tequila from Mexico, a small glass whale from Alaska, a little Rasta doll from Jamaica. We display them on a shelf in the office & eveyone enjoys looking at it.

never thought about displaying those little treasures, but you are right, they are the favorites. I think I shall start doing that as well.

Nita

Archived