British v US tastes

crowie

I am British and currently on Sapphire Princess

Have been on Sun ,Diamond, Royal and Island

Theres little difference on any of the ships in entertainment or food

Personally I prefer the buffets etc on USA cruise ships to UK lines

the entertainment is mixed on Princess and usually inckludes something to suit everyone but you will not get the concerts etc that you will get on P and O and you will not get spotted dick for dessert either

Yank that I am, it was years before I realized "Spotted Dick" didn't refer to a venereal disease.:D

Just heard that a new ship, the "Priscilla Princess ", will be added to the fleet in time for Pacific itineraries during the summer 2007 season.

Some of the purported features include:

• Anytime BBQs
  • Special formal wear requirements ... khaki will be the 'cloth de rigeur'
  • Tennis Courts will be replaced by cricket pitches
  • Carry on luggage will be extended to include eskys
  • Sheilas will be confined to one bar ... the blokes, the rest
  • Nightly entertainment will be shared by 'The Wiggles' and 'Rolf Harris'
  • Regular sports contests, such as 'crow calling', 'thong throwing' and 'croc wrestling' in the ship's pool, will be held
  • The bars will only have limited hours of operation ... 5.00am till 4.00am
  • Breakfast will be served promptly at 11.00am ... to allow plenty of time to sober up
  • Poms & Yanks welcome on board ... yeah, right!

:D Too right, mate! (How Aussie is that for ya?) Excellent post. Funniest post I have read in a long time.

After reading this topic, we may just consider this ship now. My favorite channel is BBC America and virtually anything British. I download Corrie from a friend in Canada, watch EastEnders faithfully and thought One Foot in the Grave was hysterically funny. Would have loved to see Victor on a cruise. I love the dry wit of the British, but they can be just as slapstick, if not more, than we Americans with their shows (Monty Python and some silly walks anyone?). I watched an Aussie soap, Neighbours, for a while, but my American channel cancelled it eons ago. :mad:

The only drawback is we will have to invest in some formal wear to fit in with a more elegant crowd. DH loves Bermuda shorts, but I have a feeling that is only considered formal in Bermuda. ;)

Hi There Folks,

It is a good thing we are all different, I am sorry to say that I do enjoy American bashing but you ask for it, To cruise to Tobago and get the guy at the table next me saying

" that the best thing on the island is the KFC can not stand that local muck",

makes me think he should of stayed on the main land.

I want to go to different parts of the world and try different foods I might not like them but I would like the chance to try them, but if I was to travel everywhere and just look for US fast food out lets. What would be the point of travelling.

Now if some one could explain the rules of American football to me I might enjoy it more, but one day I will get to the US and will go and see a game live.

It is good that while on the Sea Princess there was football and American football being shown.

yours Shogun

Now, now. Most Brits are delightful, and are as varied and different as Americans. I was rather uncomfortable once, when a very British lady "from the country" as she said, expressed dismay and disgust at the amount of food served in the dining room. "Do you people eat meat every day? Not really! Why that's just disgusting! We only have meat twice a week at home, and never at lunch. No wonder you people are so overweight!" I had to leave quickly to hide my laughter. She was not a thin person.:o

We were on the Tahitian Princess and went for the "Traditional afternoon tea". It was all very posh with lots of savoury nibbles and beautiful cakes but I turned them down and waited for the scones with jam and cream. What a disappointment - hard little biscuits, not a fluffy English scone that I was expecting.

We are really looking forward to our cruise on the Sea in mid-February 2007, especially after reading this thread. We were aware that there would be a large proportion of British passengers, and reading this makes us feel it'll make our cruise much more interesting.

You'll also notice that there are no cabins numbered "13" either.

Wot's that penguin doing on the tellie?

I never noticed 13 in regards to cabin numbers.

I never saw the penguin on TV, that was someone else that mentioned that. I was referring to seeing your animated gif. :cool:

We were on the Tahitian Princess and went for the "Traditional afternoon tea". It was all very posh with lots of savoury nibbles and beautiful cakes but I turned them down and waited for the scones with jam and cream. What a disappointment - hard little biscuits, not a fluffy English scone that I was expecting.

I know exactly what you mean . . . I'm an Aussie living in the States and have been looking for a real scone for 30 years . . . ;)

I do like the American version but they are more like the texture of "rock cakes" (at least I think that's what they were called--the ones with the sultanas). Definitely not the scones I grew up with.

On the Crown Princess we had the same version as you did on the Tahitian.

When I visit Australia scones are always on my list of "must eats" . . . :)

We will be sailing on the Sea Princess in December too, and now I really can't wait! I love Brits and was hoping there would be lots of them aboard our sailing. I'm hoping there will be a few teens too, my son will be with us and with school still being in session in Canada and the US during our sailing, there probably won't be as many younger people as there might be otherwise.

This also may explain why our roll call is so small compared to some of the others (fewer folks from the UK on this board).

ok, I have to ask......what kind of dessert is this?:confused:

Marvellous name for a dessert isn't it! Its a steamed pudding made in a cloth bag with currents in it. Or thats what it was when I was a child in the UK. We had it with custard.

We sailed on the Sea Princess in July 06 14 day Med.

Yes the tea is bad and yes i am a brit, But a wise Brit who sailed on the Golden Princess 05.

The tea was rough on there as well.

So being the wise old brit i am...We took our own teabags with us:D

Problem solved ...have fun

By the way take the teabags out of the box takes up less room......

I really enjoyed reading this discussion since I'm a "hybrid" of an American GI and a London girl who married during WWII. I can appreciate good English tea and American football.

Pam in MA - British bacon is not "ham". It is much better - the texture of a ham slice with the taste of good American bacon.:)

Speaking of British tastes.... I just heard today that David Hasslehoff's single "Jump in My Car" is number 3 on the charts in England. Have you all lost your bloody minds?? :)
Reminds me of the time I landed in Sydney, to be greeted by a profuse apology for the fact that Billy Ray Cyrus' Achey Breaky Heart was number 2 there.

We returned from a Sea Princess cruise barely two weeks ago, and had also sailed on Regal Princess in March this year. These two cruises have been our only Princess cruises and the ships contrasted greatly.

We noticed many differences between the two, and it appeared to us that SEA caters for a more international group of passengers. On this Setember one, no less than 3 charter flights, totalling approx 800 Brits joined in Quebec. We noticed the differences especially in the food, just as others have already mentioned, and although we dont much join in the entertainment, we know that the entertainment is also more broadly based. The trivia quiz is a perfect example. On Sea (where it is held beside the atrium) any time we passed through there, we heard questions which were not particularly specific to any one nation, being more general. On Regal, they were specifically aimed at Americans, even including (on one memorable occasion) a question on a particular Florida law, which even brought protests from US (but not Fl) residents.

We enjoyed the more international "feel" of Sea. In addition to approx 800 Brits, because it was Quebec to NYC, there was also a fairly large contingent of Canadians, a group of 50 Germans, and a sprinkling of other nationalities. It made for interesting conversations at dinner and we met lots of different people. And we enjoyed the variety of food more than that of Regal. The desserts on Regal we thought pretty awful...they were mostly the consistency of jello, sponge or cake. Those on Sea were more varied.

Archived