Christmas / Holiday cruises

PrincessYoga

This is the first year the New Noordam will be doing a Christmas/Holiday sailing (as she's so new). I am on this year's inagural Christmas/Holiday sailing and will be sure to post a review once I'm back. I do not intend on posting while on the ship. This trip is my escape from the world at home :o

There are others, however, who have sailed this time of year on the other HAL ships. Maybe they can answer your questions.

We will be on the Rotterdam this Christmas and New Years. We will be in South America/Antarctica. I can hardly wait to see the ship decorated. I will let you know how everything was when we return but I just know it will be WONDERFUL!!! Marian

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our 2002-2003 New Year's cruise on the Veendam. The ship was full, the itinerary, food, and service was great.

Personally, I wouldn't enjoy a Christmas cruise, more for personal reasons than anything else. I'm sure if I had children and family around to take along it would be different. Having said that, I think a Christmas cruise with family would be a great time, particularly if you have a close and fun family.

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our 2002-2003 New Year's cruise on the Veendam. The ship was full, the itinerary, food, and service was great.

Personally, I wouldn't enjoy a Christmas cruise, more for personal reasons than anything else. I'm sure if I had children and family around to take along it would be different. Having said that, I think a Christmas cruise with family would be a great time, particularly if you have a close and fun family.

I am new but saw your post. My family and I are going to be on that cruise ship DEc 16th - 23rd sailing out of Tampa Fl and are really looking forward to it. Our first cruise. I am so glad you enjoyed your trip. We are going to the Carribbean.

Is any planning a Christmas 2007 cruise on HAL? My family has talked about doing one. I can't wait after our amazing Noordam voyage in June.

Has anyone ever done a HAL cruise during this time of year?

I'm booked on the Noordam for next Christmas (Dec 22/07) on the 14 day cruise. Can't wait! :cool:

Is any planning a Christmas 2007 cruise on HAL? My family has talked about doing one. I can't wait after our amazing Noordam voyage in June.

Has anyone ever done a HAL cruise during this time of year?

I have done several HAL Christmas/New Year's cruises on several different HAL ships - anywhere from The Caribbean to Australia/New Zealand to San Diego/Hawaii/San Diego and have enjoyed every one of them.

It is not like having a family Christmas back home, but then I don't have a family back home any more. However, the ships are beautifully decorated and on Christmas Eve, if you can stay up late enough (it starts at 11:00 pm), there is a particularly lovely event in the main showroom where members of the crew, cast and ship's officers present Christmas Carols from their homelands - it's a truly lovely introduction to Christmas Day. On Christmas Day there is great excitement aboard the ship when the Cruise Director and his/her staff start the countdown to the arrival of Santa Claus for the young children aboard. A lot of us "older children" really get into the spirit also and Santa shows up with presents for all the little kiddies.

On New Year's Eve the excitment really begins for the adults with a special dinner leading up to the dancing in the main showroom, complete with party favors and at midnight a glass of champagne to welcome in the New Year. They often show the festivities in New York on a large screen T.V. in the main showroom and everybody takes part in the countdown.

You should have a lot of fun, the only caveat I have (and this is from the experience of several cruises and also from comments from fellow passengers) is that if you are expecting the traditional Turkey Dinner on Christmas Day then just know that your turkey is going to be a rolled turkey breast - other than that the dinner is just fine.

If you are seriously thinking about it then I would say "go for it", you should have a great time.

Valerie:)

I have done several HAL Christmas/New Year's cruises on several different HAL ships - anywhere from The Caribbean to Australia/New Zealand to San Diego/Hawaii/San Diego and have enjoyed every one of them.

It is not like having a family Christmas back home, but then I don't have a family back home any more. However, the ships are beautifully decorated and on Christmas Eve, if you can stay up late enough (it starts at 11:00 pm), there is a particularly lovely event in the main showroom where members of the crew, cast and ship's officers present Christmas Carols from their homelands - it's a truly lovely introduction to Christmas Day. On Christmas Day there is great excitement aboard the ship when the Cruise Director and his/her staff start the countdown to the arrival of Santa Claus for the young children aboard. A lot of us "older children" really get into the spirit also and Santa shows up with presents for all the little kiddies. Valerie:)

I have not yet sailed over the holidays but know of many who do not believe in Christmas, who do. I had the impression that cruise ships downplayed the day because so many passengers preferred it that way. Maybe some of them do.

I have not yet sailed over the holidays but know of many who do not believe in Christmas, who do. I had the impression that cruise ships downplayed the day because so many passengers preferred it that way. Maybe some of them do.

Downplayed? No way. Our family of four was on the Ryndam Christmas '04 and had a wonderful time. Decorations, Santa Claus and his elves arrived on the top deck, and there were gifts and festivities. It was lovely to see all the families and children aboard. There are lots of nooks and quiet places on the ships just in case anyone wants to "downplay".

Other cruise lines seem to celebrate holidays in a big way, too.

We're sailing on the Oosterdam Oct. 28. s o o n!!!!!!

Bev

I went over Christmas last year with my DD and it was the best holiday of my life. This year DD (who is 28) and I are doing a 10 over Christmas and NYE and are so very excited.

We have actually talked about doing the Noordam in 2007 for the Holidays which would give us a couple of days in NYC with all its finery for the Holidays to boot.

I feel less pressured to make sure everyone else has a great holiday because HAL sure can give a better party than I can....I get all my Holiday stuff done early so that I can enjoy the days up until my cruise. It makes me more focused, it brings me give dreaming time, and it is wonderful to experience different cultures, ports, and wonderful fellow travelers during the holiday times.

Linda

Thanks everyone for answering. For those of you that our booked on the Noordam. She is a amazing ship with crew that this second to none. Any questions you have about her just ask.. I am looking forward to reading everyone reports when they come back.

I will show this to my mother who is a member on here as well. I definitely want to do it but it depends on what the rest of the family say. It was good to hear about the kids' stuff as well. We will be travelling with 2 children. They enjoyed Club HAL on the trip in June. We just had one minor concern of letting kids go unsupervised on a scavenger hunt. We would have never known until my mother ran into my wee cousin (age 11) coming off the lift with 2 other children... Her parents and I had left the ship. The children are veteran crusiers though.

My mother was hoping for somewhere other than the Carribean because other the my dh and I they have all been a few times. So it looks like South America/ Antartica (I love that), Hawaii (my Dad lives there so I could meet him in Hilo for the day and it leaves from San Diego so my family only my dh and I would need flights from Ireland ) or Australia I think. What was Antartica like?

My Mother and aunt want to go because, like you LHC, it takes the pressure off. Also you can combine a holiday with family time. We are all hooked on cruising now. My mother is talking about making it the Christmas present for my DH, sister and I. Hint..Hint...Mother :D

Cheers

Downplayed? No way. Our family of four was on the Ryndam Christmas '04 and had a wonderful time. Decorations, Santa Claus and his elves arrived on the top deck, and there were gifts and festivities. It was lovely to see all the families and children aboard. There are lots of nooks and quiet places on the ships just in case anyone wants to "downplay".

Other cruise lines seem to celebrate holidays in a big way, too.

We're sailing on the Oosterdam Oct. 28. s o o n!!!!!!

Bev

I still believe in Santa Claus so this is good news for me.

Archived