Suggestions for a lightweight stroller?

Guest Time2gocruzn

Guest Time2gocruzn

I am definately taking a stroller on our cruise. I do not want to take our umbrella stroller because mine doesn't have an sun shade and doesn't recline. If it doesn't keep them out of the sun and they can't nap in it, what's the point? LOL! Plus, I do have a larger, very nice stroller, but I think it is too big to take w/ us. It is pretty bulky and heavy. So anyway, what I am looking for is a nice lightweight stroller, with a sunshade, basket, and that reclines. Oh and of course, I don't want to pay a lot for it. My kids will be 4 and almost 2 and this will primarily be for the younger one. We need it for the airport, shore excursions, and possibly on the ship. I saw a nice lightweight one on the Walmart site for approx $40, but it is available only online. Hard for me to buy it unless I have more info on it. Any suggestions? I know Carnival rents them, but not real interested in doing that. Thanks in advance!

We just got off a 3 day on the Fantasy with our 1 year old daughter. We took our "Graco LiteRider" with us and it worked out great! I think it only weighs about 14 lbs and reclines almost completely. After dinner we took her back to the cabin 2 of the 3 nights and got her ready for bed...than went back out to do whatever. (The first night, we just went back to the cabin after dinner) She slept great in it for some of her naps and sometimes while we were out exploring the ship both during the day and at night. I did cover the stroller, over the canopy, with a blanket to help her sleep and keep the light out.

Bottom line...I definitely recommend a stroller that reclines...they're hard to find in the lightweight, lesser price category.

Any other questions...email me at cgage61299@aol.com

Good Luck!

Carrie

I'm also looking for a stroller for our upcoming cruise with our 13 month old. I found the Chicco Caddy umbrella stroller. It is less than 11 pounds, has a sunshade, reclines (not completely down), and easily folds up. It was $50 bucks. We are getting it for her. The only small problem is that it's a bit short for my DH, but he 6'3". It's at Target, also on Target.com.

I recently bought the Chicco Tuscany. It folds like an umbrella stroller, has 5 position recline, a great sunshade, weighs 14 lbs (I think) and has a basket that will hold 11 lbs. The salesman at BRU, said NOT to buy a Combi cause it will break within 2 weeks of use. I looked at the Chicco caddy, but I didn't like the recline on it. Also a plus on the Tuscany is a 5 point harness, my DD tries to climb out of our cheap umbrella stroller with only a 3 point harness. The sunshad on the Tuscany is far superior to the Caddy too. It was $79 at BRU, but we decided it was worth it. We plan to use it for every day.

I really wanted a stroller that folds umbrella style, since they take up less space on busses. I can steer the Tuscany with 1 hand too. The folding mechanism on the Tuscany was difficult at first, but once the salesman showed me how to fold it, I can do it with 1 hand, while holding DD in the other.

It took me multiple trips to stores to finally decide on the Tuscany.

We own the Chicco caddy for our 1 year old daughter and it works great. It doesn't recline far back, but at her age, she hates to be too far back even when she's sleeping. It's got the 5 point harness otherwise she would try to crawl out as well. It would be nice to have a basket, but as long as she is in the seat (to balance the weight) we can hang her diaper bag strap over the two handles and it works great. My husband is 6'5" and the handles are too short for him - we are thinking of some homemade fixes to see what might work to fix that?!? Our Chico caddy came with the rain cover and carrying case and has the carrying strap that makes it easy when you're on the go. We used it in the Boston subway system last month and it worked great (although I had to be careful no one was standing too close behind me or I'd whack them). We paid about $40 from Kmart.com including tax and shipping. (Originally saw it at target.com but it was sold out online and in the store locally).

blndee77-sounds like your daughter is like ours! The ONLY place she sleeps is in her carseat or a crib/pack n play. She has yet (10 months) to fall asleep while we were out and about. I like to give DH a hard time and tell him she's too much like him-nibby! She very much dislikes being laid back at any time.

At onestepahead.com they have an extender that attaches to umbrella strollers to make them taller. If it doesn't work you can send it back at any time. I love one step ahead.

I'm having a hard time finding the Chicco caddy in stock anywhere. I'll try KMart.com and see if I have any luck.

The one I have is about 14 lbs, but it's a 2000 model (6400 series). I think Combi makes different models now (and more expensive). I bought it for $40 from Babycenter.com in 2000. If you can find this older model, it works great after 4 years!!!!

It has a big basket and it reclines fully. It has a big canopy. The one I have only has a 3-pt harness.

You can also get a Graco Literider at Target for less than what you would get at BabiesRUs.

HTH.

Jennifer

I just bought one in Walmart for $25 for my 2 year old. She's a big girl (33 pounds or so and quite tall) and she fits in there pretty well. The weight limit on the stroller is 40 lbs. It is made by Cosco, has a sunshade, cup holder for child, and one up top for parents, and a ncie basket underneath. It folds up pretty compact.

Guest Time2gocruzn

Well I got my new stroller today! YAY!!!

I went to BRU, and looked at the chicco travel savvy. I thought it looked like a doll stroller, but was very compact and loved the carring strap. I thought is was too small for my boys. They are both very tall. Plus the weight limit was only 35 lbs. My kids weigh 37 lbs and 23 lbs. So didn't get this one.

I checked out the Combi Tuscany. I LOVED this stroller, however, no tray or bar in the front. My little one bends over forward and tries to touch the ground if there is no tray. I really liked this one though, the weight limit was much higher, and the tray on my current stroller would work on it (sort of) so I put it in the cart.

Well, guess what I found on clearance, right around the corner? A Peg Perrego stroller. It was on clearance for $110, reg price $269!!! IN THE BOX!! It weighs 13 lbs, and a foot bar on the back for my older one to ride on, reclines, has a 45 lb weight limit and folds compact like an umbrella stroller. It has a nice comfy wide, highback seat, and even my 3yo can nap in it if he wants. PERFECT for what I was looking for!! A little more than I planned on spending, but I couldn't pass it up!

I just couldn't justify spending $$ on a stroller that probably neither one of them can use a year from now, when I could spend $30 more and get this stroller! I can actually use this as an everyday stroller, where the other ones, I probably would have never used, other than vacation. We are all set! Thanks all for the advice! :D

Guest Time2gocruzn

Wanted to edit to add, the strollers I looked at were the Combi Travel Savvy, and the Chicco Tuscany. I mixed up the brand names in my previous post.:rolleyes:

Sounds like you got a good deal on thr Peg Perrego. They are supposed to be very good. I didn't look at them because of the price. Sounds like a bonus with the rider in the back. Good shopping!!

FYI, DD tries to bend forward too, but with the 5 point harness on the Tuscany, she can't.

Comment 1: Some ships have strollers that you can "borrow" for the week. You just leave a deposit, and it's yours on and off the ship. Of course, that wouldn't help you at the airport.

Comment 2: I have to disagree strongly with the person who suggested the Graco LiteRider. I had one, and it was one of the worst pieces of baby equipment I ever owned. It was beautiful in the store, I liked the mid-section folding style, and I loved the big storage basket underneath, but in terms of quality . . . it was a piece of junk!

First you must understand that I live in the deep South and my daughter was born mid-summer. After its first use I left the stroller in the trunk of my van (doesn't everyone?), and the lightweight wheels WARPED! I had only one good use out of that stroller. After that, the wheels were constantly in a state of flux: some days they were badly out of shape, other days they were almost right. The odd wheels were bad enough that other people commented on them. I called Graco, and they offered to SELL me new replacement wheels -- like I'd want another set of junk wheels? So much for customer service. I was really upset because that mid-priced stroller was a big splurge for me back in those days and replacing it just wasn't an option!

In their defense, I had one of the very first LiteRider products. I hope they've improved their lightweight wheels since then, but I honestly wouldn't spend money on their products again.

I took my kidlet on two cruises and used a Safeline 5 in 1. This works as a front facing carseat, rear facing carseat, FAA approved seat on planes, stroller and booster seat. It's not cheap but you get ALOT of use from it. Try One Step Ahead catalog for it.

Terry Anne

After reading MrsPete's post...I went out to the garage to check out the wheels on my stroller and realized it is a MetroLite and not a LiteRider. I live in Florida by the way and my wheels are fine.

I guess it's possible that MrsPete's may have been defective...I do understand her frustration though!

DJKLOVE...By the way...what model of Peg Prego stroller did you get on sale???

Check out the new Chicco Tuscany at Babies R Us. I'm in love with it! Perfect for travel. It is very similar to (but even better than) the much pricier Maclaren Triumph. Fantastic recline, large basket, easy to fold, shade canopy that actually works, window in canopy, rain/weather shield included, and the handles are comfortable for both short and tall parents. Note that the weight limit on listed on the BRU website and in stores is incorrect. It actually accomodates kids up to 37 pounds, not 33 pounds.

:) Carolyn

Guest Time2gocruzn

CGAGE: It was a Pliko. Not the fanciest of all their models, but perfect for us. It just has a bar in front, but I looked on their website and since it is the newer model that the bar is removable, I can buy a snack tray for it. YAY!

Archived