Need road map of St. Martin

monicajay

I have decided to rent a jeep from Arthur's for our cruise in March. I have read many threads and am familliar with the pros and cons of self-driving in St. Martin. The biggest problem seems to be with people getting lost and not being familiar with the signs.

I would like to find a good (to scale) road map of the island before leaving. I think this will help make this a more enjoyable adventure. I have rented on many occasions in Mexico, in Jamaica, in Barbados and scooters in Bermuda. I have also driven in Europe for 4 weeks. I drive daily in Montreal (known to be one of the craziest cities) and as long as I know where I am going it is all good.

Does anyone have a suggestion of how I can get a good road map? Everything I have seen on the internet is not detailed enough. I was sure I had read somewhere about Kal sending them out or selling them but can no longer find this thread.

Thanks for any info.

Thanks barflymom (love the name), these are great but I prefere real road maps like we use here in the US. If I have a good scale on the map we never get lost.

Kal, can't figure out how to e-mail you from your web-site. No address and when I click on contacts us I get a pop up that my Mac doesn't like.

Could you e-mail me and I will reply with postal address? Thanks, I really appreciate it.

monicasoule@sympatico.ca

Hey Barflymon!

Saw a detailed road map one day when we stopped in at the Tamerind (sp?) hotel/apartments located near the cruse dock, to check on long-term stay prices. Seems like it was sponsored by a real estate company and was $5 or so. It looked like it had every road and street on it. Do you know what I mean, and where could someone off island get it? After a few trips we seem to be able to find our way around just fine.

However, I do chuckle at those who say "you can't get lost, there is only one road around the island"!! Believe me, there are lots of opportunities to take the wrong road, and be lost (or at least semi-lost). Not always a lot of fun if you are on a tight schedule or when traffic is heavy. We've been in traffic jams and watched cruise ships pulling out - and wondering how many cruise passengers have seen the same!

I bought the "St. Martin/St. Barts by IGN" roadmap for $11.95 from Caribmart.com (http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/islands/sm/smmap.shtml) and it arrived in about a week.

It is very detailed right down to individual buildings. It's a large map though so the perspective of it makes it look like everything is a lot further apart than it really is. We sail next week and are looking forward to our drive around the island (going to go counter clockwise I think)

Hey Guys, I picked up that same map in May 2006 at the Shipwreck Shop. I had searched all over in 2005 and was told Coldwell Banker was in the process of printing an update. Maybe they just made another run of the 2003 vintage.

I could put this baby up for bid and maybe get enuf coins to pay for an allotment of Carib, shooters, BBCs, and French wine for a day. :D

Yes the referenced maps are quite good, but even with a GOOD MAP, you will encounter some problems because nearly all the roads DO NOT HAVE SIGNS to correspond with road name on the map!!! Many of those "roads" shown on the map are only a dirt driveway. Alot of times we made our decision which way to go/turn based on an advertising sign or directional sign for a hotel or restaurant or something else that may be posted at an intersection. [We have been there 5-6 times on cruises and stayed there twice for a week each time & drove all over that island.]

Another big problem for you in driving around the island is the TRAFFIC. For example going counter-clockwise you have to cross Cole Bay Hill (1 2-lane road only) and at certain hours of the day it can be bumper to bumper & SLOW!!! There are several roundabouts & you must know how far around it you want to go!!! Then at the bottom is a T intersection where you either turn left toward airport & Maho OR turn right to go to Marigot -- the intersection operates GENERALLY like a 3 way stop but alot sneak through with car in front, so BE CAREFUL not to get in a fender-bender!!! Then too there is a "horn code" where 1 honk means 1 thing & 2 honks mean another & that's how all the cars signal each other......

Thanks everybody as I am the OP, Kal I will be sending you the self adderessed envelope soon. The detailed Caldwell map looks great. Maybe with time I will find one. In my experience which includes much of Europe and all of North America even if there are no signs or road names posted, if I can tell my DH to turn left in 1/2 of a mile, we are able to figure out anything.

Funny how some places it is easy to buy a good map.

I didn't get lost once in Barbados, Bermuda, Riviera Maya in Mexico, Cuba (yes, I am Canadian) and Jamaica but I always arrived with a GOOD map.

Thanks to all,

Archived