Alaskan Lodge???

scitchr

We will be on an Alaskan cruisetour in July, 2007. We are not set on which land tour we want. Which Princess lodge/destination warrants more time if one had to choose - McKinley or Denali. We want to spend a few nights at one of the two and are not sure. Thanks to all on this board!

We will be on an Alaskan cruisetour in July, 2007. We are not set on which land tour we want. Which Princess lodge/destination warrants more time if one had to choose - McKinley or Denali. We want to spend a few nights at one of the two and are not sure. Thanks to all on this board!
IMHO, definitely McKinley.

Depending on what excursions/tours that you are interested in, choose from there. If you are interested in Denali National Park, which we loved, you'll need at least two nights in Denali. Make sure, however, that you do NOT take the Natural History Tour-major waste of time and $$.

We did the Tundra Wilderness Tour and it was great! Next time we go, we would go independent and take the shuttle into the Park and also not stay at the Denali Wilderness Lodge-it was a glorified motel with timber exteriors.

I have a review on the Alaskan Board of our recent Island Princess Cruise.

Hope that is helpful!

Eileen

In my opinion, ditto on McKinley!! The scenery at all lodges was beautiful, but I thought at the McKinley lodge it was breathtaking! Have a wonderful trip! (Oh and if you want another tidbit--take a helicopter tour and make sure you bring ALOT of film!!!):) I went through three rolls at McKinley alone!!

In my opinion, ditto on McKinley!! The scenery at all lodges was beautiful, but I thought at the McKinley lodge it was breathtaking! Have a wonderful trip! (Oh and if you want another tidbit--take a helicopter tour and make sure you bring ALOT of film!!!):) I went through three rolls at McKinley alone!!

I agree that the McKinley lodge wins hands down. Much nicer than Denali.

Hey...with the advent of the Digital camera, who uses film these days?? ;)

We stayed two nights at McKinley and one night at Denali this past May. We were in the new sections at both lodges. We didn't dislike our night at Denali (actually our room was probably larger there), but we agreed that the overall lodge experience was best at McKinley. We really enjoyed the feeling of being in the wilderness at McKinley - it was just so peaceful and beautiful there.

Ask 10 People and you'll get 10 different responses!

We have been to Denali Lodge twice and McKinley Lodge once, both locations are excellent.

My wife and I are active and we enjoy the River Location and nearby activities of Denali better than McKinley. The Wilderness Tour will orientate you to Denali and then you can choose what activities you like the best.

We enjoyed the area of Denali for hiking and the Wildlife, we watched 3 Moose nightly on the Deck of the lodge after day excursions.

Just Another Opinion!

The double decker Princess train is really cool. I haven't been on it since 1996- so don't know if this still applies but I have two suggestions.

First, snag a seat on the top part of the train that has the glass dome. Also, the meals on board are very good. I had the "fruit of the forest" pie- which is to die for. Try it warm with ice cream. Eat two! It was wonderful. Best dessert I have ever had.

Also, I smoked back then and the only place you can smoke is outside at the back of the train. It was great. I met the cook and some of the train crew out there. Got alot of cool info on Alaska from them. Plus, there is nothing more scenic than the view of the Alaska countryside from outside on the train. Even if you don't smoke- its a good hangout.

If I had to choose one place to visit- it would be Fairbanks. Not touristy. Good gold digging panning land excursion, complete with a ride through a mine shaft (ok- this part is touristy). The flowers in summer are the size of cabbages. The sun sets for two hours but it is never truly dark- looks like dusk. Really a great experience.

The double decker Princess train is really cool. I haven't been on it since 1996- so don't know if this still applies but I have two suggestions.

First, snag a seat on the top part of the train that has the glass dome.

All seating on the train is pre-assigned!

Archived