How common is motion sickness

I'm not sure how prevalent seasickness is. On 10 cruises, and a couple of them were particularly rough, we have never been sick, nor have we seen anyone else get sick. On our Explorer of the Seas trip in late August, there were very rough waters when we were outside the Carolinas. My sons, age 11 and 8 complained of stomach aches....but did not get sick. We saw one little "accident" that someone left in the hallway...ewww, but have never seen anyone sick.

The last time I checked, you could get free bonine by asking at the Purser's Desk. The captain will often announce if they are expecting high seas...that is a clue to get the free stuff right away if you are prone to motion sickness. We have cruised through the residuals of two hurricanes and have never needed it - knock on wood.

Another clue: Watch for the (empty) barf bags distributed on all the stairway railings... :)

LL

Yes, they have meclizine (generic bonine) in little 2 packs for free. I have found them in a small bowl on the pursers counter free for the taking prior to departure. Once I had to ask because they were on the other side and I didn't want to reach over without asking.

Ginger works. Bought some at the health food store. I had four days of rocky seas and felt so nauseous and it really helped. Then last month it was needed for rocky Pacific seas coming south from Alaska. The person I traveled with was really ready to lose it. I told her to give it a try. She kind of snickered but gave it a try. It worked and even a crew member from Jamaica recommended it to her. Now she is sold on it.

It's weird, I get carsick if i'am reading but i'am fine drving the car also don't get sick if i'am drving my big truck, must be all the bouncing around.

Its not the bouncing, it has to do with your inner ear and seeing the motion. When you are driving you are much more focused on the road in front not the side motion. That is why the back seat is worse for motion sickness, also the ship is better because when you are out to sea there is not land streaking by like a car or roller coaster.

happy ks, I noramlly would have agreed with you on the "once you feel sick it is too late theory" found that to be the case most of my life. However, I have recently discovered that for me, Bonine will fix things if I am not too far gone. This may be an individual thing as all meds affect people differently. It is a risk to try that. Motion sickness changes through your life too. I find I am more sensitive to it than when I was a kid and it was temporarily MUCH worse when I was pregnant:eek:

I get motion sickness very easily---have to close my eyes in the carwash!!! One cruise I went w/o the patch and used the Relief Band--all was well as we were 2 days in one port--not much motion. Then one day we hit a storm--near the Puerto Rican Trench---this lasted 14 hours. We were late back into port. I have never been more sick in my life. I vomited the Bonine. Too late. Husband found me on floor in bathroom. Doctor and Nurse visted the cabin and gave me a shot--it stopped the vomiting--but knocked me for a loop for about 48 hours. Many people were sick--you could oppen the cabin door and hear it in the hallway. Vomit bags all over (husband went for a look). Dinner was pretty much deserted.

I swear by the patch. Works best for me.

Archived