The Part I Hate About Cruising

osiebosie

I hate the hassle of flying to the port city. We started cruising shortly after 9/11, but it's even worse now with the constantly changing rules at the airports. Last year was the best with a direct flight to Houston--no layover or changing planes. The worst was the flights to and from England last June, but at least it was not later when the London airports were threatened.

I also hate coming back to REALITY. Cooking, cleaning, laundry, self-service :(

As far as our dog goes--we go away almost every weekend to our lake house, so he's used to seeing one suitcase and it takes him a while to realize we are taking more. He stays with our son, who is sort of dog-starved now that he has been on his own for several years. Brian gives him lots of love and attention and we have no qualms about leaving our "baby", who just turned 13.

He is, however, our last dog. We can travel more now and don't want to worry about who will care for the dog if Brian is not available and we don't EVER want to go through the puppy mess again. Our other three sons have dogs (two have 2 and one also has cats) and our daughter has moved 3 1/2 hrs. away and would not be a good candidate. My sister-in-law has kept the dog when Brian was with us in FL, but I hate to impose on her. My childhood dog had a very bad experience with a kennel stay in '62 and I'm still turned off totally to the idea even after all these years.

But when all is said and done, the positive aspects of cruising far outweigh the negative. We are counting the days till our next cruise in Jan.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 days in London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera

Your LAST dog, Kathie? That's so sad! I'd MUCH sooner go without travelling than go without a dog. I only travel at most a few weeks a year, but the dog makes all the other weeks so much more enjoyable (tolerable). And if the puppy mess is a big reason, don't forget you could always adopt an adult dog. That's what I always do. As cute as puppies are, they are very demanding and difficult. Adult dogs are so much easier.

Kathie,

We said that, too. Now we have four pets! All strays or abused rejects.

My marketing director is divorcing her husband, and she just sat right there and told BJ and me that she will never marry again. (This coming from a gorgeous 25 year old!) We just smiled. Never say never...

I don't mind the flying, but the changing rules also get me. I always have a litle twinge when I board a plane, but I cannot do anything about it, and I have to trust that security has done their job. But, once we land, it's vacation time!!!

My dog can epitomize the term "hang dog" look. He breaks my heart just when I leave the house with that look -- aren't you taking me???? He has a house sitter he loves, otherwise it would be really hard to leave on a trip, and like the others mentioned here, he knows when we are going. I call him the most expensive dog I know because we had to buy a condo at our weekend retreat just so he could go along. I say I won't buy another when he goes, because of our age and the fact that it hurts to leave him, but who knows -- when we lost our last one, we only held out 2 months. I have the time to train a puppy -- and I think puppies are the most wonderful things on the planet.

I've enjoyed reading this thread. The cat peeing in the sink made me laugh out loud!

We have a cleaning lady who isn't the world's best but she takes our dog home to her family when we travel. Our dog is now bilingual! :D And she (the dog) is soooo happy to go there that we don't worry a moment when we're gone. Certainly makes up for a cobweb here or there. We're still toying with the idea of another cat, but our cat seems to be happier now that she's an only cat.

Worst part of the trip for us is also flying. Just hate it. It's something to be endured to get to something great. DH has two artificial knees and going through security is an ordeal. I usually find the nearest chair and cool my heels for 15 minutes while they pat him down.

I've enjoyed reading this thread. The cat peeing in the sink made me laugh out loud!

We have a cleaning lady who isn't the world's best but she takes our dog home to her family when we travel. Our dog is now bilingual! :D And she (the dog) is soooo happy to go there that we don't worry a moment when we're gone. Certainly makes up for a cobweb here or there. We're still toying with the idea of another cat, but our cat seems to be happier now that she's an only cat.

Worst part of the trip for us is also flying. Just hate it. It's something to be endured to get to something great. DH has two artificial knees and going through security is an ordeal. I usually find the nearest chair and cool my heels for 15 minutes while they pat him down.

Ruth, you never told me that Mike's bionic! No wonder he's such a special guy...

It is hard leaving loved pets behind, but I feel thankful to get a break from them. I have struggled with finding someone who loves them like I do and have a few suggestions. I ask way before the trip--our December cruise is already taken care of.

A trusted college student loves to stay at our house and get a little money for letting dogs out a few times a day. Leave pizza and Blockbuster gift cards with their check. I tell them no more than 4 people can be there to avoid my house being the party house.

Your groomer might dogsit at their house--your dog gets a trip too!

You can always find a friend who loves animals and needs extra money.

Teenagers can keep the dog at their house with parents' approval.

You can agree to keep a friend's pet and they keep yours when you go.

As a last resort, I pay a neighbor kid to let the dogs out several times a day.

For me a kennel is the last resort. Have not seen any I could bear to leave my babies with.

I'm enjoying reading these posts!

My two are so clingy right now. Especially Katie, cause she's smarter, and she hasn't forgotten that we are leaving. She knows the suitcases are behind closed doors. She rolled in something very stinky the other day. Was that a ploy to keep us home????? Hmmm...

We are leaving in two days, on Sunday. I can't believe it. Time has just flown since we booked the cruise. I guess it shows to the dogs somehow, cause last night Katie, who is a big dog, got right up next to George on the sofa and laid on him. Broadway will miss us, but as long as there's someone to feed her, she'll be fine. My heart is already breaking... :(

Until we are out of the driveway and over to pick up my dd and sil. (And the baby!) :D

Anticipating,

Shay

Archived