Carnival strikes $156m deal...with Bridgetown Port...

cruisingbajan

Hi Guys,

I posted this question her because I am thinking some of you wonderful folks may know the answer as they are very tightlipped about it here in Barbados. I am hoping that some of the Carnival shareholders on here may have the "inside scoop"

Carnival has just struck up a US$78M(BDS$156M) with the Bridgetown Port....no one is giving any details about the deal other than to say that is is mutually beneficial to both parties and it guarantess the Bridgetown Port in excess of 1.2 million cruise passengers within the nx 3 years.

Has anyone hear anything? I am hoping that it will translate into more ships allowing passengers to board from here.

Thanks as usual for all your insight.

I

I am sorry I do not have any information here.... but If Carnival decides to expand into Barbados, it is a GOOD thing!

We loved Barbados - the tour we took (I think it iwas a 4x4 beach break excursion) was a blast! The people were friendly and accomodating.

Catrin

I went to Barbados on Carnival in 2001 - it was a nice place. I recall the port was convenient to the Mount Gay distillery. We also took an island tour.

I have not heard anything about port improvements - however, I do recall some passengers on our cruise - mainly Brits - boarded from there (we were out of San Juan.)

If more cruises originated from Barbados, more southern locations could be reached on a 7 day cruise.

Sorry I haven't heard of anything either, but I'd fly to Barbados for a cruise anyday. My second cruise started there. Do you think they might be expanding it. The last time I was there in '01, they could dock 3 ships I believe. Is the Tiami Catamaran cruises still there?

Thanks for all your responses guys. Maybe everything will be revealed in good time i.e. by Carnival/Bridgetown Port's timetable.

crusinbuddy: yes, some improvements are planned and are currently being worked on, they are hoping to be able to accomodate ALOT more than 3 ships when it is completed. The catamaran no longer docks there but it is not very far away. You can actually walk form the cruise terminal to the Catamaran

salty dingo: I do hope it augurs well for Barbados in terms of more cruises. Maybe the issues I have been seeing on here with the major hub for Southern Caribbean cruises maybe a contributing factor.

Time will tell I guess....

Thanks again guys

Hi Guys,

I posted this question her because I am thinking some of you wonderful folks may know the answer as they are very tightlipped about it here in Barbados. I am hoping that some of the Carnival shareholders on here may have the "inside scoop"

Carnival has just struck up a US$78M(BDS$156M) with the Bridgetown Port....no one is giving any details about the deal other than to say that is is mutually beneficial to both parties and it guarantess the Bridgetown Port in excess of 1.2 million cruise passengers within the nx 3 years.

Has anyone hear anything? I am hoping that it will translate into more ships allowing passengers to board from here.

Thanks as usual for all your insight.

I

More than likely Carnival Corporation is putting some money upfront for port improvements. I believe that some of Carnival's Europeon cruise lines use Barbados as a point of embarkation for the fly and cruise packages for P&O and Ocean Village from the UK. Could be Carnival will be adding more ships to this deal thus bringing in more passengers.

We sailed The Legend to Barbados and loved it. I thought that with the new itinerary (St. Maarten, St. Kitts and St. Lucia) that Barbados had fallen to the wayside.

This is great news.

We were on the same cruise with Campdaan and we also loved Barbados It's great news if it is true, we would loved to go back.

I was reading a new Princess brochure and noticed they were going to homeport for a season one of their ships in Barbados. Carnival Corp. would still need another 2-3 ships a week to get to 1.2 million port visitors in 3 years.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

If Carnival is planning to expand its usage of the Barbados port, then they must plan to also add other ships that go to Barbados. They would not spent that money just for the Destiny and the Crown Princess. I hope that means that they are going to start sending more Carnival class ships to Barbados. That would eliminate the need to continue to suffer the Destiny just to get to Barbados.

How wonderful and how wonderful for the citizens of Barbados. I loved Barbados. Bestest beaches.

I was reading a new Princess brochure and noticed they were going to homeport for a season one of their ships in Barbados. Carnival Corp. would still need another 2-3 ships a week to get to 1.2 million port visitors in 3 years.

That would be great, we really need some options other than Destiny, as a now addicted cruiser looking to save money on airfare, I would really like to experience some other ships.

Cruisingator could be right as well....right now the Ocean Village does sail from here seasonally.

It maybe a combination of both. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Thanks for the link BigDoug....

I would like to point out though that this particular blog to which you have provided the link seems to be VERY politically biased.:eek:

You probably may not be able to tell not being a local but it seems to carry the views of persons who favour a particular political party, so other persons who may read the link and this particular thread should bear that in mine.

Having said that it is still food for thought so thanks for sharing

Archived