Cruise ships - How big is TOO big  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Cruise ships - How big is TOO big

• Cozy with 1500 or less
    • Comfortable with 1500 - 2100
    • Today's average 2500 - 3150
    • Pack'em in 3500 to 4900
    • Sky's the limit over 5000

Just wanted to get other people's views on the size of these new monstrocities that they call cruise ships. I mean c'mon would you want to be in a port when several 3500+ ships try to tender in their cattle? The biggest ship that I've been on was the Destiny, and at 2900+ people, it felt like sardines in a can. Sure, I love a party atmosphere, but what's your opinion? Is there no stopping, I've seen new designs for over 5400+. How money hungry can the cruise lines be? There is a limit on how big you can become before the service falters. Too many vacation spots can't handle that amount of traffic. Cruising is a means to 'escape the ordinary hussle & bussle' - hard to do when you've got thousands to compete with.

Destiny, Triumph, Legend, and Valor are the larger ships I have been on. The only smaller ship I've been on was the Paradise (Fantasy class). I did not feel like a sardine on any ship I've been on, I felt there was plenty of room. The only time it seemed really crowded was when we were in line because people do tend to stand fairly close together when queuing. Personally, I like the larger ships; more deck space, more places to sit, more places to walk. I have heard some people say you aren't a "real cruiser" if you like the larger ships and "true cruisers" only like the smaller "more intimate" ships. I call bullhooey on that. It's all a matter of personal opinion and preference. ie: some prefer chocolate to vanilla, etc... :)

I voted for the 1500-2100.

It seem that about 2000-2500 people are a good number to me. It's large enough that there are enough people around to have fun and find people you enjoy being around, but not so large that there are too many people, or that you overwhelm a port. Even at this size, it seems that there can be too many people to compete with at times or for certain activities.

The smallest I was on was Celebration and I didn't like it. The largest was Voyager of the Seas and I loved it. But, I hate the Conquest class ships. If I had my favorite, for a Carnival ship, it would be Spirit class ships.

For RCCL, I have to say I really liked the Voyager class. Nothing beats that promenade they have.

My most recent experience was with Spirit Class, and that seemed a good size to me, at least in terms of the on-board experience. I wouldn't want to be on a ship much smaller than that in terms of just room to roam around, and I never felt crowded in the least. Many times, the ship felt strangely empty. But there was a line for the buffet once, I've been meaning to email Bob Dickinson about that. :mad:

Just wanted to get other people's views on the size of these new monstrocities that they call cruise ships. I mean c'mon would you want to be in a port when several 3500+ ships try to tender in their cattle? The biggest ship that I've been on was the Destiny, and at 2900+ people, it felt like sardines in a can. Sure, I love a party atmosphere, but what's your opinion? Is there no stopping, I've seen new designs for over 5400+. How money hungry can the cruise lines be? There is a limit on how big you can become before the service falters. Too many vacation spots can't handle that amount of traffic. Cruising is a means to 'escape the ordinary hussle & bussle' - hard to do when you've got thousands to compete with.

It all depends on the passenger to space ratio to me. The Navigator was full on both of my cruises and never felt crowded. On the other hand, the Glory did. It all depends on how many passengers the cruise line is going to place on a ship.

How did you know my full name?

Yes my Daughter?

From Thesaurus.com:

Main Entry: godPart of Speech: nounDefinition: spiritSynonyms: Jehovah, absolute being, all knowing, all powerful, almighty, creator, daemon, deity, demigod, demon, divine being, divinity, father, holiness, holy spirit, idol, infinite spirit, lord, maker, man upstairs, numen, omnipotent, power, prime mover, providence, soul, spirit, totem, tutelary, world spiritSource: Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.3.1)

Copyright © 2006 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

I don't know, Derf, I'm not seeing your name anywhere on the list??? Maybe you are confusing yourself with Someone else????

Derf - I have to know about that pic...is it real?

What fun that would be! Of course I come from the land of 10,000 lakes and 6,000,000 boats. I'll try anything that floats....

When it comes to cruise ships - it's definitely a space issue. I hate lines and crowds. I have found that looking at the staff to passenger ratio is my best bet on picking the right size ship for what I want to do. As long as there is the staff to handle the crowd, the space isn't an issue.

Niko

Derf - I have to know about that pic...is it real?

I found that picture by accident by doing an unrelated search. It was just a picture with no article behind it.

However there is this ship

With a length of 4,320 feet, a beam of 725 feet and a height of 340 feet, such a ship would probably be the longest that will ever be constructed. Displacing 2,700,000 tons of water – compared to the largest tankers of today which displaces some 500,000 tons – this would probably be the ultimate floating city.

from

http://www.greatoceanliners.net/futureprojects.html

Archived