Does Anyone Tip at the Beginning of the Cruise?

osiebosie

My DW and I have tried pre tipping, tipping only at the end of the cruise, and have come up with, what we believe to be an excellent middle of the road appreciative tipping. As Tuggers has said, we no longer believe in pre tipping. What we do, is to bring a box of thank you notes on our cruises, and extra 10's and 20's, and when we find that someone has given us exceptional service, we will write them a personal note, and, if appropriate, include money.

Comments coming back from crew, when handled this way, are very special.

Rick

Rick, I almost always (have been known to forget them once or twice) take thank you notes and use them in place of the tip envelopes. I feel it makes the tipping process a little more personal and you are right, the staff and crew seem to appreciate the extra effort.

I'm off on Z 10/21 so I'll be leaving for Newark on the 20th, overnighting in that wonderful city and then on the on to the Caribbean. Hope they don't have to shovel the snow off the pool deck before we get on! Those pesky winter clothes take up so much space!!!

I'm off on Z 10/21 so I'll be leaving for Newark on the 20th, overnighting in that wonderful city and then on the on to the Caribbean. Hope they don't have to shovel the snow off the pool deck before we get on! Those pesky winter clothes take up so much space!!!

That's wonderful Gail! Are you doing a B2B or just the repo?

We just returned from our fall colors trip on the Jewel of the Seas....great weather at all stops. Our next cruise is on the Mercury for a full transit of the Panama Canal on December 8th.

Rick

We make it a habit to tip each person on a daily basis, along with a personal thank you for something they did that day. For instance, telling the cabin steward that we really appreciated the extra pillows, etc. Even on our longest cruise, we never run out of things to thank them for. For extraordinary service, I send a handwritten note to that staff member's supervisor praising the staff for the service & the supervisor for the training they provided. Not sure whether our actions have prompted better service, but that was never the point to begin with--everyone likes to know their work is appreciated.

Archived