Tipping Guides

1milehi

There are several post on other threads that mention tipping your tour guide. What should be a customary acceptable tip for your private tour guide (Phil, Marva, ect.)per person ? How about for a group tour guide(ship's excursion)? How much tip for your guide on your Dunn's River climb ?

Seems like some posters on other threads have felt like they tipped to much or made feel like they did not tip enough. So what is a "standard" tip for a job well done ?

Good question!

This is my first cruise and I am as baffled reading all these reports! :eek:

I figured if I booked a shore trip through the ship that the fee covered everything for the trip - including the tip for whomever the ship is using to run the tour.

It doesn't say anything anywhere in the excursion guides about having to budget money to tip everyone who touches you along the way!

Are tips included in the ship excursions? It seems in a group setting like a shore tour, there is no way I will get special attention so good that I will feel the need to tip anyone. In other trips I have taken on land, the tip is always handled by the bus captain or tour group leader out of the cost of thr trip.

I'm not against tipping where deserved, but gereally wasn't expecting it when the event is prepaid, as with a shore excursion.

Confusing indeed! :confused:

Just what I'd like to know as well....we have private excursions here and in grand cayman and I d like to be able to budget appropirately. I had budgeted a couple of bucks per person for the tube and falls, but now it seem slike $5 for 2 people isnt enough??? And about the bus driver (in this case phil, marva, or whomever) i hadnt even thought of tipping jsut cuz thats why I am paying for the excursion, so now I have to budget differently. If anybody has a good idea that would be great!

Good question!

I figured if I booked a shore trip through the ship that the fee covered everything for the trip - including the tip for whomever the ship is using to run the tour.

It doesn't say anything anywhere in the excursion guides about having to budget money to tip everyone who touches you along the way!

You are correct about there is no mention about tipping your tour guide, but just wait and see if there is not a hand out awaiting your tip at the end of the tour. My reason for starting this thread is so cruisers can better budget their shore excursions by knowing whom to tip and how much to tip them. The cruise ships sure let you know what is an expected tip for your wait staff and room steward, but have zero guidelines for onshore tipping.

On the River Tubing, I was told atleast $3.00 per person. More if you really felt you had a good guide.

It would be nice to establish a tipping guide...depending on specific services rendered. In Cozumel, we had a private guide, he rented a van, drove us around all day, served us in many ways, took us to the tortilla factory where we were given fresh, hot, corn tortillas, and was basically ready to take us to do whatever, whenever we wanted. Took us to special places for specific shopping. So that was one of those cases where you just tip what you feel.

We have found that we have been expected to tip on nearly every shore excursion we have ever booked be it through the ship or done indeprendently.

We tipped many people when we were in Jamaica because we did a lot of things. I did feel like we spent a lot on tips. However, we received terrific service each time so we felt that the tip was earned. We tipped the guides at the Enchanted Garden, Coyoba Gardens. river tubing, and our driver for the day. We tipped our waitress at lunch. I did not tip the attendant in the Ladies' Room in the shopping district. She seemed quite miffed with me but I didn't have any small bills left at that point and I felt that she was just looking for a handout.

I tend to go with the 15% rule on excursions unless I feel that the service was over the top and deserves more or vice versa if the service was unacceptable. I gave our driver a 25% tip because we were thrilled with the service rendered. My recommendation for tipping on excursions to take lots of ones and fives so that you can be reasonable with your tipping. For three of us for 6 hours, we ended up spending at least $50 in tips. I did feel like we were tipping all the time that day but then again, we did a lot in one day. Usually we don't do so many things. So if you plan to do a lot, you will be tipping a lot. But be reasonable. Conservative is fine.

I know what you mean! I didn't expect an attendant in the bathroom. And it wasn't a fancy restroom in any way! BTW, the other restrooms I used that day were tip-free. Your budget should be safe! ;)

Barva wrote:

I tend to go with the 15% rule on excursions unless I feel that the service was over the top and deserves more or vice versa if the service was unacceptable. I gave our driver a 25% tip because we were thrilled with the service rendered. My recommendation for tipping on excursions to take lots of ones and fives so that you can be reasonable with your tipping. For three of us for 6 hours, we ended up spending at least $50 in tips.

Barbara I know you used Marva, and I would like to use her for a tour in January. You mentioned $50.00 in tips this can't include Marca. Six people @ $60.00 pp $360.00 25% = $90.00 is that what you tipped Marva? Trying to get a handle on this tipping thing in Jamaica. Love Denmark, no tipping....

Paul

Paul -

Marva charged us $80 for the 3 of us for 6 hours as our driver and general guide. She did not include any admission fees in her price because we were not sure exactly what we were going to do. We were her sole clients that day. We were able to leave our valuables and stuff in the van when we toured. We tipped her $20.00 because we had enjoyed our day so much. We would have never known about the Enchanted Garden if not for her advice. She had also encouraged us to do the tubing which we adored.

Have a great trip! :)

What I found frustrating was the number of people I was expected to tip. I didn't count on that. I had assumed that I would pay the cost for the excursion and then tip the tour operator. I didn't realize that we would be handed off to so many people along the way that would expect tips. Really adds up!

I asked Belinda at A-Z Planners this exact question and her reply is as follows.....

You would need to tip the guide at the Falls and also at the gardens and $2-3 per person is fine, also you may wish to tip your driver if his service is above and beyond what you expect and we recommend standard tipping of 10-15%.

Thanks Family!!! I guess we could just tip and run, that way you never know their reaction! LOL! It would be nice if all the guides/drivers just had a tip jar. Just roll your money up and put it in. If you want them to know, just hand it to them directly. I had read that most tipping in the US is figured at 20%??? Is that what you all have seen?

I just stated exploring this site last night and it brought up a number of questions and a number of accusations. After our first cruise we very seldomed used cruises off the boat because of expense and found out that sometimes the same tour operators were used. So, I went to the source, Marva. She answered me within three hours. I would like to share with you what she said.

"

on the subject of tipping, let me say this i have been in this business for nineteen years, i worked with Juta for about 14-15 years in the hotels selling tours and this is the first time i am coming under this criticism. I dont know if you wish to beleive me, but whatever your heart tells you to do in terms of tipping me will be highly appreciated, it does not matter what it is, there is no hard and fast rules on tipping, therefore you tip according to the service you get, so please dont allow a FEW negative posts to get in your way.There is a particular post suggesting that i was tipped US$37.00 and i frowned, i felt so weak when i heard that one, only a MAD MAN in jamaica would frown if he/she receives $37.00 tip. As a matter of fact Jim, when i went back to my bus, at this time you clients were already on their way to the ship, i looked at the tip i was really happy, and surprised too, that two persons had tipped me $37.00by and i was so very grateful, i wish these folks would know how appreciative i was, i must tell you that the expression on my face was TOTALLY misread,by these folks, however i will continue to be MARVELLOUS Marva,when it comes on to giving my clients TOTAL SATISFACTION, i really wont be daunted."

I tip but think it is a very arcahic system. First, I learned that you do not tip the business owner. If I go to a barber shop and get a hair cut, I tip the barber that gives me the hair cut. If the owner cuts my hair he does not get a tip. When on a tour I learned that it is not dependent of the cost of the tour. There are built in expenses that are pre paid such as entrance fees. So to give a $20 tip on a $100 tour would be excessive, IMHO. If the driver or guide did something special or out of the ordinary more tip would be in order. Such as the example that while everyone else ate the driver took extra time to take someone shopping. This is my opinion and what I learned. I will be in Jamaica on Nov 1 and look forward to having a good time. I hope you all do whenever your cruise it.

Blessings, Jim

Well, interesting....maybe she looked at the ground and saw some thing she didn't like there! LOL...cause both my hubby and I saw her do that!!! So it led us to believe she was upset at our tip, which...made us feel bad. Sooooo, if that is what she says happened! I STAND corrected....and need to ask for her apology! Which I will do. :) Thanks for the post!

Wait and pls explain something to me: Thanks! WE are doing tubing on a private tour with Trevor Hudlin. i am paying 20$ pp to do this. I am expected now to tip a guide ?? A guide for what?? I thought that was the price of the tubing...20$ which includes the admission and whatever comes with it> If he hands us a tube we need to tip? That is what I am paying for!

JandCbrown, I appreciate your response and I appreciate your attitude about tipping. It seems to me that americans read body language more that other cultures. It is not always right. I have a hard time with people who frown while I am with them thinking its my fault. Most of the times its not. I only find out the real reason by communication. Ofcourse, not everyone is as brazen as I am about talking to people.

Just understand the situation and realize you are not necessarily the reason and do not take your good guesture as being unwanted. Your talking about it here has helped me find the answers and probably others as well.

Jim

Wait and pls explain something to me: Thanks! WE are doing tubing on a private tour with Trevor Hudlin. i am paying 20$ pp to do this. I am expected now to tip a guide ?? A guide for what?? I thought that was the price of the tubing...20$ which includes the admission and whatever comes with it> If he hands us a tube we need to tip? That is what I am paying for!

You will be dropped off at a stop for tubing where you will be handed a tube and 1 or 2 guides will go down the river with you depending on the size of the group. You are expected to tip the guides in addition to the $20 you paid Trevor Hudlin for the tubing. The $20 does not cover the guides' tips.

That's what I meant in my previous post. You are passed on to different guides along the way, all of which you are expected to tip. I did not realize that untill I was on the tour. I had thought the excursion fee would cover everything and at the end I would tip the tour guide.

I can understand how this can be confusing. One thing that may help you is to realize that in the Caribbean wages are very low and many of the guides at places like Dunn's River Falls, tubing, etc. probably do not get an hourly wage like guides at our parks (if they do it is very low), so they live on tips. This might put things into perspective for you - one of my friends in Jamaica was offered a job at a high end resort (rooms up to $700 per night), a place that is all-inclusive and tips are not allowed - the employees can lose their jobs if caught taking a tip - the wage was approximately $40US per week. That was for 6 days a week - not even enough to pay for gas. This is why you may feel that there is a hand out every place you turn - that is the only way they can survive and competition is strong.

My rule of thumb has always been $2-$3 per person for a guide at an attraction unless I feel they have really gone out of their way then I tip $5. On many of the tours your driver is a low payed employee of the tour company so I usually also do something in the $2-$5 per person range depending on service (I'm talking about a bus situation here). If I hire a private tour guide then I figure it on the service and the time spent, more so than the cost of the tour since many tours do include admission to attractions and you shouldn't be tipping on that portion.

I hope that helps.

I am tired of being told how poor their wages are...then go to college and get out of the poverty or just accept it. It is not my job to have to provide income for them just because they have very little. I save and I save for my vacations and we work hard all year. I am not going to throw my tip money away just to help them out. I was unaware that after paying 20$ pp to do the tubing I will have to them tip multiple guides.... is that what you are saying to me????? And how much per guide? We are a family of 4. If the guides just help you navigate the river...isn't that part of the price of the tubing??? I go to amusement parks..I pay the admission...if I ask a worker something do I tip them??? NO! If a theater worker seats me, do I tip them? NO..it is part of the admission. I would think that the 20$ pp includes the right to have a guide to make sure you can tube without incident.

Our guides at the river tubing were very much a part of our experience. They kept every one safe and happy. They worked hard, swimming and running and tubing. We only had the two guides for the entire trip. At the end of the trip, my dh gave both of the guides $3. They were appreciative.

For your family of 4, you should still only have to pay $3 or $4 for each of the guides (2).

Have a great time on the Mariner. She is a great ship!

Archived