Rome Group Tours

There's been a lot of posts concerning private tour guides and drivers. Has anyone had a good experience with a group tour in Rome? I'm thinking of a days tour with 10-15 other tourists. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

There's been a lot of posts concerning private tour guides and drivers. Has anyone had a good experience with a group tour in Rome? I'm thinking of a days tour with 10-15 other tourists. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

With that size or even a few more you should be just fine.Have done a tour before with 20 and I thought it was well done and we saw a lot.

Just returned from our cruise aboard the Liberty adn we took 3 days pre cruise in Rome.

We were a group of 16 and I booked all our tours & transfers with a company called Anno-Domini and we were all very pleased with their service and our tour guide. Plus their ability to delay the 1st evening's tour when our flight made us late arriving .

Our Guide's name for all 3 days was Sev Borzak and he was great.

On our full day tour of Rome to see Ancient Rome we fit in a tour of the following:

Catacombs (we spent approximately an hour touring here) and a visit to the Basilica of St Sebastian which is at the entrance to the Catacombs.

A drive down the Appian Way to reach the CAtacombs

Basilica of St John Lateran

Bascila of San Clemente

Colosseum

Arch of Constantine

Pantheon

Spanish Steps

Plus we drove by places such as the Roman Forum and Circus Maximus

We also spent a half day visiting the Vatican City with Sev - he made sure that we did not wait in any long lines.

try the company at http://www.anno-domini.us and Sev at sev@anno-domini.us

Their prices were very competive and Sev is a professor of ancient history at the university and really knows what he is talking about. Plus his english is perfect.

I just returned from a sailing with HAL that had a stop in Rome, but the port is between 90minutes and 2 hours away, so you lose almost 4 hours of the day. I have been to Rome with cruise ships 4x, but this was the first time I arranged for a private tour. We used Romalimo and had Sandro as the guide/driver. You are better off using the ships tour, because the drivers are not guides and do not always do what you want. Even though you get things in writing some drivers do not want to follow the agreed upon itinerary. Sandro took us to a friend's restaurant and charged us $25 a paerson for a pasta plate and wine. He also demanded a gratuity which he added to the bill. He was insulting and intimidating. He charged an additional $60 pp for a Vatican guide. In the end the ship gave more value and quality. In a word, beware of private tours. ASK YOURSELF: ARE YOU SURE THE PRIVATE TOUR WILL DELIVER WHAT IT PROMISES AT THE PRICE IT QUOTED.

I took two fabulous group tours in Rome with a company called Rome Walks. The size of the tours is around eight to ten people. One tour was a tour of the colloseum and ancient city. The other tour was of the Vatican. Each of the tour guides was wonderful and the price of the tours quite reasonable.

Their web site is romewalks.com

They provide information on the tours, pricing information and other relevant information. We e mailed them with our questions a couple of times before we booked them. They answered all of our e mails in a very timely and comprehensive manner.

Keith

I just returned from a cruise on the Liberty - and had very good walking tours with a company called Angel Tours : http://www.angeltoursrome.com/en/tours.htm

We used them twice - for the Heart of Rome tour, and the Vatican tour. We did have the same guide each time - Ann Marie - she was fantastic. The tour for the Vatican was listed as 3 hours - she spent 4 hours with us.

Our first tour had about maybe 10 people, and then at the Vatican, we sere split between several guides - I think there were 11 of us. My group of 4 were extremly happy with the tour and the cost of 25 Euro per person + tip.

We also used Angel Tours and Anne Marie was our guide for the Vatican and Heart of Rome tours, too! She was great and also spent more than the allotted time with our small group as well at the Vatican. We used Angel Tours for a tour of the Colisseum and Forum but the guide was a different young lady, but still excellent. Their fee is 25 E per person and they make the tours interesting in addition to being informative. Angel Tours also does a Pantheon tour each night at no charge!

Archived