Self debarkation ?

sharod

I left my bags outside the night before and got off early. A porter took us to the terminal (this was off the Vision) and we immediately found our color and our bags. the best of both worlds, although the line to disembark was unorganized.[/quote

I wonder what debarkation would be like if we all did'nt follow the rules like you???? Nice Job

I was too stupid to know any better. The card didn't say don't leave your bags out....so I didn't!

I'm carrying my bags off, I'm not taking any chances of them getting lost. My employer just got off a Celebrity cruise last week and still don't have one of their bags. It was lost between the night they set their bags out and disembarking. My guess is that they probably won't see it.

You can use the elevator. Most people are just too lazy to carry their own luggage off and look for any excuse not to do so.

I'll have to politely disagree with this comment.

We've done the self-disembark once and will never again. Why? Because most everyone is carrying their own bags and it's a mess. The exact reason why many of us use the stairs instead of the elevators, because you can't get near them with all the luggage inside.

I swear, cruise ships used to be so much easier to disembark before self-disembarkation started. Not only do the majority of people want to do this, they all want to wait in the lobby, on the stairs, in the hallways to self-disembark.

From now on, we'll do it th old fashioned way. Have our bags carried off the ship, take a book and a water bottle to our appointed waiting area and disembark when our color is called. Let the lines simmer down before exiting with the masses.

I've decided the whole self-disembark idea is to benefit the cruise line, not the pax. They now need fewer people moving luggage to the holding area the last night. We've decided we're not pack mules, even with only carry ons, it was too much trouble.

Disembarkation is different for every ship on every cruise. The ship wants it to go smoothly, they want the pax to get the heck off their ship to prepare for the next batch of people. It's the port and the authorities there that can hold things up. Also, any persons who are not US citizens have to report, many times you will hear the same names paged over and over before disembarkation can even get started.

My point is, never rush to get off a ship for a flight, you are setting yourself up for stress and frustration. Always plan a few hours for any unexpected delays. The last time we had our bags carried off the night before, it was a breeze to find them in the terminal, hardly any bags were there.

I'll have to politely disagree with this comment.

We've done the self-disembark once and will never again. Why? Because most everyone is carrying their own bags and it's a mess. The exact reason why many of us use the stairs instead of the elevators, because you can't get near them with all the luggage inside.

I swear, cruise ships used to be so much easier to disembark before self-disembarkation started. Not only do the majority of people want to do this, they all want to wait in the lobby, on the stairs, in the hallways to self-disembark.

From now on, we'll do it th old fashioned way. Have our bags carried off the ship, take a book and a water bottle to our appointed waiting area and disembark when our color is called. Let the lines simmer down before exiting with the masses.

I've decided the whole self-disembark idea is to benefit the cruise line, not the pax. They now need fewer people moving luggage to the holding area the last night. We've decided we're not pack mules, even with only carry ons, it was too much trouble.

Disembarkation is different for every ship on every cruise. The ship wants it to go smoothly, they want the pax to get the heck off their ship to prepare for the next batch of people. It's the port and the authorities there that can hold things up. Also, any persons who are not US citizens have to report, many times you will hear the same names paged over and over before disembarkation can even get started.

My point is, never rush to get off a ship for a flight, you are setting yourself up for stress and frustration. Always plan a few hours for any unexpected delays. The last time we had our bags carried off the night before, it was a breeze to find them in the terminal, hardly any bags were there.

I really admire the eloquence of your post, but for someone like me, who only ever travels with a carry on and backpack, self-disembarkation is a very convenient and welcomed feature. It allows me more flight options b/c I can make flights that others wouldn't, often at a lower fare. It also allows me to get home sooner and get back in the groove of things before returning to work.

I do agree that some people try to self - d with WAY too much luggage.

Okay, I'm confused.

people mention the stairs. are you not allowed to use the elevator to disembark?

also, we will be on vision of the seas our room starts with a 2 (so i guess we're 2nd deck) how far up or down is this from whatever level you embark/disembark from?

We just got off the Vision on Sunday. We were also on Deck 2. You disembark on level 4. Have a great time on your cruise! We sure did!

You never know how many people will be doing self disembark until you get there. The first time I was on a ship with self disembarkation there were so many people using that option that it took 2 hours to get the self disembark group off the ship. As a result, I missed my flight home, not using the self disembark option. On my Rhapsody cruise very few people used the self disembark option. I didn't and was still off the ship and in my car by 8am. On my Monarch cruise, I used the self disembark option. By the time they started letting us off the ship, the line circled around the Centrum and looped back and forth many times. There were at least 200 people waiting in line with us. I was literally the first person in line, so got off very quickly, but I was in line an hour before they started letting us off the ship (and was joined by 20 other people as soon as we started the line).

You never know how many people will be doing self disembark until you get there. The first time I was on a ship with self disembarkation there were so many people using that option that it took 2 hours to get the self disembark group off the ship. As a result, I missed my flight home, not using the self disembark option. On my Rhapsody cruise very few people used the self disembark option. I didn't and was still off the ship and in my car by 8am. On my Monarch cruise, I used the self disembark option. By the time they started letting us off the ship, the line circled around the Centrum and looped back and forth many times. There were at least 200 people waiting in line with us. I was literally the first person in line, so got off very quickly, but I was in line an hour before they started letting us off the ship (and was joined by 20 other people as soon as we started the line).

We are planning on using the self disembark because the latest flight we could get that day was 11:00 am! It wasn't a matter of price - there just was nothing else available. I guess we'll have to plan to get up very early...what time did you get in line?

SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE REPLY...guess I gotta learn to be patient with my computer!

We are planning on using the self disembark because the latest flight we could get that day was 11:00 am! It wasn't a matter of price - there just was nothing else available. I guess we'll have to plan to get up very early...what time did you get in line?

SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE REPLY...guess I gotta learn to be patient with my computer!

You can "get in line" when the ship clears customs and the announcement is made for the self assist passengers to proceed to the gangway. On our cruise there was no line. It was just us and a few others carrying our own luggage off. Piece of cake.

No, not all ships have this option. It isn't available in San Juan.

Just curious, do you know why that option is not available in San Juan?

We were the last group off on our last cruise because we had a rental car. We finally got off the ship just before 11 am. It would have been fine to stay on board but they sent us to the Starquest Lounge which was totally packed and no where to sit.

We will have the same situation in SJ. Can we just find a quiet spot that isn't our "listed" waiting area? I was not thrilled to sit on the floor for 2 1/2 hours. Plus, why do they send you to the highest place on the ship??!! when you get off on deck 4? (Can you tell, I always follow directions!):rolleyes:

Just curious, do you know why that option is not available in San Juan?

We will have the same situation in SJ. Can we just find a quiet spot that isn't our "listed" waiting area? I was not thrilled to sit on the floor for 2 1/2 hours. Plus, why do they send you to the highest place on the ship??!! when you get off on deck 4? (Can you tell, I always follow directions!):rolleyes:

Yes, you can find a quiet spot that isn't your listed waiting area. Just find a lounge and make yourself comfortable as you will be there a while. In San Juan they let people off by flight times first and then let everybody else off the ship. For example, on our cruise group 1 was flights before 11am, then group 2 was the next 2 hour span, and so forth.

I don't know why they don't have self disembark in San Juan. I suspect it is a combination of what Customs requires there, and the fact that most people coming off the San Juan cruises are headed straight to the airport for a flight, unlike other ports where many cruisers can just hop in their cars and drive home.

• 3 weeks later...

:confused: Please correct me if I am wrong, but am I to assume from these postings that 1) I can disembark any time I wish (later the better to avoid crowds), 2) I can have a liesurely breakfast or sleep late and 3) I CAN use the elevator? I am travelling with two elderly women who would not be able to carry luggage down stairs. Since we live in Florida, we do not need to catch any flight so time is not of the essence. We just don't want to be rushed, caught in any crowds and would like to keep out luggage overnight. Please advise! Leaving in two weeks. Thanks!

:confused: Please correct me if I am wrong, but am I to assume from these postings that 1) I can disembark any time I wish (later the better to avoid crowds), 2) I can have a liesurely breakfast or sleep late and 3) I CAN use the elevator?

It's not necessarily getting off anytime you wish, but if you want to be one of the last people off the ship, go to guest relations and ask for the last color off the ship. If you don't do the self disembark option, then you have to wait until your color is called before getting off the ship.

You can have a leisurely breakfast, but sleeping late might be a problem. You have to be out of your room by around 8:30am. Also, the dining rooms start to close around 8:30, 9ish so you have to be in the dining room by that time.

Yes, you can use the elevator, just be prepared to be patient and wait for the elevators. You don't have to carry your own luggage off the ship if you don't want to (just your carryons). You can leave your bags out in the hall the night before and they will collect them and take them off the ship for you. That way all you will have to handle is the carryons.

Helps a lot. Now I know what time I can sleep until and what time I can go for breakfast. We can leave our luggage in our room while having breakfast, then go back to the room and get it and wait until the elevators clear and then just leave!:)

Helps a lot. Now I know what time I can sleep until and what time I can go for breakfast. We can leave our luggage in our room while having breakfast, then go back to the room and get it and wait until the elevators clear and then just leave!:)

Be aware that unless you have a really nice room steward, that your luggage has to be out of the room at the same time as you, no later than 8:30. What you can do is take your luggage with you to breakfast, and set it to the side in the dining room (I have done this in the past). If they haven't called your color by the timeyou finish breakfast, you can then find a lounge to relax in to wait.

Archived