Baggage tags

m steve

I recently read that X wasn't sending out luggage tags in advance. It didn't seem possible that they wanted you to stand around at the pier filling out name, address and cabin info. That would just delay boarding and cause long back ups while trying to board. Guess what. That's the case. How stupid can they be to a save a few $ in postage and antagonize their paying passengers.

Has anyone else found this to be annoying? Doing your documentation on line has speeded up boarding and I like that but all that good will is going away. I hope other cruise lines are not following suit. Has anyone had this happen so far and how long are the lines? Do you just put cabin #s on the tag or must all the info be filled out? We recently boarded Princess in about 5 minutes. Can't believe this is efficient. Please post your experiences.

I recently read that X wasn't sending out luggage tags in advance. It didn't seem possible that they wanted you to stand around at the pier filling out name, address and cabin info. That would just delay boarding and cause long back ups while trying to board. Guess what. That's the case. How stupid can they be to a save a few $ in postage and antagonize their paying passengers.

Has anyone else found this to be annoying? Doing your documentation on line has speeded up boarding and I like that but all that good will is going away. I hope other cruise lines are not following suit. Has anyone had this happen so far and how long are the lines? Do you just put cabin #s on the tag or must all the info be filled out? We recently boarded Princess in about 5 minutes. Can't believe this is efficient. Please post your experiences.

Yes, we were sent e-docs:eek: ...no luggage tags and the Italian woman at the airport couldn't figure out why we didn't have any. Finally they gave us some but it was terribly inconvenient to have to fill these out at the hot and stuffy airport. Our names and cabin numbers were put on the tags. It took us about 15 minutes to board once at the dock...they have a number system to control the number of people going into a small area.

On our most recent cruise (last week), we received paper docs in the mail. It's been a 50/50 split on what type of docs we receive, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

I actually prefer the edocs, and don't get into a snit about filling out tags at the pier. I pack a Sharpie in my carry-on bag for this purpose. Since we have to have luggage tags on our bags in order to fly, I don't see the need to fill out the ship tags with more than our names and cabin number. Never had a problem yet. We don't really need a coilbound glossy paper book filled with more ways to part us from our cash, and I am happy to keep a few more trees alive receiving edocs; the whole paper document thing seems incredibly wasteful in this day and age of electronic ticketing.

Nicki

Does an electronic template for the baggage tags come with the edocs? That would be very handy, because I'd much rather print them off before I leave home, than have to write them up in a crowded public place.

I understand e-templates are available to TA's....are they available to the cruise passenger who booked directly with Celebrity?

We have sailed using e docs, getting our baggage tags at the pier at least three times now. I'm with Nicki, if we can save a little paper, why not. As some others have said, I carry Sharpie and have put our name and cabin number on the tag, no problems getting them delivered.

The first time we had to get tags at the pier, the porter didn't have any with him (took about 3 minutes to get some) and was a little rattled as this was very new (over a year ago). The past couple of times they've had them in their pockets.

I've done both....and the time spent in embarkation was really the same. Filling out luggage tags, just isn't a big deal. Your still getting on the ship....your still going to enjoy yourself....your still going to meet wonderful new friends! Sounds like a win-win-win situation to me!!!

Karyn

I agree, it's just not a big deal. I don't know how it could take 15 minutes to write your last name and cabin number on 4-6 tags.

You are on vacation and about to take a relaxing cruise, it just seems so silly to get all concerned about taking a minute or two to fill out a few luggage tags. What's the rush?

The real pity is that it's the end of one of those little moments. I remember before our first cruise we got the boarding booklet & the luggage tags a couple of weeks or so before departure, and it made the whole thing seem much more imminent and real. And then when we cruised with Celebrity this year and got a similar package it made us feel like real veterans because it was something we recognised and knew what to do with!

Whereas first-timers now are just going to get an email...

As instructed by X, we had placed our X tags on our luggage prior to leaving home. At the airport, the American Air agent ripped them off saying the barcodes will confuse the luggage handlers and we were in jeopardy of losing our luggage cause they could end up on the wrong carousel. It would have been better to hang on to the tags and put them on the luggage once we picked them up in the embarkation city's airport. The jok turned out to be on us anyway cause our luggage didn't make it to Venice until a day after we did. By then X had our airline luggage tags and used those to trace, locate, and deliver our bags.

In the future, I will wait to place those X tags. I actually think handing them out at check-in makes sense. It would be even better if they pre-printed all your information for you.

I don't get this thing about luggage tags. I haven't had them in advance of my sailing in years as I do pier pick ups.

IT IS NOT BIG DEAL. Takes a couple of seconds and you are done.

And I've never had any trouble getting my luggage in a timely fashion.

The real pity is that it's the end of one of those little moments. I remember before our first cruise we got the boarding booklet & the luggage tags a couple of weeks or so before departure, and it made the whole thing seem much more imminent and real. And then when we cruised with Celebrity this year and got a similar package it made us feel like real veterans because it was something we recognised and knew what to do with!

Whereas first-timers now are just going to get an email...

Ah, Tom, YOU make sense! I have a collection of tags from many trips...Cunard always had the nicest tags, and, from that perspective, I agree...what a nice souvenir.:)

But the ugly ones that I just recieved (count 'em, twelve of 'em!:eek: ) are NOT worth collecting/saving/worrying about. Face it folks, some of the current "nice little touches" we are starting to miss are environmentally unfriendly, not a distinct advantage for the handling of our luggage, costly, and no more worth collecting than the airline tags we rip off each time we travel.;)

It's true, the definition of luxury is changing...I'm aware of that every time I check into a hotel, and the more expensive the room, the starker it is! But as soon as they stopped printing the tags with the nice pictures of the ships, their presence or lack thereof became a non-issue.

Wasn't there just recently a discussion of this, and potential cruise cancellation, end etc.?

Hmmm, interesting that particular thread is nowhere to be seen.

So we re-sharpen the same axe.

The thread has resurfaced in disguise ... some things don't go away easily ;)

AND ALLOW MYSELF THE PREVIOUSLY QUOTED 15 SECONDS TO WRITE ALL MY CABIN TAGS WHILE THE STEVADORE HAS HIS HAND OUT WAITING FOR A TIP. Then I can go onboard and wait 5 hours for the bags to be delivered to my cabin with all my illegal liquor inside. Wow, what fun! I guess I could use the famous Duck tape and write my cabin # on my suitcases.

It's not saving trees. It's saving the supposed luxury line a few cents.

Steve - just wondered if you booked with a TA or Celebrity? I was told by Celebrity last year that it depends on the contract that they have with the TA as to which type of docs are issued.

We'll be doing our 4th Celebrity cruise next month and just received paper docs & luggage tags (as we did for the previous 3.) I booked this cruise directly with Celebrity, but have booked others through an on-line TA. My docs have always come directly from Celebrity's office in Miami.

Steve - just wondered if you booked with a TA or Celebrity? I was told by Celebrity last year that it depends on the contract that they have with the TA as to which type of docs are issued.

We'll be doing our 4th Celebrity cruise next month and just received paper docs & luggage tags (as we did for the previous 3.) I booked this cruise directly with Celebrity, but have booked others through an on-line TA. My docs have always come directly from Celebrity's office in Miami.

I am a TA and I choose how I want my docs issued for each booking. My decision is based on my client as some are not comfortable using a computer.

I prefer the edocs because I can reissue if lost or misplaced without charge or wait for the client.

Wasn't there just recently a discussion of this, and potential cruise cancellation, end etc.?

Hmmm, interesting that particular thread is nowhere to be seen.

So we re-sharpen the same axe.

I thought some of the responses to that thread were very much over the top and overly critical. People write things I don't agree with all the time, and I just roll my eyes and move on. :) No big deal if someone doesn't agree with you or whatever.

I think what some are trying to say is that they think it's a service issue, and different passengers have various ways of definining good service. So while it's not a problem for me, if someone else gets upset about it, then they're entitled to their opinion.

I also miss the days when our documents were delivered in a nice case because it added to the excitement, and it looked like something special was happening (any cruise is special to me). We sailed Oceania in late August, and that cruise line still has some class and understands the concept of presentation and flair in their handling of cruise documents.

Donna

We've gotten both e-docs and paper for the past two years. The reservations were made with different companies so I don't know if it was the cruise company or travel agent which made the difference. Seems like it's been every-other-time. When we get e-docs, I just know I'll need an extra minute or two filling out the baggage tags. It's irritating, I guess, but I've never really given it a second thought before.

We're heading out on a cruise (first with Celebrity) on Nov. 5 and there were luggage tags in our docs. Nothing to write home about, they remind me of the bracelets one receives when admitted to the hospital, only on Tyvek.

I must admit the larger ones with the ship and line (HAL) or even photos of Alaskan wildlife, (last year's cruisetour with HAL) made me feel more like we were on a special vacation, but it isn't something I can't live without.

When I booked thru United no one told me I had a choice whether I would get real docs, luggage tags or shore excursion pakage. I expected it to be like the last 10 cruises. I would be happy to send a self addressed stamped envelope to X so the could save the 39C and send me tags ahead. Today X said that if I wanted a real ticket it would cost an additional $35 each. How cheap can they get?

I am leaving on X next week and we received the book with the luggage tags. It came from our TA and not from Celebrity. This is my third cruise with X with this TA in the last 1.5 years and I always get the little book. My guess is the TA decides whether you get edocs or paper.

I personally prefer etickets for my plane tickets. We even print the boarding passes at home. Makes for faster check in, and I don't have to worry about forgetting my tickets. All I need is a credit card to run through the eticket machine.

Happy Cruising!

When I booked thru United no one told me I had a choice whether I would get real docs, luggage tags or shore excursion pakage. I expected it to be like the last 10 cruises. I would be happy to send a self addressed stamped envelope to X so the could save the 39C and send me tags ahead. Today X said that if I wanted a real ticket it would cost an additional $35 each. How cheap can they get?

From the explanation that a previous poster (a TA) gave, it's the TA's decision on whether you receive e-docs or paper docs.

It sounds like your issue is with United as they should have either asked you which type of documents you preferred, or if they weren't offering a choice, then advised you that you would be receiving e-docs. Perhaps it's more money in their pocket if they don't request paper docs for their clients ??

Archived