Great blog entry about TAs

thanks for the link. I find this topic to come up quite often when customers are finding lower prices and the origional agent isn't allowing any reimbursement! It would be something to see a standard of customer relations in the industry so both the buyer and the agent are ensured fair treatment.

Read this short “blog” with a little interest. Very general statements from a T/A with a heart of gold and 15 years experience. Maybe I’m a skeptic, but then I was sure when I saw this sentence: “I WILL BE REPORTING THE WHOLE SITUATION TO THE TRAVEL AGENT AND CRUISE AGENT GOVERNING BOARDS, AND, LETTING THEM SETTLE THE MATTER.”

Just what “boards” govern T/A’s and agents, none. The two main “groups” T/A’s belong to have NO authority to do anything, just produce wall plaques to make a T/A look impressive. Bottom line is that a T/A is governed by the law of whatever state they work out of. If any complaint is to be done, it would be through the Lt. Govenor of that state.

Read this short “blog” with a little interest. Very general statements from a T/A with a heart of gold and 15 years experience. Maybe I’m a skeptic, but then I was sure when I saw this sentence: “I WILL BE REPORTING THE WHOLE SITUATION TO THE TRAVEL AGENT AND CRUISE AGENT GOVERNING BOARDS, AND, LETTING THEM SETTLE THE MATTER.”

Just what “boards” govern T/A’s and agents, none. The two main “groups” T/A’s belong to have NO authority to do anything, just produce wall plaques to make a T/A look impressive. Bottom line is that a T/A is governed by the law of whatever state they work out of. If any complaint is to be done, it would be through the Lt. Govenor of that state.

I thought CLIA was one of the governing boards of both cruise lines and travel agents? Additionally, what makes you believe it isn't real? I'm sure just like other sales related jobs (IE: real estate agents) that it is a rather backstabbing industry.

I've been reading this blog since it started and the information provided is always on the money. I do believe her story since she qualified it with the statement that she was venting.

To each his own...but I believe it

I will verify the TA story as true. Some of us have a group planned with the TA that writes the blog and, we have an independent site for our group that isn't associated with Cruise Critic. The whole story is digusting and our TA shouldn't be getting critized from people who have no personal knowledge of her or of the whole situation.

And, yes, this TA DOES have a heart of gold and does care about her clients that much. Hard to believe that such a person in today's society exists? That's for you to decide.

BTW - travel agents can complain to CLIA, ASTA, and I'm sure a few other organizations.

And, how do you know the TA you are questioning hasn't filed complaints with the BBB and/or the State Attorney's Office? Hmmm?

BTW - travel agents can complain to CLIA, ASTA, and I'm sure a few other organizations.

And, how do you know the TA you are questioning hasn't filed complaints with the BBB and/or the State Attorney's Office? Hmmm?

You must know this person, so I will believe the story. However, both organizations have no authority over any T/A as far as their business practices. The most they could do is cancel their membership from the group.

As far as the BBB, your friend would have no standing in making a complaint since he/she had no contract for goods or service with the other T/A. The blog stated the money was going to be paid voluntarily.

For the state getting involved, the same fact that your friend is a third party may prevent a complaint from being taken. Here in California, the actual customer wronged has to bring it to the state's attention. Plus if a call to the state had been made, wouldn't that fact be in the blog?

As a travel agent, I would like to respond to this. The cruise lines that I do business with (all the major ones) have told us that they do not allow any agencies to advertise lower prices than they offer - i.e. the same prices that my agency can get. Therefore, I cannot understand why any client would need to "switch" to another agency to get the lower price - causing the original TA giving up part of their commission (or why any TA would give up part of their commission to another agency). The client should be able to contact the original TA and tell them the lower price they have seen - then the original TA can contact the cruise line and let them know that there is a better price out there and in order to keep their client they need to get them that price. Either the price is available or it is not, it does not matter what agency is booking it.

Yes, complaints can be made to CLIA, ASTA, etc. but they do not "govern" or make the rules for travel agents - they can however cancel their memberships with their groups. Personally, I would hope that they would be more likely to suspend the membership of an agent who wants to have someone elses client "switch" to them to get a "special that only they are offering" (remember, the cruise lines will not allow one agency to advertise a lower price then they offer which is the same price any agency can get)then they would from an agent who would be willing to try to get the better price for their client through their own agency.

The best TA's out there try to get the best prices for their clients. We can match pretty much any price we see advertised by any other agency or supplier, and those of us that are ethical do not try to get any clients to "switch" to us unless the client has had bad experiences with their previous agent.

Remember, on blogs or message boards like this, anyone can state anything they want, whether it is true or not. Feel free to check my facts with CLIA, ASTA, or the cruise lines directly.

Archived