How do I request Lactose free Milk?

I am traveling with my mother in a few short weeks and she is lactose intolerant. Since I have basically been her TA for this cruise :rolleyes: she now wants to make sure she can have her lactose free milk on board (and she does like ice-cream at night after dinner so I can't forget that either).

How do I go about requesting the milk- I searched the forum and found an email address for the department that deals with food allergies- although this is not really an allergy (at least not the kind where she can't breathe or goes into shock). I am assuming with the amount of people needing lactose free food they may just have a quantity on hand of those products.

Any advice- I would sure hate for this to ruin my cruise- ooopppps I meant her cruise- if I don't get it figured out before we leave. :D

Has your mother tried taking lactose pills when she eats dairy?

My daughter is lactose intolerant. She keeps her dairy product intake limited and when she does eat dairy she takes a lactose pill. Its alot easier than trying to deal with lactose free milk when traveling.

Lactose intolerance is not an allergy, its the body not producing enough of the enzyme needed to digest dairy. We have found that the more processed a dairy food is, the easier it is to digest with lactose problems. So even if your mother has trouble with milk with a lactose pill, she may do fine with other types of dairy with the lactose pill such as cheeses in any of the meals. I'm not trying to disuade her from using lactose free products at home, but when traveling and eating out it could be a possible solution.

I know that she does take the pills when she eats something that is made with milk- such as pizza or if she has regular ice cream.

I am not sure if the pills do not work well if she drinks regular milk or not. I know that growing up she was sick quite often for unknown reasons (come to find out it was the lactose thing) and she would be sick for a day or two. Now that she is aware of the reason she is more diligent about what she eats.

They usually have soy milk available on all ships, even without asking.

Here's what RCCL's website says:

Royal Caribbean International makes every effort to accommodate our guests' dietary requirements whenever possible. We can accommodate special needs such as, Food Allergies, Gluten-free, Vegetarian (except for vegan/macrobiotic) Low-fat, Low-Sodium,

lactose-free/Soy Milk, Ensure, and Kosher meals at no extra charge. All guests must do is notify us at least 45 days prior to sailing. Here's how it works:

Send an email that includes the guests' names, reservation ID number, ship's name and voyage date to one of the addresses listed below.

Food allergies - foodallergies@rccl.com

Fax requests may be sent to 305-539-6018 Attn: Special Meals Request

E-mails will receive an automated response. Faxed requests will also receive a response provided the guest provides an email address. We kindly ask that guests do not call Royal Caribbean International suppliers with specific questions.

Special meal requests that are faxed or e-mailed less 45 days of sailing are dependent on the ship's product availability. We will try to accommodate to the best of our ability.

I have been told by RCI that they always have Lactaid available. We are on the Freedom on Sunday with our granddaughter and son in law, so I sent a special request for Lactaid, and was informed it was always available. We'll see if they are right.

Archived