should we do airline, transfers per/post package with Oceania..

roseleib

We are 2 couples traveling on the Insignia on April 28th. Our travel agent told us to take the airfare, transfers and pre and post cruise stays through Oceania. It seemds expensive. Is it worth it? One couple is planning to stay 1 night in Rome before cruise and both couples want to stay 1 night in Venice after cruise. Also should we book excursions through the cruise line? Thanks

It is not at all difficult to find very nice hotels on your own that are much less expensive than booking through Oceania.

We have not been able to find airfare for the amount Oceania would refund us (air plus taxes), but others have--so I'd recommend checking both ways. One thing to remember is that, since you want to extend your trip, you will need to pay the air deviation fee, but the good news about that is that you can then select your own flights.

I don't know what your ports are, but we found many in the Med easy to do on our own, or with private guides. The ports of call boards have lots of information.

You could take the free air and do a deviation (may be an extra charge depending on flights)to arrive early & stay later ...that way you choose your flights also.

I would check around for hotels & transfers though you could probably do it for less than O.

We had a bad expierence with O and their hotel package/transfer deal so I am jaded!;)

Others here can advise about Rome transfers etc...

You may even find someone to share the ride.

Same with excursions...compare pricing.

Roselieb, My husband and I are on the same cruise as you. And I do not know where you live, we live in Florida, and I have checked every web site for airlines and have not been able to get a fare as low as Oceania credit and deviation fee. One year ago we took Oceania's air and had absoutely no problem. We did stay a day early and did not know that when you take the deviation you can pick your flight. I was hoping to use my Delta rewards miles and do not seem to be able. I will try until we have to make the final payment. If not we will take Oceania's air. As far as one day before and one day after we plan to do that but not use their hotels. I have checked that out and they are overpriced. And as far as transferrs you can do that on your own. Pippi

Roselib, if you are not planning a pre-visit at your port of departure, taking the air & transfer package is a reasonable thing to do.

If you book your own air, it would be prudent to arrive a day early to avoid missing departure if there are flight delays. This will involve costs for hotel and, probably, transfer to the dock. The O transfer fees are not inexpensive, but most likely less than air fare difference, a night of hotel, and tranfer on top of that.

The big plus is that if you book air/transfer via O and there are flight delays, they might delay pushing-off from the dock. On a cruise we were on last year they delayed departure for 6 hours, waiting for a group on "O-air" that experienced delays at SFO.

I doubt that they would hold the ship for two people but they get their good prices by buying blocks of seats from their air-departure cities which they then must fill-up. Your flight from JFK, SFO, ATL, etc. would probably have a good number of other passengers heading for your cruise. That delayed SFO flight had people from numerous locations in the West.

We agree with others that you can find your own quality hotels a far better prices than those offered by Oceania.

As for the air, we always take the air credit and book our own air because we have mileage that can be used for upgrades to business class and it is far more comfortable to fly business. If we pay the deviation fee to Oceania and choose our own airline the flight is often not upgradeable because of the special fare class Oceania uses. We are on Oceania next month and it only cost us $200 more than the credit to book our own airfare but we have used mileage to get business class seats both ways so it was worth the extra $200. As for flight delays it is certainly a risk but "knock on wood" we have never missed a sailing and we have done a lot of cruises. Of course it is smart not to book the last flight into a city before the sailing,

One other thing, with the size group (two couples) you have traveling it is often far cheaper to book your own site seeing trips with private guides than taking the Oceania offerings. We often travel with a number of people and love the freedom of having our own group and our own guide. It is easy to check these message boards and find recommendations for private tour guides.

You are going to love Oceania...have a great trip

Our Rome hotel arranged private Mercedes E-class sedan pickup at airport for 50 euros. Watertaxi from Venice hotel ( assume your hotel is reachable by watertaxi ) to airport cost 100 euros, but it was big enough to seat 6 or more, including luggage. Both those scenarios are worry-free ( you do have to put your luggage on a trolly and push it for ~10 minutes from the landing dock to the terminal ) and only cost 50 euros per couple. But then you need to multiply these figures by 2, because you need to connect to the ship.

You then get to choose your hotel, perhaps by checking out tripadvisor.com, rather than taking what the cruiselines assigns you, whether it be for a better location or ambience, or cost.

We usually do not use the cruise hotels and transfers, we have always found them cheaper on our own and have had good experiences. We have a few more weeks before we can really start pricing our own air vs the Oceania credit for our next cruise, we'll be deciding then. We will be going to London early and spending a few extra days in Rome after the cruise so if we take the Oceania air, we will be doing the deviation and asking for specific flights. If you are only going one day early and staying one day longer, then pre and post cruise hotel package isn't a bad deal, but you can still do better on your own.

Thank you to everyone for your advice. The extra day through the cruise ship in Rome did seem very expensive. I think we will use our airmiles for the air and get a credit. I'll have to find out from my travel agent how much credit we get. Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice hotel with a great location in Rome? Do you suggest we take a taxi from airport to hotel and then another to ship? I will be reading these board to get all the tips. Thanks again.

roselieb,

I am curious how you are using your miles for the air portion of the trip. We have Delta sky miles and I have tried to use them for coach seats since we booked in August for the April 07 cruise. They now have us on a waiting list. Even if we wanted to upgrade to business class that would be $2300.00for each of us plus our miles, they do not even have that available. We are probably going to do Oceania's air, unless the waiting list opens up, but I will not hold my breath. We are also going one day before in Rome. Probably going to take a taxi into the city. Stay the day and overnight and then take another taxi to the pier. I do not know of any other way. Good luck. Pippi

Pippi, I have American Airline Miles. I have just enough for 2 business class seats. I called and held one set for 2 weeks. I called back everyday within the 2 weeks until better times/ flights opened up. We arrive on April 26th mid day. We'll have ~ 1 day and a 1/2 to explore Rome. Still haven't booked hotel. I've looked on tripadvisor but I'm not sure how to call hotels in Italy to book rooms. Maybe we could share taxi to cruise. Good luck using your miles.

Archived