Don't Feel The New $25 Corkage Fee Is Reasonable? (3 threads combined)

DaveFr

I have been loathe to point this out but now feel I must.

In the Jack Williams era, which was noticably more apt to care about passengers and repeaters, there was once a corkage increase to $20. After a thread on this

board asking for emails AND snail mail letters he was deluged with upwards of 200 contacts in just one day. The result of that was that they lowered the corkage to $15 which was the suggestion we made as being acceptable. At that time we were paying $8.

Just a thought. Remember, it will take all of us, whether we really care about the wine or not. It is the point that this is just the tip of the iceberg and an indication of what we have to look forward to.

Here is the contact info:

Dan Hanrahan, President

Celbrity Cruise Lines

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, Fl 33132

dhanrahan@rccl.com

Richard Fain

Royal Caribbean International

Chairman and Chief Executive Officer

same address

rfain@rccl.com

Luis Leon

Celebrity Cruise Line

Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer

same address

lleon@rccl.com

Brian J. Rice

Celebrity Cruise Line

Executive Vice President, Revenue Performance

same address

brice@rccl.com

I can not stess enough that this MUST be a REAL effort with LOTS of participation. Everyone must email and then follow up with letters marked 'Personal'. Think of it as a test to see if X really does care at all about it's loyal following.

I can't believe that anyone would go to this extent over a minor amount of money - i.e if you bring 4 bottles (which apparently you are not permitted to anyways) it will cost you an extra $40.00. Big deal!!!!!! As a percentage of the cheapest cabin this represents an increase of less than 2% per cabin. Again big deal!!!!!!!!!

Everybody picks their own battles to wage but this one seems rather petty compared to taking Celebrity to task over the pod issue with the M class ships or letting their ships become generally run down.

We are all entitled to our opinion, thats what makes this country, and this forum great, right?!

That said, my two cents.....does anyone but me think that e-mailing the company about this issue may make the situation worse by causing the baggage checkers to be even more dilligent in their liquor confiscation?

4 bottles x $25= $100 yes?

Sorry, its a blizzard here in Buffalo (close by) and theres nothing else to do but sit at the computer..........:p

I don't know that our emailing would make them look closer at what we may have in our luggage, although anything is possible. I do think $25 a bottle is ridiculous and don't forget the 15% gratuity added onto that. For me it's worth writing emails and sending letters, if for no other reason than to let them know a loyal Celebrity cruisers opinion of this whole thing.

Terri

I don't know that our emailing would make them look closer at what we may have in our luggage, although anything is possible. I do think $25 a bottle is ridiculous and don't forget the 15% gratuity added onto that. For me it's worth writing emails and sending letters, if for no other reason than to let them know a loyal Celebrity cruisers opinion of this whole thing.

Terri

I dont remember paying gratuity on top of the corkage fee....

I think that this is a great idea (to protest) and I will be writing my emails and letters today.

Not only is the increase ridiculous, it was given with no notice. We are sailing in a little over 30 days...

Rough draft, what do you all think?

Dear Mr. Hanrahan,

My family and I will be sailing on the Constellation over the Thanksgiving Holiday, which we have been looking forward to for quite some time. This will be our second Celebrity cruise and we have also sailed twice on Royal Carribbean.

I have just learned that the corkage fee has now been increased to $25 per bottle effective November 1, 2006. This is a huge increase and is being implemented without the benefit of any prior notice. This obviously impacts our upcoming cruise and certainly our decision whether to sail Celebrity again in the future.

I implore Celebrity to reconsider this increase.

For anyone who disagrees with this thread the solution is easy - just don't continue to read it and don't send any emails.

For those of us to chose to state our disagreements with management (and how are they to know we disagree unless we tell them, after I all I did not say send nasty emails, just state your opinions to them) this thread provides the needed information.

We don't need to get into a big harang over this.

This is the letter I just sent off to all 4 addresses.

Dear Mr. XXXX,

I can understand Celebrity's policy on not bringing hard liquor on board.

However, there are large numbers of people who would like to bring fine wines from their private cellars to enjoy in the dining rooms. This has always been acceptable up until now!

The new $25 corkage fee for wines sent by gift delivery services is exorbitant! AND the wines are not special from our private collection.

I would urge you to revisit this policy and allow fine wines to be brought on board. After all, Celebrity is known for it's gracious and hospitable service and pampering.

We are Elite Captain's Club members and have enjoyed many cruises with Celebrity -- all enhanced by our private collection of wines. I would really be disappointed if we couldn't bring our special bottles on board anymore.

Sincerely,

Charlene XXXXX

1929, I would state your reasons for bringing wine (special ocassion, special wine, etc) and approx how many bottles you intend to bring.

I would make clear that you are not bringing anything that is available on their wine list.

I think $25 corkage fee is VERY steep. This, along with the fact I see only two red wines below $30 a bottle, and I feel they're gouging a bit. I'm no expert, but the mark-up on wine is usually less than other beverages and there are PLENTY of nice lower-priced wines these days.

Their drink prices seem higher than the other lines I've sailed, too. I don't plan on getting snockered every day or anything, but I will probably try to stick with drinks of the day. I can afford to pay $10 per drink, yes, but I don't want to feel I'm being taken advantage of.

If we come home after this cruise and notice a significant difference in the cost for adult beverages, then we will certainly consider this when choosing X again, just as if we noticed excursions or other fees were higher. They have the *right* to set prices and I have the *right* to spend my dollars as wisely as possible.

:mad: I too intend to write a letter to X, as this is nothing more than GREED on their part. I spend plenty of money on alcohol on their cruises, so they definitely don't have a shortage of revenue from me. In addition, when you add 25 dollars for a bottle each evening on a 12 day cruise, thats astronomical. I like to pick up a bottle or two in each port in Europe for dinner that evening. (I tip the Sommelier in addition to the 15 corkage fee)

If this policy does not change, I will be forced to make a change in my booking for the med this summer. Adding it all up, we might as well go on Seabourne by the time its all over (all inclusive wine and spirits and impeccable service) + Caviar!! :)

I just received this reply from Mr. Fains office. Canned, but obviously well thought out.

Thanks for your constructive comments. I understand your frustration . . . I am not particularly knowledgeable about wines, but do know the pleasure of a particularly treasured bottle from a friend's cellar. We are trying to balance the various pressures. Sometimes it takes a while for the pendulum to even out at an equilibrium level, but we will add your comments to our consideration of that balance.

Thank you again for taking the time to write.

Richard Fain

I just received this reply from Mr. Fains office. Canned, but obviously well thought out.

Wow that was fast!! I sent mine, tweaked up based on yours and the other constructive comments, we'll see if I get the same response.

:mad: As a Celebrity loyalist, this outrages me and I am compelled to write them regarding their greed. I take two very expensive cruises with them a year (sometimes more) and they certainly make plenty of revenue from my parties in the alcohol department. I plan to write a letter and if this policy is not changed, I will be forced to look at Seabourne as well as others -as I will end up paying more one way or the other. Might as well pay an extra couple of thousand for top notch service and wine and alcohol + Caviar.....:D

This is where we should all draw the line in the sand.....

Hi Char !

The good news is, you did get a reply. In most cases, when I write, I either get a form letter or nothing at all. While I often feel as if the time I take to write Celebrity and offer my suggestions is a waste of time, I try to remain hopeful, that my suggestions do matter.

I am very pleased that someone (hopefully Mr. Fain) actually read your email, and that you recieved a response. That is encouraging.

This really hurts us Canadians who are also faced with the conversion factor:mad: That $25.00 corkage fee will cost us $28.43:mad: Make me certainly think twice or even three times before I bring that bottle or two on board.....however not enough to change or cancel my trip.

Archived