Don't Feel The New $25 Corkage Fee Is Reasonable? (3 threads combined)

DaveFr

I just received this reply from Mr. Fains office. Canned, but obviously well thought out.

Hi Char !

The good news is, you did get a reply. In most cases, when I write, I either get a form letter or nothing at all. While I often feel as if the time I take to write Celebrity and offer my suggestions is a waste of time, I try to remain hopeful, that my suggestions do matter.

I am very pleased that someone (hopefully Mr. Fain) actually read your email, and that you recieved a response. That is encouraging.

For anyone who disagrees with this thread the solution is easy - just don't continue to read it .

Like that ever stopped any of you from continuously posting and ridiculing those posters who dared to comment about their less than stellar experiences on Celebrity. The main reason for me to continue with my thoughts on this issue is to point out how inconsistent some people can be when Celebrity is apparently now wronging them versus those unsuspecting other posters who were subsequently flamed for simply complaining about some other aspect of their cruise not going right. Maybe now you can understand that what is not important to you (missed ports for example) may be very important to others.

On this particular issue to put into a true perspective Celebrity does have a "rule" that expressly prohibits passengers from bringing their own alcohol on board, be it wine or liquor. That being said the $25.00 fee would only apply to those bottles provided by an approved vendor - which again is according to the rules imposed by Celebrity. This is not a new rule, just one that they have chosen to enforce more strictly.

By attempting to bring your own wine aboard what in essence you are saying is that it is ok to break the rules if you don't think it should apply to you, while at the same time lambasting those who feel the dress code and other rules should not apply to them. Seems rather ironic now doesn't it!! A rule is a rule and no matter what you say a mass letter/email writing campaign is being instigated for the sole purpose of allowing a select few to be able to break the sacred rules of Celebrity. Again, how ironic is this!!

:) As a follow up to my previous post, I checked a very popular booking website and found several discounted sailings on Seabourne in the Caribbean for $2298-a couple of them were for a suite!! So, if you shop around, there are deals out there-ie I usually pay $1200 or so for a 7 day Caribbean cruise each winter (and thats cc class) which essentially carries no perks anymore and doesn't include any alcohol, This Cruise would offer superior wines and alcohol plus all the extras for what my itemized statement usually is on top of the cruise. So, fyi we do have options that are looking really good................................:p

By attempting to bring your own wine aboard what in essence you are saying is that it is ok to break the rules if you don't think it should apply to you, while at the same time lambasting those who feel the dress code and other rules should not apply to them. Seems rather ironic now doesn't it!! A rule is a rule and no matter what you say a mass letter/email writing campaign is being instigated for the sole purpose of allowing a select few to be able to break the sacred rules of Celebrity. Again, how ironic is this!!

No one is asking to be allowed to break the rules. We are asking for this particular rule to be changed/modified. Precedent has been set in the past for bringing wine on board. We would like to see this continued.

I'm curious, and please dont flame me for this, but, do you get charged with the corkage fee if you open the bottle in your cabin and bring it to the dining room with you? Previously, I never would have even thought of doing this, but if Celebrity is going to ask for $25 for opening the bottle, then maybe I will do it every third night or so to even things out.

Also, is the corkage fee still higher in the specialty restaurant? When I last sailed on X it was $12 in the dining room and $15 in the specialty. I guess I am asking about before this new increase.

Thanks for the addresses, Tuggers! Here's the copy of my letter:

We will be on Century for the 3rd time (RS's on past two and Penthouse on our upcoming November cruise). One of my husband's greatest pleasures is sipping his favorite wines from our collection on his balcony. We have collected wines from our travels and then enjoy the memories as well as the flavor while being pampered on our Celebrity cruises. First we were told that we can not bring ANY of our wines. Now the new policy includes a $25- corkage fee. If you can't bring your wine, how does the corkage fee come into play?

We have a Mercury RS booked for April and truthfully, if we encounter problems with our wine on this trip, we will cancel the November cruise. Vacations are not for silly hassles like these.

Hoping our cruise-line of preference will listen to our concerns!

Sincerely,

Nanette xxxxxx

Thanks for suggesting the 'campaign' Tuggers - I've sent my email and hope the campaign works. There is nothing to be lost by asking them to reconsider, and a lot to be gained if they do.

If they continue with their plan to charge $25.00, we'll continue to cruise on Celebrity ... we'll just order our wine from the menu, but I will miss picking up the occasional bottle of wine in port to enjoy at dinner.

Precedent has been set in the past for bringing wine on board. We would like to see this continued.

Fair enough, however, precedent in the past was to overlook the dress code, precedent in the past was to overlook the bringing of bottles of liquor on board. Why not let these be continued as well. If every overlooked rule is allowed to continue - why bother having any rules at all? Where do you draw the line?

Personally I agree with all of you, however, I just happen to be pointing out the sheer irony of your arguments now that something has not gone right for you. Where is the glass half full attitude or the lets make lemonade out of lemons attitude now? Why is it that an increased corkage fee is so important to you whereas missed ports or moldy shower complaints draw a severe flaming from some of you?

I have asked this question before....who in the world is an "approved vendor?" And how do you find them?

I am assuming that an approved vendor is one of the gift services that supply bon voyage gifts.

I have asked this question before....who in the world is an "approved vendor?" And how do you find them?

4 cruisers, I asked this question of a large # of folks at X when trying to buy flowers for my wedding while sailing on Century next month. It was an incredibly frustrating exercise in futility and they led me in circles with no resolution.

Basically, they admitted they had one but refused to identify who it was.:(

It was a joke and, if meant to dissuade, it worked. But, I eventually found a way around it since they made me so darn angry.

No one is asking to be allowed to break the rules. We are asking for this particular rule to be changed/modified. Precedent has been set in the past for bringing wine on board. We would like to see this continued.

And to play devil's advocate...what if there was a mass email / letter campaign to have the dress code officially changed? So that jeans/shorts/tank tops would now be allowed even on formal nights. I'm sure most of the posters on this thread would be horrified (I would be as well as I love dressing up and wish they'd adhere to it more vehemently).

X apparently does not feel that they need to worry about the long time customer. With more and more people cruising every year and their ships being filled most of the time I'm guessing that they have the attitude that they will just fill your spot with someone else who doesn't want to bring their own wine.

Fair enough, however, precedent in the past was to overlook the dress code, precedent in the past was to overlook the bringing of bottles of liquor on board. Why not let these be continued as well. If every overlooked rule is allowed to continue - why bother having any rules at all? Where do you draw the line?

The precedent in the past was to allow wine to be brought on board and charge a corkage fee in the dining room. A rule was not being broken by bringing wine.

The new rule is to not allow you to bring wine on board.

Kruisecat, the difference in dress code vs wine policy change is that everyone is affected by dress code...only the people who like their favorite wines are affected by the wine "code." I'll admit it...we are over the top about our wine. It's a bad habit (maybe...though it does seem to help my husband's cholesterol:p ) but it's what we REALLY enjoy on our vacations! We'll buy wine at dinner, just want OUR wine on the balcony.

You don't need to worry about it if it doesn't affect you! (there are enough other things in life to worry about for sure!:rolleyes: o The dress code would affect all of us!

Personally I agree with all of you, however, I just happen to be pointing out the sheer irony of your arguments now that something has not gone right for you. Where is the glass half full attitude or the lets make lemonade out of lemons attitude now? Why is it that an increased corkage fee is so important to you whereas missed ports or moldy shower complaints draw a severe flaming from some of you?

When does this new fee go into effect?

The precedent in the past was to allow wine to be brought on board and charge a corkage fee in the dining room. A rule was not being broken by bringing wine.

The new rule is to not allow you to bring wine on board.

The old original rule is no different than the new rule - no alcohol is permitted to be brought on board. The only thing different is that they are enforcing it now for both liquor and wine as opposed to overlooking it as they did in the past.

The precedent set by Celebrity in previously allowing wine and liquor in your carry-on bags does not translate itself into being the now accepted rule.

The corkage fee referred to within your cruise documents applies to those bottles supplied by that elusive "approved vendor". Any other bottle brought on board would be contrabond according to Celebrity and would be subject to confiscation.

The old original rule is no different than the new rule - no alcohol is permitted to be brought on board. The only thing different is that they are enforcing it now for both liquor and wine as opposed to overlooking it as they did in the past.

I beg to differ. The policy previously did not preclude bringing wine onboard not on their list. This was changed on the TA website on 7/28/06.

We have always taken our own wine and/or bought wine in ports, especially when in Europe-thats part of the fun of it. Have done 12 day cruises in Europe last three summers and wine was always allowed.:(

One of my favorite aspects of cruising the Med is to find new wines to enjoy with dinner aboard. It seems a shame that X has now decided to deny passengers that pleasure (while at the same time establishing a higher fee for it:confused:)

This policy only serves to make my "short list" even shorter. I am simply disappointed in the management team for creating this policy.

I beg to differ. The policy previously did not preclude bringing wine onboard not on their list. This was changed on the TA website on 7/28/06.

I am not positive - but I could have sworn that, back in July when this first became an issue, it was clear that the only words that actually changed in the Celebrity policy were those that pertained to drinking on board by 18 thru 21 year olds with their parents permission.

We have always taken our own wine and/or bought wine in ports, especially when in Europe-thats part of the fun of it.

Couldn't agree with you more (even if you do think I'm a troll). Again, all I was ever doing was pointing out the irony of some of these posters now complaining - and they know who they are by the way. It really has nothing to do with bringing wines from your private collection anyways. Dogsrule has it correct - it truly is about sampling the local wines when on a European or similar cruise. For a wine lover there is nothing better than that!! Our personal favorite was one we found in Ravello last summer for 3 euros. We had ordered it at a restaurant and then found it at a store. The guy in the wine store talked us into also getting other bottles for 10 euros each, however the 3 euro bottle was much much better.

I am fairly new to these boards, but I can’t believe the whining about an increase in the corkage fee for wine. If cruisers go on a cruise with that kind of an attitude they will probably wind up nitpicking and complaining the whole cruise. A cruise is what you make it.

Thanks for the pearls of wisdom......very helpful:D

Archived