Bringing on a plastic bin...

cruise with baby

Addressing just the logistics and not the propriety of bringing alcohol on board (which is supposedly verbotten, except for wine):

It sounds perhaps like you're driving to the port? If so, then yes, as long as the plastic bin is very sturdy, taped shut and clearly marked, it should get to your cabin. Just remember that the luggage is really manhandled between the time that you leave it with the porter and it is delivered to your room...not intentionally, it's just that there is so much of it, and it gets piled quite high on carts. Ditto for the bottle in your suitcase...wrap it well in bubble wrap and a ziploc bag, especially if your suitcase is softsided.

If you're flying, then it's a whole different story...I wouldn't trust a plastic storage bin filled with beverages as checked luggage on a plane.

First time cruiser, want to bring water, soda and beer in a plastic bin taped with duck tape. Will that work or will they take our cabin supplies? What about alcohol? Can I pack a bottle in my suitcase? Thanks. Maybe already addressed on this site, but just a rookie.

Where were you planning on storing the bin once you are in your cabin? Suitcases just barely fit under the bed. There is very little room to store stuff in the cabins, unless you are in a large suite.

Are you planning to carry the bin yourself as hand baggage?

If you are planning to check this, for the sake of yourself and your fellow passengers, I would ask you to reconsider. Unless I'm misunderstanding the description of the container and its contents, I would be very worried about breakage that could ruin your own and other people's things.

And just adding my two cents (and I'm sure I'll get slammed), but why bother bringing all that on your vacation? Is the cost on the ship THAT much more expensive that you are going to fuss with a plastic bin? Bring a bottle of your favorite scotch (slipped in your luggage of course!) or grab that nice bottle of wine you want to drink. But water, soda and beer in a plastic tub? Just seems like a whole lot more work to me.

But hey, enjoy your cruise either way! ;)

Where were you planning on storing the bin once you are in your cabin? Suitcases just barely fit under the bed. There is very little room to store stuff in the cabins, unless you are in a large suite.

I bring a large bin on every time I cruise since it's the easiest way to tote all my kids' stuff and the bin has always fit perfectly in the closet and doesn't get in the way at all - and I'm always in the smallest rooms. It's remarkably convenient (just remember to pack duct tape to re-secure it at the end of the cruise, and something to cut it all off with when it arrives in your cabin).

Best,

Mia

Lots of people getting on the Crown 9/30 had cases of soda and water strapped onto their rolling carry-ons. Also saw several large-ish coolers in tow. We had a bottle of champagne in our carry-on that went through the x-ray. No problems.

We had a boxed case of wine (each bottled wrapped) and a case of bottled water with us on the CB. We just put luggage tags on each of them and they both arrived safely in our cabin. The porter separated the box from other luggage (I assume to protect other people's luggage). You might tell your porter that the bins contains glass, but if you bubble wrap everything, it should be fine. The only problem I see with putting everything in one bin is that it will be incredibly heavy. You might consider smaller boxes/bins and divide it up. Our bottled water was just the shrink wrapped case you buy in the grocery store.

And just adding my two cents (and I'm sure I'll get slammed), but why bother bringing all that on your vacation? Is the cost on the ship THAT much more expensive that you are going to fuss with a plastic bin? Bring a bottle of your favorite scotch (slipped in your luggage of course!) or grab that nice bottle of wine you want to drink. But water, soda and beer in a plastic tub? Just seems like a whole lot more work to me.

But hey, enjoy your cruise either way! ;)

I absolutely agree.

Archived