Cell Phone question - Please help

Ladylouwho, thanks for the info. I am going to check with verizon to see what their charges are. I suspect they will be the same with charges. I am so glad to know the charges are so steep. When we went to Hawaii the cell phone charges for us to call home were no different for us than regular uses. We were able to call the entire time. I guess the charges are high because it is out of the country.

OSU Mom,

I think you are right. Calls within the 50 states probably have no roaming and cell to cell for family plans probably have no charge within the states. I had no idea the cost would be so high for a cell to cell call on a family plan in the Caribbean, but it is the roaming charge that adds up.

One thing I did notice in finally examining my cell bill from the cruise (thanks to your inquiry), was that my two daughters made many text messages to friends back in Texas and there were no additional charges. We did not text message between me and the girls on ship because I never used to text message. My kids have recently taught me how to do so. (I am 50, so I guess I am a dork, but actually I think I am still pretty hip about things other than text messaging, LOL!!)

So maybe the answer to keep in touch with those on ship and back home is to text message. From what I can tell from my bill, these were cost free. I need to check with Cingular to be sure. I will let y'all know what I find out for sure about the costs.

Archived