Anchorage question:

jspirit

I want to second alaswhales' suggestion to drive north your first day. The reason is that you will have the opportunity to take cruises similar to those in Whittier and Seward in other ports. This will be your one opportunity to go inland a little ways and see something different. When you get an hour away from the coast, the scenery is totally different. If you said what month you were planning this, I missed it. That would make a difference in what would be best, also.

Although, I usually avoid disagreeing with a local Alaskan, there are no tours even remotely similar on the inside passage compared to the superb boat tours out of Whittier and Seward. Valdez- yes, Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway- not even close.

Although, I usually avoid disagreeing with a local Alaskan, there are no tours even remotely similar on the inside passage compared to the superb boat tours out of Whittier and Seward. Valdez- yes, Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway- not even close.
I agree with BQ--Seward and Kenai Fjords NP were the highlights of our recent trip. We saw nothing comparable during the inside passage cruise.

Thanks, all!

I appreciate the thought of keeping our luggage in the car so we don't have to lug it with us, but it seems like an expensive solution if we have to extend out rental time for the 4 hours of the boat tour. We will need to return the car at 11 am. We figured we would check drop off our big bags at the ship, and hopefully have time to put our hand luggage in the cabin closet . If not, we could always take it on the small boat with us, I guess.

I can't believe that without reading the expert advice on Cruise Critic, I would have stayed the 3 days in Anchorage, and perhaps missed out on some of the best tours in Alaska!!!

Thank you for recommending ( strongly) that we spend some time in Seward.

I didn't realize it would cost you an extra rental day if you kept the car just to store your luggage. That would be dumb! If you can't leave it on the cruise ship, the company operating the day cruise will almost certainly let you keep it in their office. My suggestion in such cases however is to never leave your valuables like cash, travelers checks or passports unattended like that. This is not to doubt the credibility of the company's employees. Anyone could potentially sneak around, break in, whatever. Hey, I had valuables stolen in a church once. It was not done by any of the regular attenders.

Thanks, all!

I can't believe that without reading the expert advice on Cruise Critic, I would have stayed the 3 days in Anchorage, and perhaps missed out on some of the best tours in Alaska!!!

Thank you for recommending ( strongly) that we spend some time in Seward.

BTW, if you happen to be travelling with small kids (or are just kids at heart), they will love Seavey's dog sledding/tour while in Seward. This was my kids' favorite excursion during our 12 days in Alaska.

We will need to return the car at 11 am.
Just FYI - I know (from talking through emails) that you are planning on picking up your car at 11am - so 11am is your cut off time for the 48 hours (2 days). Keep in mind though that you do have 59 minutes of play time in there. Be sure to check the actual time on your rental agreement - but they do give you 1 hour grace. Return it 61 minutes late and it's about $40 more.

To others:

I check this out online by requesting a car 1, 2, and 3 hours longer. After 3 hours over your return time you are paying for an entire extra day.

Archived