We have been put in a handicapped room . . .

thymcruisers

As a person who uses a wheelchair for any distance, I can walk short distances, it disgusts me ppl who feel this is ok. I get furious when able bodied ppl take handicap parking places too. Just because you have momma's car with the handicap tag..does NOT entitle you to park in handicap spots.

I turned down the handicap room because I can walk short distances..meaning I can stand up in hallway and make it into the room. I know what it is like to have inconsiderate ppl use handicap facilities when they are blessed with good health. I hope when someone in your family is in same position..you think of the times you prevented a handicap person from traveling or being able to go to a store because handicap spot was taken by a person greedy for a free upgrade or too lazy to walk. Sorry for the rant but the inconsiderate greedy healthy ppl just make me sick. I am blessed because I can walk short distances...many aren't.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
We have heard in this thread about people

• offering to be moved, and getting moved, with compensation
  • many TA's and PVP's advising AB pax that they may be moved if necessary
  • many pax saying the cruise line had no way of knowing, in spite of personalizers
  • zero examples of someone being "forced" out of a HC room
  • one example of HC person saying no HC rooms were available thus she could not cruise when she wanted to

I conclude the cruise lines' policies, privacy issues, training, and computer systems vary wildly. Thus, able-bodied pax can assume, when booking an HC cabin, that they may very well be (but not definitely) preventing an HC person from booking an HC room, regardless of what a TA or PVP says.

FWIW, I have a lot of experience with business info systems, process flows, etc. I can easy imagine the "HC cabin assignment" being a one-way process. The HC cabin assignment could be a result of a phone booking, a Personalizer entry, or the "general public cabin assignment" program (or person), which recommends non-HC cabins until other cabins are booked. If a pax insists on a cabin that is HC, it appears the cruise line will accommodate them.

But... the "booked cabins info" system may not indicate how the cabin came to be booked, only that it is booked. So there may be no way for a PVP pr TA to know whether a HC cabin was booked by a HC person. Short of requiring HC pax documentation of HC to be faxed in, which is unlikely, I don't think the cruise lines have any option but to go by the pax word, whether they requested an HC cabin because of a wheelchair requirement, or because of some perceived benefit.

(All above is speculative.)

booking a cruise online. One of the section you are asked to fill out is about any limitations, i.e. dietary, physical, etc.

Yes, carnival does know who is in what cabin. For whatever reason, at the time of booking, I guess they may not want to or are unable to assure a handicapped person that an accessible cabin will be available if it has already been assigned. But someone knows that an able body is in an accessible cabin. I would think this is when your TA comes into play by contact the cruiseline some time before sailing and again requesting that you be moved. This may have to be done multiple times. I was told it is done. It just may not have been done for you unfortunately.

I think it is unfair to put the blame on other passengers.

Before I took my recent cruise in the Med., I was commissioned by AARP magazine to write an artice on how disabled persons are treated by both crew and other passengers aboard commercial cruise liners. Believe me, I took copious notes!

I will include posts from this board to depict the wide range of attitudes regarding the right/wrong of booking accessable cabins by the able-bodied.

The article will appear in a publication due out in the late spring of next year.

Before I took my recent cruise in the Med., I was commissioned by AARP magazine to write an artice on how disabled persons are treated by both crew and other passengers aboard commercial cruise liners. Believe me, I took copious notes!

I will include posts from this board to depict the wide range of attitudes regarding the right/wrong of booking accessable cabins by the able-bodied.

The article will appear in a publication due out in the late spring of next year.

I'm not sure when your article is due but am taking my cruise on oct 26th. I will be sure to post on this thread my experience with carnival re: treatment of handicap including boarding etc. :)

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
I'm not sure when your article is due but am taking my cruise on oct 26th. I will be sure to post on this thread my experience with carnival re: treatment of handicap including boarding etc. :)

I am not being smart or sarcastic and truly want to know. What treatment are you looking for . . . . equal treatment or special treatment?

O.K. Get the flame throwers and fire extinguishers out :eek:

Our cabin was moved one to two weeks prior to sailing. We were told we would have to move if someone needed handicapped cabin. I firmly believe and questioned this thoroughly that we would have been moved if cabin was needed. It was RCI.

I would never take a handicapped space, nor a cabin, and I have been known to wonder about parking spaces when I see people who do. I then have to step back and remember that many disabilities are not obvious to the human eye, so I try not be judgmental toward people I know nothing about. I have seen people glare at my aunt who has a major heart condition but looks completely healthy when she gets out of her car. I do have compassion for those who are handicapped. My husband has a bum leg from an automobile accident and could qualify for a handicapped tag, etc., but we refuse to do so at this point. Other people need them far worse and we do okay.

Sorry, but nerve hit here. I feel like some of the "innocents" have been bashed by those who are truly handicapped. Sorry, but not our fault. Really have issues with the remark from the person who said "what goes around comes around". I am sorry whatever happened to you happened. I truly, truly am, but that comment was wrong. I wish all people had perfect lives. My best friend's daughter is in a wheel chair from auto accident when she was a senior in high school. I see her and know life is not fair sometimes in many ways, both physically and mentally, but she is a survivor with a positive attitude and not a bitter person. It happened and she can't change it. People are wrong when they abuse handicapped facilities on purpose, BUT it is not my fault when the cruise line offers the room and tells me they will move me if need be, with my blessing.

There is my speech and sorry if it offends anyone.

to all of you who understand that I DID NOT INTENTIONALLY BOOK A HANDICAPPED ACCESSIBLE ROOM! It was offered and we took it BUT I WAS TOLD MANY TIMES THAT WE WOULD BE MOVED IF IT WAS NEEDED.

NO PROBLEM . . . as long as we get a room on the ship - we're happy!

To "UMBARGER" - I am saddened that you feel it was necessary to make comments like "Thymcruisers, what if they do move you and you are not on the Lido deck. What then? I think you will raise a royal stink." AND

"What goes around comes around". You know nothing about me to make such rude assumptions . . . so let me fill you in. I teach High School Special Education and work daily with severly mentally challenged and physically handicapped young adults. I love my job and the students I teach. I would never knowingly take a handicapped accessible room if it meant someone couldn't be on the ship that is handicapped.

Once again, I don't feel we did anything wrong - we didn't call the ship and specifically ask for a handicapped room ! I agree with all who have posted saying that this issue needs to be taken up with the cruise line - DON'T PUBLICLY CHASTISE ME!!!

I am horrid at names so not going to even try lol. Anyhoo, to the person that was curious if I wanted same treatment or special..heck no I want same treatment as I certainly don't want to draw attention to myself. I am self concious as it is. I was meaning in terms of assistance from ship with my wheelchair, place to park my wheelchair at restaurants..really just basics for me.

For anyone that feels I was bashing them...sorry I am not bitter I am disabled at all..they told me at first I had horrible things which equaled death sentence so was very happy with my diagnosis and that I get to see my wonderful husband of 30 yrs and our children every day. I AM bitter about fat lazy ppl taking up handicap parking places and young 20somethings also. In everyones life they will have an elderly relative who becomes maybe not disabled per se, but feeble to point of needing handicap parking or have to stay at home. I would NEVER wish a disability on anyone of any level. I do think sittng back looking at it from anothers viewpoint though. Have you ever had a broken leg or hurt so bad you could barely make it to the bathroom? That short period maybe can help most see it to a certain point. Until you face these challenges daily for years..you can't see what hurts so much physically or emotionally.

My question is..when person told you about the room..did you at any time inquire if there was "another" suitable room or did it not occur to you? I understand many ppl never having faced these issues could easily just not think about it, not meaning to be inconsiderate. I realize this is a touchy subject for healthy ppl. I have touched off major debates just about the handicap parking. I don't mean to imply you feel guilty nor am I really trying to make you feel guilty..just trying to make ppl realize that companies trying to sell rooms may often just book customers without caring of consquences so long as they get their commission (?sp). I know this is a very HOT topic on all forums of any kind. I don't want to make it healthy vs handicap because I just want to bring some understanding. It is very easy to inquire if there are other rooms. My anger in this thread was directed towards ones who felt it was ok to book handicap room in hopes of being upgraded. Not all tour agencies are going to bother to find out if its a healthy person booked in a handicap room. While we were asked about disabilities..we were not asked to provide medical proof..which I think is a cruise line issue that maybe aarp can argue with them and the general public who cares..not the customer.

I just am thinking of those less fortunate than me that can't take a cruise because of those who "deliberately book or accept a handicap room without inquiring about other rooms". If you fit my last sentence I am sorry if you feel I am bashing you but you would be correct. I won't accept one because I can walk short distances and I would love for someone who can't..be able to cruise also. If this makes me mean hearted..then I hate to see half the other population. Just my opinion as a fellow handicap person. I don't want nor expect special consideration for myself since not totally handicapped and grateful but do want it for those who aren't as fortunate /shrug

I feel that if you "know" This is a handicapped room and you are able bodied you should refuse the room. I have a handicapped tag for my car as I have a problem with walking distances. I have rumitoid arthritis and have recently had a total knee replacement and must wait two years to do the other knee. I have been harrassed at work as I do park in a marked spot and I do work 8 hours. After those 8 hours of standing in one place I can hardly walk. I do not park infront of the store leaveing those spaces for those who need the closer spots. But I would never take a handicapped room.

The reason there are so few rooms set aside for "Disabled" passengers is the insurance.

So to OP call the agent and get out of the room!

Alice Faye

5 months to go for "Freedom!"

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
]I am horrid at names so not going to even try lol. Anyhoo, to the person that was curious if I wanted same treatment or special..heck no I want same treatment as I certainly don't want to draw attention to myself. I am self concious as it is. I was meaning in terms of assistance from ship with my wheelchair, place to park my wheelchair at restaurants..really just basics for me.

]For anyone that feels I was bashing them...sorry I am not bitter I am disabled at all..they told me at first I had horrible things which equaled death sentence so was very happy with my diagnosis and that I get to see my wonderful husband of 30 yrs and our children every day. I AM bitter about fat lazy ppl taking up handicap parking places and young 20somethings also. In everyones life they will have an elderly relative who becomes maybe not disabled per se, but feeble to point of needing handicap parking or have to stay at home. I would NEVER wish a disability on anyone of any level. I do think sittng back looking at it from anothers viewpoint though. Have you ever had a broken leg or hurt so bad you could barely make it to the bathroom? That short period maybe can help most see it to a certain point. Until you face these challenges daily for years..you can't see what hurts so much physically or emotionally.[[/color]quote]

if you are making a long post please remove the bold and the red. It is very hard to read and I believe you are making valid points. However after a paragraph or two of the bold big red, I can't comprehend the words. Please turn off the red for long posts. I think most people wont' bother to fight the urge to pass it up.

Thanks.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
Oops sorry. I don't have the best sight even with glasses and have always used that font, size and color on forums. Never had a complaint before but I sure will :) thanks for letting me know it is offensive.

I was trying reading your post and my eyes were getting smaller and smaller and then I couldn't focus. :eek:

Thanks and you have valid points and I am alleged to be able-bodied - yeah right:D . I don't park in handicap (also don't want the parking ticket) and I will not let a cruise ship put me in a handicap if I know about it beforehand.

I was trying reading your post and my eyes were getting smaller and smaller and then I couldn't focus. :eek:

Thanks and you have valid points and I am alleged to be able-bodied - yeah right:D . I don't park in handicap (also don't want the parking ticket) and I will not let a cruise ship put me in a handicap if I know about it beforehand.

Thanks Suzin for being understanding yourself /hugs and hope to meet everyone on a cruise someday. I was looking at cruises scheduled so far for this forum but none atm really fit our times with sons in school but looking forward to a day we can :)

I'd like to thank everyone who has posted on this topic. I had certainly believed that Carnival would move a non-handicapped person from an accessible cabin to make room for someone who needed it. It is now clear to me that, although this may happen at times, it is not consistent, so those of us who are (perhaps temporarily) able-bodied should avoid these cabins.

When I was looking for a cabin near an elevator for my mom, who uses a walker and will be better off not walking long distances, I suggested a couple of cabins to a PVP who told me that they were for the handicapped and my mom might be moved. I avoided the cabins because she doesn't need those particular facilities and because I didn't want her to end up further from the elevator.

I am happy to have better info based on the experiences of CC members. We'll continue to avoid those cabins, and I now understand a lot more about the issue.

Thanks.

All of these posts have been very interesting. We are booked on a Carnival ship at the end of the month and when we asked for a HC room we were told that there were none available. Also, I was told that that the ship only had 4 cabins available for HC. We decided to take a standard cabin, but still had to fill out the paperwork for the special needs dept. No one ever offered me the option for the cabin. Isn't that sad! My husband can't walk and requires a scooter to move around. Also he can't stand he normally sits in the shower, but we will make do with what we got. Personally, I would be very upset if I ever found out that able bodied people were occuping the cabin and I wasn't offered it instead.

Good going for those who give up the cabins with no fight, but if you are booking them just to get "freebies" then shame on you.

Scrufsmom:

What ship are you on? Except for its oldest ships, Carnival has 20+ handicap cabins on each ship. Regardless, I would call and ask for the Special Needs desk and see if they will contact those booked in the HC cabins and make sure that they need them. They have done so for us in the past.

Janet19: Feel free to contact me if you would like an additional information for your article. My email address is deanlandau excite.com. Just add the @.

THYMCRUISER---I think the majority of posters to this thread realize the facts of what happened here and understand the situation. YOU DID NOT request a HC/Accessable room and you have stated that you are willing to give it up should the need arise. I am not sure what more certain posters wish from you. It certainly was not necessary for them to take to a mob lynching mentality as they have and publicly try to berate and beat you down.

Apparently a particular poster chose to use this thread as a forum for their particular soapbox. Let me state, loud and clear, I have understanding and compassion for those that are handicapped and I believe in offering them the reasonable accomodations to which they are entitled. NO ONE would want to challenge my position on that. I have stated it and NO ONE can can argue my position because NO ONE knows

me better than myself.

At the urging of one particular poster to this thread, I went over to read some of the plights of the handicapped on their forum. I suppose I was not overly surprised to find that same poster from this thread, to be over there trying to "stir the pot" and encouraging others to come to this thread and offer HER support.

The comments made regarding non-handicapped or able bodied individuals has gone beyond the necessary. People have been called fat and lazy, inconsiderate, uncaring and many other terms. If an individual feels the need to "educate" others on the hardships of the "Handicapped" individual, I do belive there are much better ways to accomplish that than by going on the attack on the non-handicapped. Creditability is lessened when it

becomes a personal attack on a particular group or group of individuals and yes, non-handcapped is a group just as handicapped is.

I personally am more than willing to accomadate PEOPLE in any way that I can. I will offer to assist the handicapped when possible, just as I will be polite and hold open the door for an able bodied individual. If someone drops an item and I appear to be more capable than them of retreiving that item, I will do so. By the way, I am overweight, have had five orthopedic surgeries, will probably be going through some knee surgry in the near future and could easily qualify as "Handicapped" but I have chosen not to accept that label as of this time. Even with my "LIMITATIONS," I chose to try and be helpful to others, rather than to try

and demand that those MORE ABLE BODIED than me, take up the slack for

my limitations. I realize that there are SOME people who are handicapped beyond the ability to offer assistance to others, but I also realize that there are those who take advantage of their disabilities. I can not and will not speak for any particular individual, because I have not walked in their shoes, but I do think that for those who have a "HANDICAPPED AGENDA" that they wish to promote, it would be much better accepted if it were presented with a spirit of cooperation and understanding, rather than to

come on board, guns loaded, pointing and shooting.

Thymcruiser---I don't think you intentionally set out to harm the handicapped and I don't think you deserve the chastisement that has

been dealt to you by one particular poster. The only conclusion I can come to is that this particular poster is very bitter regarding their position in life and that they choose to try and make others around them miserable as well. Somehow I bet, if that poster wanted on the same cruise as you, and they could not go because no handicapped/accessable room was available, I just bet, YOU would give up that cruise and room to allow that person the ability to go. I don't think you are a bad person at all.

to all of you who understand that I DID NOT INTENTIONALLY BOOK A HANDICAPPED ACCESSIBLE ROOM! It was offered and we took it BUT I WAS TOLD MANY TIMES THAT WE WOULD BE MOVED IF IT WAS NEEDED.

To "UMBARGER" - I am saddened that you feel it was necessary to make comments like "Thymcruisers, what if they do move you and you are not on the Lido deck. What then? I think you will raise a royal stink." AND

"What goes around comes around". You know nothing about me to make such rude assumptions . . . so let me fill you in. I teach High School Special Education and work daily with severly mentally challenged and physically handicapped young adults. I love my job and the students I teach. I would never knowingly take a handicapped accessible room if it meant someone couldn't be on the ship that is handicapped.

Once again, I don't feel we did anything wrong - we didn't call the ship and specifically ask for a handicapped room ! I agree with all who have posted saying that this issue needs to be taken up with the cruise line - DON'T PUBLICLY CHASTISE ME!!!

Hey NorthAlabama I see you and us are scheduled for same cruise this month! Hope to see you onboard :). That being said, I think you made some good points. I agree I did come off as being on a soapbox. Most of my angst has come from situations at our local superwalmart lol..oiy walmart a whole bowl of worms anyway. I have sat in my vehicle and watched, yes fat lazy ppl who not only park in handicap, use electric wheelchair inside and out to car...just to get up and run towards a friends vehicle to hug them etc. It has happend more times than I can count. I shouldn't have put it the way I did however as that was rude. It was the memory of these sights though that makes me shudder. I like you do not give in any more than I have to for safety reasons ( my balance is about as good as a person way beyond legal drinking limit lol) to my condition. I don't use my wheelchair except to go long distances or over rough ground. I don't use the wheelchair or electric vehicle in walmart but don't go very far in there either but fear if I give in, will be permanently in need of it. So far can do short trips hanging onto store cart walking with my cane inside of shopping cart. Maybe our town just has more lazy sots lol. I watched a young couple just a few days ago in their 20's approx. park not only in handicap spot but in handicap van parking. They jumped out right in front of a policeman who did nothing :( , and trotted into store. They didnt even attempt to fake it. A lot of my anger doesn't come for myself since my family almost always drives me and drops me off at door, then parks in regular parking spot. It comes for my mother who is fighting to stay independent with severe osteoarthritis that is degenerating fast. She still drives herself to the store..and has to go back home many times because no space close enough available. She has had many options removed because of lack of services for handicapped. I know many handicap ppl are overweight due to being unable to have much movement..and was not meaning to refer to them so was very wrong in how I put it. I was "in my head" visioning the 20something overweight running bouncing ppl I have seen in walmart parking lot but didn't put it eloquently like I should have.

If you see a blonde woman in a blue wheelchair, that will be me with my hubby, blonde too pushing me..say hi if ya see us. I hope your cruise is great one.

You posted on a public forum. We are permitted on this forum to voice our opinions. You asked for the disadvantage/advantages to booking a handicapped cabin and information on these cabins. We have told you. I'm sorry you don't like some of your answers.

We are not trying to chastise you. We are trying to educate you, but you just don't get it. We have tried to prove to you that it is highly unlikely you will be moved from your handicapped cabin and you will affect a handicapped person wanting to cruise. Julie19, being disabled, called Carnival and asked for your cabin. Were you contacted? Were you moved? No! In fact, the Carnival rep said there was no way of knowing if the person booked in your cabin was handicapped. Doesn't this prove our point?

We have tried to prove to you that the information your PVP gave you was incorrect.

You are the one who said, “We wanted a Lido deck cabin” Why in the world would you book a cabin you may be moved from if you want to stay on the Lido deck? This makes no sense to me.

You have said, "we wanted a room on the LIDO deck" but later post, "as long as we get a room on the ship - we're happy!" So, which is it? If the latter is true switch your room. This way you will have no chance of not letting a handicapped person cruise.

You say, “I agree with all who have posted saying that this issue needs to be taken up with the cruise line” Does that make it the Cruise lines fault? Yes, partly. But, what about a little thing called personal responsibility. Isn't this something we all want to have. Something you want to instill in your disabled students or your own children.

I wish you no ill will. What goes around comes around, is just a saying. If you choose to take it personally that is your decision.

You said, "I am wondering if we will get moved to a better room - perhaps an outside room" I truly hope you get upgraded to your outside room and that you have a wonderful cruise.

I honestly think some people are being a little harsh here. I understand everyone's points, but give the OP a break. Yes, they asked for the advantages/disadvantages. You gave them. They read them. And I'm sure they will act in what they feel is the best interest or themselves and others. I feel that some people are getting very hostile and pretty much "mean" with their posts. Relax, this is supposed to be a helpful board. If you continue to attack the OP and others, this thread will be deleted and it would be a shame. It's very informative and should be kept alive!

Everyone sit back, take a sip of a foo foo drink, and relax.:)

(portions of quoted post deleted)

You say, “I agree with all who have posted saying that this issue needs to be taken up with the cruise line” Does that make it the Cruise lines fault? Yes, partly. But, what about a little thing called personal responsibility. Isn't this something we all want to have. Something you want to instill in your disabled students or your own children.

I wish you no ill will. What goes around comes around, is just a saying. If you choose to take it personally that is your decision.

"First come, first served" is another saying. If you need an HC room, it is "a little thing called personal responsibility" for you to book them far enough in advance when they are available. Your post seems pretty condescending and mean-sprited to me. JMO. Maybe you don't realize how it is coming across to others. Good luck and happy sailing to all.

Archived